Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nevis Range - the ski area that closes for winter?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Unsurprising, and though not quite as bad as the rumours that had been going around it stinks of the dead hand of HIE!

https://www.nevisrange.co.uk/snowsports-23-and-24/

Also regularly getting the line that there’s not been a winter since 2018 from CairnGorm which ignores 2 very good seasons largely written off because of covid. It’s highly questionable that negatively impacted Nevis in 2021. Because the ski areas had been cleared to operate under Level 4 lockdown and spent not insignificant sums setting up to meet the Level 4 operating rules, they were give very substantial grant aid of £1.5m per resort when they were shutdown after 10 days of operating under level 4 lockdown.

The outgoings would have been substantially reduced by not operating lifts, while the majority of staffing costs were met by the government furlough scheme.

A wee bit of contrition that they made some mistakes and bad choices would not go amiss. Perhaps finances would be better if they spent less time and effort galavanting around the country trying to pick up business awards to say how amazing the CEO who got them into this mess is! rolling eyes
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've already started a discussion about this in the Scotland snow conditions thread.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
haggishunter wrote:
Unsurprising, and though not quite as bad as the rumours that had been going around it stinks of the dead hand of HIE!

denfinella wrote:
Snowsports update for the coming season from Nevis Range: https://www.nevisrange.co.uk/snowsports-23-and-24/

So my thoughts....
I don't like the bad news from Aonach Mor.
However I am going to salute Nevis Range for delivering unwelcome message in honest and candid manner.
I am massive advocate of Scottish snowsports. Grew up skiing here and want my kids to experience the same.

However it needs to be acknowledged the Scottish ski "eco-system" is presently looking fragile:
i) Snow dome to be demolished
ii) Nevis Range going to limited opening. Braveheart and Warrens mothballed. No season pass sales or ski school
iii) Cairngorm funicular remains f--ked despite HIE spending £20 million on it. Will it open this winter?
iv) Glenshee seemed to be limited to Cairnwell & Sunnyside only last winter

Climate change is a real challenge.
Scottish skiing was always marginal with mountains at 1000m.
Plus none of the resorts have ever fully recovered from covid closures.
Since 2020 we had 2x winters of covid blank followed by a no snow-season in 2023.
What all the resorts need is a decent 2024 snow-season.

That is not the entire story though.
Certainly HIE need to be removed from having any future influence at Cairngorm and Nevis Range.
The funding for the funicular has been to detriment of the ski-area (and other areas in Scotland).
There needs to be recognition that while ski areas might lose money they bring visitors to the Highlands during the winter period, which would otherwise be low-season for tourism.

I remain hopeful that Nevis Range will endure the storm.
The hotel, conference centre, and bike tracks means they should have sustainable summer business (unlike Cairngorm).
If they can make money in summer (8 months of year) and employee staff year round then assuming we get snow the winter (4 months) will look after itself.

Oddly Glencoe seems uniquely placed to endure the challenges
- close to central belt
- small ski area. nimble operation that can ramp up if / when snow arrives
- snowsure on upper-runs.

Having said all that I am still hopefully we will still get some decent Scottish winters in the future.
As ever you just need to be opportunistic and willing to take advantage when periods of good snow and weather arrive.

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Scottish ski "eco-system" is presently looking fragile:
i) Snow dome to be demolished
ii) Nevis Range going to limited opening. Braveheart and Warrens mothballed. No season pass sales or ski school
iii) Cairngorm funicular remains f--ked despite HIE spending £20 million on it. Will it open this winter?
iv) Glenshee seemed to be limited to Cairnwell & Sunnyside only last winter

But..but..but, you seemed to have left out the 25,000 km2 playground that is the Scottish Highlands Little Angel And what is more it costs nothing to ski there Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowheid wrote:

But..but..but, you seemed to have left out the 25,000 km2 playground that is the Scottish Highlands Little Angel And what is more it costs nothing to ski there Toofy Grin

I love ski-touring.

However:
i) it doesn't work with kids
ii) most of the folk touring in Highlands learned basic skills in a Scottish resort first

A snowy winter very much essential for greater good of Scottish snowsports this winter.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

A snowy winter very much essential for greater good of Scottish snowsports this winter.

Amen to that
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

i) it doesn't work with kids
ii) most of the folk touring in Highlands learned basic skills in a Scottish resort first

Personally I learnt at Hillend dry slope as a kid - not great fun but taught me the basics and not dependant upon snow falling from the sky, so some Scottish infrastructure remains Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skied Nevis Range on Friday 20 March 2020, two days before we went in to the first lockdown

Superb conditions with unlimited visibility and boot top powder in the Back Bowls

Skied Glencoe the day before with similar conditions and was blown away by the whole area - sights, skiing, food & drink, welcome, value for money

It's a real shame that Mother Nature doesn't consistently play ball because both are up there as ski experiences

I think it's a great press release and a very sensible solution to an unsolvable problem

There are plenty of places around the ski world which are open part time

This could be the making and saving of the area
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy