Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Resorts in March

Poster: A snowHead
Any tips on good resorts in March, I know the higher the better, but just wondering if any stand out.

Ive been Tignes, Ischgl, Kaprun....probs some other higher ones but never in March.

Dont mind going somewhere less obvious than all the main ones, wouldnt mind saving a bit of cash if thats an opton.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Sarny, What date in March?

School hols can come into play as well as altitude and aspect
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
5/6th or 27th.

Maybe 10th April.

What holidays?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have a look at some of the Top 10s here: https://www.weathertoski.co.uk/top-10s/
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

School hols can come into play as well as altitude and aspect

I think the mid winter holidays finish March 6th so should be OK the week after. I think the next school holidays start April 10th but I doubt it will be significantly more busy that week even if it does include the start of Easter.

Early March generally has the deepest snow depths of the season and IMHO is the best time to go skiing. Do not worry too much about going very high. Choose a rersort you fancy going to
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Early March generally has the deepest snow depths of the season and IMHO is the best time to go skiing. Do not worry too much about going very high. Choose a rersort you fancy going to

This. But not France in the first week - still peak French school holidays. Week beginning 5 March is ideal.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Agree with pam w

6th March great time to go. Anywhere.

I have a week booked 27th March to Tignes but would not venture too low at that date

10th April is in the Easter hols and possibly expensive
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We switched our lads boarding trip from February to March over 10 years ago and it was a good decision.
We always seem to get fresh snow while we are on holiday. And most years there have been big storms on the run up.

If we are going to a lower resort we will usually go on one of the first 2 weeks of March. But that's just us being cautious booking a long time in advance.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SO Tignes or VT, anything in Austria/Italy?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alpe D'Huez?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My skiing mad family always choose Val d’isere in March.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Never loved Tignes or Val tbh, dont know why....but if needs must.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The climate crisis may have changed this but the equinox was always famed for storms and as a consequence more snow. That is why March is time to go skiing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We’re going to Cervinia in mid March, worth a look.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ParadiSki in France (La Plagne/Les Arcs) as most of it sits above 2000 meters. From early march you get a little bit of freeze-thaw, but the excellent snow conditions and miles upon miles of pistes completely outweigh that.
snow report
Ischgl will be perfect, Obergurgl as well but smaller
Les Arcs 2000, Tignes, Val Tho, 3V for France.
Cervinia linked to Zermatt with hopefully less wind/storm related closures.
Zermatt for CH and Saas Fe
So many good options to choose from.
snow conditions
5th/6th March - Alpe d'Huez will be lovely........it's not called the isle in the sun for nothing

But anywhere should be good that week
snow report
Verbier would be my choice
snow conditions
For the 5th of March there shouldn't be the need to list any resorts suitable, anywhere should still be good then.

As you move towards the end of the month you may want to start considering higher resorts but even then most resorts should be ok higher up.

I go to Austria mainly, and I believe that a lot of the resorts have a fixed date for closing.
Usually these dates start sometime in April, depending on the resort. I would guess that many of the resorts could remain open for weeks after they close if the decision was based on snow cover alone. But I think it may be due to turning over the land to the farmers.

Can anyone on here comment on this? Is what I have heard correct?
ski holidays
That and many mountain workers/operators tend to have other jobs that kick off in Spring, when things get warmer (thawed out!) and the days are longer.

Certainly our area closes end 1st week April.
ski holidays
Quote:

I would guess that many of the resorts could remain open for weeks after they close if the decision was based on snow cover alone. But I think it may be due to turning over the land to the farmers.

In France (can't speak for anywhere else) it's also about a lack of punters. Once the 4 week "vacances scolaire" is over, the French season is on the downward slope. Which is why the second and third weeks in March are such a great time to visit, with quiet slopes and generally good snow cover. Snow cover at the end of the season is variable, to put it mildly. I skied in the Arly Valley, which is comparatively low, on the last couple of days of their season several times - quite a few inessential lifts closed. The snow cover was superb, and it was almost totally deserted. On the other hand, I've also been there a week or so before the close, when there has been masses of brown grass and socking great deep puddles of meltwater. Same time of year. End of season (whatever the dates, and wherever it is) is a time for making last minute plans, not booking weeks in advance.
ski holidays
March 26th Week it is for me, So i guess I need to look at the high ones only>2000 meteres
snow report
@Jagerbull, Most big resorts stay open until Easter Monday, even if it is late like this year. Ski Amade will have slopes open up to 19 Apr 22.

@Sarny, Nonsense. Aspect is equally important if not more so as you get into late March. It doesn't really matter about altitude in Europe when the Sun is blazing down, It will all be slush by 2pm. Quite a lot of my area (Ski Amade) has North Facing Pistes which remain in good nick right through the day and into to mid-April as they are mostly in shadow. Plus, in Austria we actually get more precipitation in March than Jan and Feb, which leads to some super powder days. I have my best buddies coming out on-mass 2-9 Apr 22 and I wouldn't risk it if I didn't think we'd have good snow.
latest report
Problem is shadow isnt always the nicest to ski in is it, always like the sun, never love low light
snow report
Sarny wrote:
March 26th Week it is for me, So i guess I need to look at the high ones only>2000 meteres

What’s your ski level? If you’re into Freeride that’s the week of the Verbier Xtreme, FWT finals. Pretty good fun mixing it up with some of the best riders on the planet snowHead
Top vibe in town too

St Anton is another non French option if you’ve not been. And Chamonix / Courmayeur or Zermatt/Cervinia if you want to mix in a bit of Italian ?
snow conditions
No freeride, mainly pistes, so what resorts have good north facing?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy