Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

QST Base Repair Question

Poster: A snowHead
I’m looking for a bit of advice, on two counts. We bought my son some QST 92s this summer. He’s skied on them for two weeks now, once with Uni and then last week in Tignes. Both weeks, the snow was excellent.

The QSTs were showing quite a bit of wear after the first week - mainly the edge of the top sheet peeling away (delaminating?) badly in numerous places. Is this to be expected?

Secondly, last week he also managed to take a chunk out of the base on the one thin, stony piste of the week. How easy is a base repair to do oneself, or is that something best left to the experts?

This is the first time we’ve bought skis, hence the newbie questions. I’ll try and post some pics if anyone needs.

Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A base repair is surprisingly easy to do - SpyderJon of this parish offers training https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/com-virtuemart/com-virtuemart-menu-categories/the-piste-office-store/tuning-technician-tuition.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Excellent advice as mentioned above if you want to increase your ski knowledge.

If you're not confident of practicing on fairly new skis, then Bartlett Ski near Uxbridge is probably best and closest route.

Also from the above, I've previously got from them scrap used skis from their skip to practice repair/drilling/edge prep on for a no risk way to give your new skills a sample run up with.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rainman wrote:
I’m looking for a bit of advice, on two counts. We bought my son some QST 92s this summer. He’s skied on them for two weeks now, once with Uni and then last week in Tignes. Both weeks, the snow was excellent.

The QSTs were showing quite a bit of wear after the first week - mainly the edge of the top sheet peeling away (delaminating?) badly in numerous places. Is this to be expected?

Secondly, last week he also managed to take a chunk out of the base on the one thin, stony piste of the week. How easy is a base repair to do oneself, or is that something best left to the experts?

This is the first time we’ve bought skis, hence the newbie questions. I’ll try and post some pics if anyone needs.

Thanks in advance.

Delam is bad. Take pics and go back to shop / manufacturer with them.

Wouldn’t worry too much about base damage unless it’s exposing the edge. Best left to the pros in my opinion as will likely need a base grind after to get flat.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@BobinCH, it is right up against the edge, which is what has worried me about it. I’ll give Bartlett a shout. Thanks.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
De-lamination should be a warranty issue, as long as you bought from a UK retailer they should be able to help you out with it.
The base damage is best done by a pro, it'll need proper "edge grip" to hold it strong and a base grind to make sure the base us 100% flat again.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They came from Ekosport, so time to test their customer service!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BobinCH wrote:

Wouldn’t worry too much about base damage unless it’s exposing the edge. Best left to the pros in my opinion as will likely need a base grind after to get flat.

Depends on how likely he is to do it again! Madeye-Smiley
My son seems to not differentiate between skiing on snow or rocks, so I get to do quite a few base repairs. rolling eyes Madeye-Smiley
Metalgrip and the base welding tool (essentially a soldering iron) topped of with ptex seems to hold in there pretty well. Can then get it decently flat with the surform plane and the metal scraper.
If it's big enough to warrant a patch, then it's off to the shop to do.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 24-12-21 10:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The last think you need is a base grind. Any decent shop or DIY'er can dress down a repair flat and restructure etc.

Post some pics of the top sheet and the base.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Never tried sharing photos before so this may take a couple of goes…

https://flic.kr/ps/3Y3bod
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
First three shots are the top-sheet edges, last one is the rather large hole in the base!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@stuarth, I did point out that I had skied the same run, on my brand new Scott SUVs, with no discernible marks. 18yr olds…
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
He ski those through a carpark?

Proximity to the edge makes me see that core shot as a shop job rather than a DIY fix. Especially if it is your first go.

Topsheet damage looks more like chipping than delamination but it's hard to tell from that angle. Side on view of the sidewall would be better. If it's just chipping then that's normal wear and tear. I'd put some epoxy on it and call it good. Delam is a warranty issue, as others have said.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@gorilla, thanks for the response re top sheet. I’m unsure as to how much of that should be expected - the skis travelled in a bag and were skied on very snowy slopes in VT for one week, so I was surprised to see the level of peeling/ chipping. But happy to take guidance on that. Will post a side-on when I’m home.

The base was one piste in Tignes which had a few loose stones, but definitely not rock-hopping level so how the f@*€ he’s managed that is beyond me!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd be surprised if that was genuinely a warranty situation for the top sheet, although it's difficult to see exactly how much and how far the damage extends just from photos.

De lam is ordinarily showing as a substantial part of the layer peeling away from the sub layers. Gloss/gel coat cosmetic top finish if it's chipping away will normally be from clattering the skis together while skiing, unsightly but some ski designs will be more vulnerable than others after fairly small usage.

Can you get your fingernail under the edge of the chipped areas to show the layer is further peeling up ?
snow report
@rainman, understood. Top sheet chipping is common if the skis knock together while skiing. Usually the way I have damaged mine. Some level of wear is inevitable.
snow report
I can't imagine how "a few loose stones" caused that base damage.
snow report
It almost looks like the ptex base has been melted on something.
ski holidays
The base looks horrible, and the edge even worse. If the skis had just developed those top sheet issues when left in the cupboard that would be one thing, but considering the state of the edge/ base in that last shot I'd say it's more likely that your skier was hitting rails or rocks and assuming that was consequence free.

That orange/ black top sheet shows hits pretty badly though - a black bus stop pen may reduce the cosmetic ugliness.

I wouldn't personally attempt to patch the core shot, and if you're not experienced with more straight forward repairs then it's definitely one for the professionals.
latest report
You definitely should get the bases repaired (for the sake of the core), though tbh if it was me I would just forget it and keep skiing them. Tools not jewels etc.
latest report
Thanks all. I think we will go and get the base done properly, and put the top sheet chipping down to clattering his skis together.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy