Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Damage to Boot During Flight

Poster: A snowHead
Returned from Canada on Monday and finally getting round to unpacking everything. Delighted to discover that my right ski boot has now got a huge split in the shell. As I skied on our last day and then packed the boots away I can only assume this happened during transit or ground handling.

Have filed a claim with Air Canada but no idea what the likelihood of any success is. Humph.

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Impressive ! Where was it in your bag - on the top ? Just looks like it’s been squashed. Good luck with your claim !
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Certainly I can appreciate the situation where it may have been subjected to a high weight during transit, but it would seem to ask just as many questions about the structural integrity of the boot material.

They may not be designed to take any force with impunity but that looks substantially below what a ski boot should be able to endure. The fact that it's cracked along a "fualt" line at the change in material point shows there's something more in the manufacturing all things considered.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@narbs, How old were the boots? I had a pair of Dynafit boots crack when I tripped up some steps to a lift.

As mentioned above, that definitely looks like a structural failure at a weak point, rather than mechanical damage. I appreciate that they weren't broken when handed over to the airline, but it would have taken being run over to damage a boot to level, so if there was no sign of damage to the boot bag, you might not have much of a case.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How old are the boots? Plastic can get old and brittle.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@PowderAdict, yeah, it's a pretty clean split isn't it?

They're only three years old but of course I don't have a receipt or card statement from that long ago.

I'll just pass it off to experience and treat myself to a nice new pair. If Air Canada are happy to chip in then I'll raise a glass to them!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@narbs, you should be able to download a credit card statement from your bank from 3 years ago. It doesn’t need to be one that came in the post.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Scarlet, indeed I can, thanks! Was just looking at the app version.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@narbs, as an aside, why weren't they handluggage?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
@narbs, as an aside, why weren't they handluggage?

Never put them in hand luggage in 20 years!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@narbs, No bank statement/ card statement from 3 years ago? As @Scarlet, says download.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They're 20 years old? wink A friend had her boots (bought by her tight husband on eBay) collapse in Les Contamines one day. Fortunately I had some powder traces in my back pack - and they did the job, to get us home (then she hired some decent boots). the only other use I ever had for the powder traces was lashing up some snow chains which didn't properly fit my wheels.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@narbs, why not? credit cards sort almost anything other than lost boots!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I presume you had them buckled tight? Hard to imagine the sort of weight/impact that could do that to boots without causing huge amounts of damage to the rest of your bag/case, or other nearby luggage, so it speaks to a manufacturing defect or previous un-recognised damage. That said, AC and/or your insurance will likely pony up at least some money just to make the claim go away.

Personally I always carry my boots as hand luggage. It's less about the cost of replacing the boots, and more about the time/effort involved to get a replacement pair properly fitted/adjusted/punched, especially if in a resort I don't know where I also need to work out which bootfitters are genuinely good. That's a full day's worth of holiday right there
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@narbs, couldn't happen to a nicer bloke ( or Richard ).
latest report
Or to put it another way, "put the violin away" and pack your kit in appropriate cases. Completely your problem.
snow report
narbs wrote:
...Never put them in hand luggage in 20 years!
Maybe it would be worth starting by thinking about why other people take more care of their stuff?
ski holidays
thecramps wrote:
Or to put it another way, "put the violin away" and pack your kit in appropriate cases. Completely your problem.

No violin here luv, but thanks for your heartfelt concern.
snow report
@narbs,
I had a pair of Technica boots that split after a few years. It turned out that it was a known problem with that model. They were quite old at the time and Technica agreed to replace them with the (vastly) updated model at the dealer price.
It might be worth doing some investigation.
ski holidays
@zzz, good idea, thanks. I'll raise it with Dalbello directly.
snow conditions
Mine have never been anything but hold baggage (less flying recently as family mostly travel by car) even at considerable age, Nordica boots that have had one toe buckle ripped off in accident (broke the metal rivet not the plastic ) and repaired, both inner cuff pivots replaced as the metal swageing wore away. They've seen alot of use and stress, but never a plastics material failure, literally as tough as old boots.

The break is classically a fault line induced structural failure, however it occurred. Likely it's propagated in use, obviously it shouldn't have.

I believe you should approach the manufacturer, not just for your own requirements, but they are genuinely interesting to a manufacturing process analysis as much can be learned from clear failure especially within unitary structures. Anyone in production will honestly want to see things like this to consider in product development and ultimately liability.

It doesn't appear the owner has done much wrong, worth considering the manufacturer route I believe.
ski holidays
Update - Air Canada have agreed to pay, minus an agreed amount for depreciation.

Dalbello offered to assist and provide a report outlining their view that the damage was caused by a large force but thankfully wasn't needed. They have the images anyway, so if there's anything to look at internally it's in their hands.

Four days from reporting to resolution - kudos to Air Canada.
snow conditions
Excellent result from both companies. Dalbello following up supporting their boots, and from Air Canada who I guess handle more ski boots than any other airline, and may well have seen such damage before.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy