Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I'm looking to buy a helmet, having previously rented them and struggled to find one comfortable - I need an XL+ size (63/64cm), with good ventilation, which will hold a pair of Oakley snow goggles over the top.

Happy to pay for quality/safety features - any advice appreciated?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have a large head also and purchased a Saloman quest custom air helmet. Really comfy, good ventilation, lots of adjustment and a magnetic chin strap which is so easy to open and close with gloves on (but does stay on in a crash!)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd recommend you also look at Sweet Protection. I certainly don't regret paying extra for mine. Fit and quality much better than the cheaper helmets I tried. No guarantee it offers superior protection though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You gotta try 'em all on and see... Got anywhere nearby with a decent selection?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I agree with jjams82. You have to go and try them all on. There are 2 main shapes, circular and oval but each of the manufacturers has a slightly different take. I settled on the Salomon Quest Custom Air bought on sale at £79 but the Sweet Blaster MIPS was just that little bit better at double the price though which I just couldn't justify.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What jjams said - try on always.

I have a big head and I tried on every helmet in the shop and ONLY the Giro one fitted me. Everything else was too tight at the front and back.

That's not to say buy the Giro. That's to say... the sizing is only half the picture. Trying it on is the only right way.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Obvious I know but take your Google's with you as well I have forgotten before now wasting a trip.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the replies. I'm in the UK, in Shropshire - can anyone in the UK recommend stores that generally stock the best selection, so that I can go and try them on?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Radders001, get yourself up to Chester. Ellis Brigham in town and Snow & Rock at Eastham.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
make sure to check Smith Vantage, great ventilation and comfort if it's the right fit for your head.

Try them inwith your goggles to ensure everything fits right.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As others have said, you will have to try for yourself. It's not just a matter of picking the right size, shape is important too. For example POC snow helmets tend to fit my head perfectly, but their mountain bike helmets for some reason don't work at all for me. Even though the sizing is the same, the shaping is quite different.

For safety features, I would look for MIPS (most top end helmets have it now) and maybe kevlar for protection against sharp impacts. POC and Sweet Protection are my preferred brands for quality and safety, but I would also look at Smith, Salomon, Giro and others too.

The MIPS website lists all helmets that use this technology from all brands, so a good place to start narrowing your search. You pay a little more for MIPS, but I think my head is worth it!

http://mipsprotection.com/helmets/
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
another for trying them on, I really like the POC and Sweet Protection helmets, but they do not fit my head, even in XL. I've tried loads of helmets on and only a few fit me properly. Its the same with Motorcycle helmets.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Repeating the above.. you really need to try them. Shapes and sizes differ a lot across manufactures and it's not always the most expensive one that is best.

I know Giro fit me well but some others of similar spec and cost (and sometimes more) don't and would be incredibly uncomfortable to wear for any length of time. I found this out by trying on a shop full of makes (bonus is I can now just order Giro and know it will fit)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hi
does anyone know of any helmets with integrated Bluetooth? am currently looking but can only find helmets with wired audio.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Macker13 wrote:
hi
does anyone know of any helmets with integrated Bluetooth? am currently looking but can only find helmets with wired audio.
have you looked at these? https://www.surfsurfsurf.co.uk/ski-and-snowboard-equipment/outdoor-tech-chips-2-0-wireless-helmet-speakers?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-qDTBRD-ARIsAJ_10yI2uPL5VHymXP7G49KqThJtztswbqQXccVmUce5z6VNhnMFeMoldykaAhQrEALw_wcB
snow report
thanks StJ just been introduced to these. Now struggling to find the correct helmet to fit them in...presumably they need a helmet with a special liner in?
snow conditions
Macker13 wrote:
thanks StJ just been introduced to these. Now struggling to find the correct helmet to fit them in...presumably they need a helmet with a special liner in?
any helmet that has speaker ear pads, they list; Bern - Lazer - POC - Anon - Pro-Tec - Giro - Salomon - Smith Optics - Bolle, but you just need to take out the speaker that is in there and replace it with these.
latest report
Many of the decent helmets have a pocket in the earpad to accommodate the headphones. You'd need to try on with a few helmets though to make sure they don't press against the ears when all loaded up. My Salomon Quest helmet is ready to accept headphones. What about an in ear bluetooth set that goes around the neck? I can imagine those being more comfortable and then the helmet design won't be such a factor.
latest report
Sack the Juggler wrote:
Macker13 wrote:
any helmet that has speaker ear pads, they list; Bern - Lazer - POC - Anon - Pro-Tec - Giro - Salomon - Smith Optics - Bolle, but you just need to take out the speaker that is in there and replace it with these.

this one? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Boll%C3%A9-Synergy-Outdoor-Skiing-available/dp/B073TRXBL8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1516808189&sr=8-6&keywords=ski+helmet+audio+lining&tag=amz07b-21
snow report
Don't buy a helmet without trying it on first. It could be a very expensive mistake as many of the good online shops won't let you return a helmet due to Health and Safety.
ski holidays
ok good advice thanks
latest report
I also have a big head and have found it hard to find a helmet that fits comfortably. I've had Trespass, Bolle and Head helmets, all of which felt good to start with but then get uncomfortable after a while. The best I've found is the Aldi one! It fits perfectly, and doesn't push my goggles onto the bridge of my nose like some have. But, as many people have said, it's all down to individual head shape as well, so I'd say try loads, then make sure you can take the one you choose back and wear it for a few hours at home to make sure. (just remember to take it off before you answer the front door!)
snow conditions
ive often mused there should be helmet fitters
ski holidays
I have a big oval head, Bern is my lid of choice, not to everyone’s style but it’s fits and it’s comfy for me which is what counts. If you have a non standard sized / shaped head it’s a question of trying a lot and working out what brand matches.
ski holidays
Does anyone know if salomon helmets have a pocket in the ear pads or do you have to buy replacement pads, they state the helmets air audio ready but not sure what that means, thanks .
snow conditions
coops1967 wrote:
make sure to check Smith Vantage, great ventilation and comfort if it's the right fit for your head.

Try them inwith your goggles to ensure everything fits right.

My Son's Vantage took a light knock and the shell literally split in half around the seam. He and I were horrified. I'd never go near a Smith helmet again. We're all POC now throughout the family.
snow conditions
Make sure the goggles/helmet combo work.
ski holidays
@Velzy,
I have a Salomon Mountain Lab helmet - it has no pockets in the ear pads.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy