Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UK passport stamping at borders

Poster: A snowHead
The Covid-19 testing threads didn't seem complicated enough so I thought I'd bring Brexit back into the mix wink

Anyone who's been abroad recently, was your passport automatically stamped on the way out / way back, or did you have to ask for it? (Please state mode of transport / destination.)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yep : out & back @ MUC airport 13/20 Nov - we're "rest of the world" now so will (should) be done automatically as a matter of course
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
3 flights into the EU recently (Greece, France and the Netherlands) 2 were stamped in and all 3 out. At this rate we'll all need to be replacing our passports well before the 10 years are up.

I hear we will also be requiring visas next year.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stamped on the way out at Eurotunnel. Will see what happens on the way back in.

When I was a kid and first traveled abroad it was exciting to have my passport stamped. Tangible evidence of the opportunity to travel. Now I see it for what it really is, tangible evidence of my travel opportunities being controlled, I’m less excited to have my passport sullied in this way.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My Passport was stamped automatically on the way out at Dover by the French border official, and on the way back in by the French border official at Calais.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Previous 2 Eurotunnel trips ths year passports stamped both ways..
Recently got Irish passport - dad was born in Ireland. Mrs Pim is English.
This time no stamping on either passport.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Out and back twice this year - passport was stamped by the French both ways for the 1st and out only for the 2nd. On the 2nd return Police aux Frontières asked where I had been, Italy, was I resident, yes, please show me your residence card, certainly, thank you, bonjour and bon voyage.

I suspect that stamping the passport is, however, purely symbolic (or it soon will be) because on all four occasions the passport went through a scanner and the "Schengen" computer will doubtless remember the scan.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've flown in and out of Munich and Vienna three times since September, no stamps but I had to show my 'Article 50 EU Karte' (the new post-Brexit residence card) each time otherwise it would have been stamped (which would be problematic). With the card all easy and smooth though.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In & out of Greece twice in Sept & Oct and both stamped both ways although the ink was clearly running low as it’s hardly legible.

I have heard of some being refused entry if they forget to stamp on your way back as you can’t prove how long you’ve already been in the EU so ask. As our stamps are faint, I’ll be taking our travel docs from our previous trips to prove our dates & you’re advised to ask them to manually note in the passport the info to save any future issues.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I suspect the stamping is purely symbolic and the real checking is done on the scan (you may be on some "person of intestest" list afterall). I'm not sure about this checking for 90 days stuff either since I'm not totally convinced that it is being implemented. We could, for example, go to Slovinia from Croatia. Though in the EU Croatia does not count in our 90 Schengen allowance. Technically we could oscilate between the two counties for as long as we wish. ensuring we catch every crossing from one country to the other could be a nightmare.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As someone that has never been part of EU I always have my passport stamped, it’s cool as a memory but on exit immigration officers always (actually not so sure about the french though, they tend to go so quickly that makes me wonder if they check anything) check for the entry stamp and it’s trouble if they don’t see it.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What happens if you use the automatic passport machines? Virtual stamping?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
When Brexit happened, we had left the UK for France at the start of Dec and came back mid Jan. On leaving France, the border guy couldnt understand why we didnt have a stamp for arriving in France and we had to show we left in Dec which was easy as I had the tunnel booking on my phone.
In 2021 we've had a few trips to and from France and each has been double stamped apart from one where the passport check points for the French side on coming back at the tunnel didnt have anyone working so we drove through
The french consulate have said they use the stamps for the 90 days in 180 but if its questioned, I'd need to show my return to the UK tunnel booking and subsequent returns to france as I 'couldnt be coming back to france if I hadnt left' sort of logic to validate the days in france etc
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NE1 wrote:
What happens if you use the automatic passport machines? Virtual stamping?

E-gates going in but pretty sure most manual on exit now (or make sure to exit through a manual border point). That exit stamp is crucial.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
johnE wrote:

Yep.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/etias/
snow conditions
ptex wrote:
johnE wrote:

Yep.

Nope, it's not a visa, and you don't need it until the end of next year. And they're €7 for 3 years' validity.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 13-12-21 15:11; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Yes. Passport manually checked and stamped in and out of Portugal.
latest report
James the Last wrote:
ptex wrote:
johnE wrote:

Yep.

Nope, it's not a visa, and you don't need it until the end of next year. And they're €7 for 3 years' validity.

Being specific, yes, but it's essentially the same as an ESTA; have a look at the information required - not too far off the information for visas that I've had to get for countries outside of the EU. Medical conditions, other countries travel and criminal record questions; for a weekend skiing? Really?

Don't get me wrong, if this is needed, fair enough but to also have to give evidence of proof of realtionship for those travelling as well with EU citizens seems a bit much, unless this has an upside of those realtives not having a 90 day limitation.

How things have changed.
snow report
Eurotunnel in August stamped both ways. Looking forward to next Christmas (tbc) when it will be fingerprints and retinas checked for ETIAS .... and no doubt passports stamped as well, I guess we will have to factor in spending a day at the tunnel or maybe 30! Laughing

https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/system/files/2018-04/20180425_etias_en.pdf

https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/policies/schengen-borders-and-visa/smart-borders/european-travel-information-authorisation-system_en

Last time I looked introduction was from May next year now its the end of 2022, looks like the introduction is on a slippery slope rolling eyes
snow report
Passport stamped out and back July/August 2021 at Eurotunnel.
Passport stamped out 11 December 2021 Eurotunnel.
latest report
Interaction at passport control, Toulouse airport, 10 December 2021.

I hand him passport.

Him: ‘Do you live in England?’
Me: ‘Yes’

Stamps passport and sends me on my way.
snow report
Does it actually matter?
ski holidays
Flew into Ibiza a couple of months ago and back out of Palma. Automated gate going in followed by a manual stamp at another desk. Same procedure coming back.
Going in, quite a queue for covid paperwork checks k weekend party crowd with no clue to blame) and automated gates but those thinned the line out before the manual and that was queue free so no extra time to speak of. No issue/coming back, well not on the Spanish side.
ski holidays
Super Steezy wrote:
Does it actually matter?
could do if you don't get stamped out and no longer have proof of when you left. If you leave tomorrow and come back next December they will think you have been here a whole year and won't let you in and will ban you going forward.
snow conditions
Stamped at overseas airports every time I've flown since Brexit - even at airports where I went through the automated passport readers, I still then had to go to a booth beyond them where an immigration officer stamped my passport
ski holidays
This week will be my 4th time going through a UK border and with presenting an Art50 card before the passport no stamping has occured.... yet. If it ever does happen I have the information at hand to request a cancellation stamp.
snow report
Curious what is the issue with getting passports stamped? I love the sound it makes and the happy feeling that I have reached my destination.
ski holidays
Ozboy wrote:
Curious what is the issue with getting passports stamped? I love the sound it makes and the happy feeling that I have reached my destination.

yup & it creates a memory. I remember the conversation with Mr Passportman when arriving for a trip to LV 10 years ago. Similar when crossing Rainbow Bridge with the Canadian Border Patrol.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ozboy wrote:
Two issues. What if it is not stamped as you exit the country? Potentially this could lead to some bureaucratic hassles if you have a time limit for visiting the country.

The second issue, for me at least, is that it is a symbolic reminder that I am not free to travel the world as I wish. When I was a kid it was exciting to get my passport stamped. It did help create a memory. But now I’m a bit wiser and have the opportunity to travel a bit more the act of stamping my passport is a symbolic gesture of the lack of my personal ‘sovereignty’ to travel where I want. I have a camera for recording memories.
snow report
@rob@rar, fair enough I’m not fussed either way given everything is electronically recoded. I get your point about freedom of travel but it works both ways as some people should not be entitled to free movement and sadly we need safeguards and checks. (I am not starting an immigration / brexit debate here)
ski holidays
@ptex, "How things have changed."

But no surprises.
snow report
Ozboy wrote:
@rob@rar, fair enough I’m not fussed either way given everything is electronically recoded. I get your point about freedom of travel but it works both ways as some people should not be entitled to free movement and sadly we need safeguards and checks. (I am not starting an immigration / brexit debate here)
On the practical point, if it is recorded electronically, what is the point of slowing down the process of entry and exit by physically stamping the passport?
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Ozboy wrote:
On the practical point, if it is recorded electronically, what is the point of slowing down the process of entry and exit by physically stamping the passport?

It's a separate physical record that the traveller can use to demonstrate when they entered and left the Schengen zone, if the electronic system should ever have incorrect/incomplete data (not unheard of with IT systems wink )
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
It's a separate physical record that the traveller can use to demonstrate when they entered and left the Schengen zone, if the electronic system should ever have incorrect/incomplete data (not unheard of with IT systems wink )
Agreed, which is why it's an issue if you're not stamped on the way out.

Either stamping a passport is important or it's not important. If it is important, it should be done right. If it's not important it shouldn't be done at all.
snow report
@rob@rar, yep.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:
Agreed, which is why it's an issue if you're not stamped on the way out.

Either stamping a passport is important or it's not important. If it is important, it should be done right. If it's not important it shouldn't be done at all.

Like letting back-markers through
latest report
@rob@rar, @Alastair Pink, Yep, it's nonsense at the moment. I have into france and out of france in October, into france again in October, into france in December. I am still physically in france at the moment but the gap does concern me. A bit of talk about this on truck driver forums too and it appears to be random ie if they don't have the time / inclination / people at Calais they don't do it.
The upside down one is the latest rolling eyes but from 27/10 to 12/12 it's anybody's guess where I was.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 14-12-21 22:41; edited 3 times in total
latest report
Ozboy wrote:
Like letting back-markers through
Laughing
snow report
Dual national here.

The first time we came back to the UK this year we thought we'd travel to the UK on our UK passports, then to the continent on our European passports.

Got to French border control at tunnel:
French border control bloke: "Where are your stamps? When did you arrive in Europe?"
Me: rolls eyes, gets out continental passports: "It's our first time. Here are our stamps"
He smiles(!), checks them briefly, doesn't stamp them of course, on we drive.
We use European for European, and UK for the UK now. No stamps.

For you regular travellers, you used to be able to order thicker passports. Don't know if that's still an option.
latest report
Decades ago (and possibly still now) some countries hated others so much that if you as a visitor to country A had in your passport the stamp of country B which A hated then they would not let you in as you were clearly visiting B.
To get round this HMG would allow those who encountered this problem to have multiple passports.
At least one country tried to negate this by stamping an entry stamp on an official piece of paper which was kept with your passport and then returned to them in lieu of a stamp upon your exit - and voila no record in your passport that you had ever been in the country.
I used to work in an international exporting firm and I remember one sales staff member I think had 3 passports and told tales of another he once met with 4 passports: it was a regular issue at the time for internationally traveling business people to shall we diplomatically say "non-western type countries".
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy