Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2021/22 Christmas & New Year drive down - live chat

Poster: A snowHead
It's Wednesday, 15 of December 2021 and the big getaway commences this Friday, so let's cautiously begin our traditional live chat.

Please, please, please! No politics, speculation or your personal opinions on testing, vaccination, lockdowns, quarantines and other topics which are sufficiently covered in over 9000 threads on this forum. Report the facts as you see and experience them first hand.

Checklist:
+ Check doofer battery
+ Passports and copies
+ NHS vaccine certificates
+ Pre departure LF test certificates (including u12 in case French regulations change before Saturday)
+ EHIC or GHIC cards
+ Pre return LF and day 2 PCR test kits for the return to UK
+ Component bags for certificates, carre neige receipts, contact information for kids, and for almost 12s to carry a copy of passport, in case proof of age is requested
+ Check tyre pressure
+ Antifreeze
+ Low temp screen wash
+ a bottle of AdBlue
+ winter kit - chains, socks, scraper, deicer, showel, etc
+ Travel Insurance and breakdown cover paperwork
+ UK Sticker (not GB!)
+ Beam convertors, if electronic adjustment isn't available
+ Crit Air, if planning to drive through certain towns
+ Spare bulbs
+ Gilets jaunes
+ Download Netflix and audible content

So far our plan is:

Wednesday - a bit of shopping (mainly medicines, snacks and drinks for the road) and start loading the car. Stuff that is not going to be needed before the departure goes first - skiing clothing and gear, winter car kit, etc. Mount the ski rack and do a dry fit. Test fit the chains and socks.

Thursday - do the pre departure LF tests (Randox) and upload the certificates to Eurotunnel account. Randox App is already installed, profiles created and ready to go. More packing and loading. Refuel the car.

Friday afternoon - finalise packing, mount skis, last minute shopping if needed. Decide who drives when, stuff everyone into the car and around 10:00 head to the tunnel for 1:20AM crossing.

First big stop in France - ayre with Burger King on a31 near Dijon. Have breakfast, relax, refuel. Decide on whether to take A6 or A39.

2nd big stop - Lunch. Somewhere, depending on what route we take.

Final big stop - Carrefour in Moutiers. Big shop for food and essentials, refuel.

Plan is to arrive to VT around 17:00, pick up the keys, unload and head out for a meal and drinks with friends.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 15-12-21 19:54; edited 11 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

So far our plain is

Hate to be that guy, but… Little Angel
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wow, Oleski, you sure have stamina.
After driving through the night (with kids) and shopping you're up for an evening out with friends.
Presumably you are able to sleep while partner drives - I can't.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So we leave on 25th. Checklist so far.

Folder for each person with copies of all paperwork.
All tests booked and delivered, randox app downloaded. In person LFT booked for 14YO on 24th, vidéo LFT booked for 25th to get us in the hotel.
In resort tests pre- booked at La Plagne pharnacy
Travel insurance sorted, Ghics ordered.
Car had a service last week
Snow chains here
14yo has created a 7 hr playlist on Amazon music - could be painful.

Still need to update car and breakdown cover.

Pick up hired roof box on 19th.
23rd December
Go to hairdresser
Shopping for food for journey
Load roof box with skis etc.
Fuel car
Plan route as first time drivers to mountains. Plenty of summer driving through Europe.
Work out how snowchains work
Do C19 LFT tests
Upload all documents to eurotunnel, print copies and put in folder for each person

24th - see family for christmas
14yo pre departure test

25th - 9am video LFT.
9.30 leave home
11. 20 tunnel departure

Stops to be planned

6.30ish arrive in Mâcon, North of Lyon.

26th. Leave Mâcon for 3 hour journey to La Plagne.
LFT for 14YO booked 14.30 and can get into hotel at 16.00. So time to get there have a late lunch.

Will be checking the driving threads to make sure I haven't missed anything
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This is an awesome thread. We are due to arrive in La Plagne on 2 January so all a bit more complicated with it being public holiday time / weekend but love this thread. Never thought of the 1.30am tunnel option and a drive through the night. We always just get a 6am tunnel and just drive all day and keep stops short. This time, we have a hotel in Chambery on the 1st so hopefully a drive down to there and then a short 90 minutes or so in the morning and a cheeky ski in the afternoon. Can’t wait.

You have reminded me though that I need to get new snow socks for the car!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Oleski, Not sure that winter car kit should be in first - shirley it should be easy to get to?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My usual problem was converting the beams on my ford focus which wont use the standard beam converters so large quantities of very sticky tape used to stop the light throw in the wrong direction. Somewhere I made myself a set of templates for the areas that needed blacking out. But for various reasons I have not driven on the continent for 4 or so years.

I bought, but from various comments, they are (not) required the breathalyser kits and, of course, you need the spare bulb set (would anyone check if they really were for your car?)and reflective jackets etc

The other A1 priority is making sure, if you are of an age, you have a set of reading glasses in the car - I remember once trying to find a hotel in Calais in the middle of the night with a map I could not read.

Which comes on to satnavs - fine if you set the right destination. I always like to have a piece of paper with principal waypoints on it to validate
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I love an actual map book, nothing more satisfying than getting to the edge of a page and moving to the next one Eh oh!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Order late tomorrow any LFT/PCR tests we need for journey in both directions for the 5 of us, daren't leave it any later than that.
Finish work at 7.30pm next Thursday, dash home, throw everything in the back of the car, inc three kids, 18, 16, 13.
Head to the tunnel for our 23.20 crossing
Drive to Reims for a few hours sleep in a cheap hotel (not yet booked)
Brekkie somewhere then continue on to Chatel, need to be there by 17.00 at the latest so my youngest can have her pre booked LFT at 17.45 (booked same time everyday)
Staying one nights Xmas eve at hotel in town centre, then checking in to our main hotel for the next 7 nights Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
MorningGory wrote:
@Oleski, Not sure that winter car kit should be in first - shirley it should be easy to get to?

Sure, it will all get reshuffled at the end. I do it not to forget the chains it in the shed Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Oleski, One thing to add to your check list: fill up with -30 windscreen washer fluid. A mucky journey there and back can easily consume 5l of washer fluid and you do not want it to freeze when you are in the resort.

Interestingly we never plan who does what section of the drive though we do discuss (that is a euthenism) who does the really bad stretch to the tunnel in the UK. Who does what depends on how the driver is feeling. Usually, we will alternate every 3 hours but if the driver is tired we swap earlier.

We are heading to Les Arcs next Wednesday, setting off for an 8:30 crossing and intending to get there before Charlotte Pizza closes at 22:00.

Thanks for the reminder to start downloading issues of more or less and talking books.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Jonpim, driving through the night with kids is easy. Our son always slept from the moment we left home to Albertville. Even now in his 20s and driving through the day he'll sleep most of the way. Once again, even on a day drive one's wife and one will sleep while the other drives.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jonpim wrote:
Wow, Oleski, you sure have stamina.
After driving through the night (with kids) and shopping you're up for an evening out with friends.
Presumably you are able to sleep while partner drives - I can't.

2 of us can drive, but I normally end up driving most of the way. Mrs. O will probably just do the UK stretch and may be a couple of easy motorway stretches in France when it's daylight. For me it's sufficient to have 2-3 power naps around an hour each to feel fresh.

Kids sleep through the night, which makes the drive a whole lot easier - less fighting for who uses which tablet
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnE wrote:
@Oleski, One thing to add to your check list: fill up with -30 windscreen washer fluid. A mucky journey there and back can easily consume 5l of washer fluid and you do not want it to freeze when you are in the resort.

Good point, also radiator antifreeze and AdBlue, but I always have those in the boot anyway

johnE wrote:

Interestingly we never plan who does what section of the drive though we do discuss (that is a euthenism) who does the really bad stretch to the tunnel in the UK. Who does what depends on how the driver is feeling. Usually, we will alternate every 3 hours but if the driver is tired we swap earlier.

Yeah, we discuss it and then end up winging it anyway Very Happy

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 15-12-21 10:23; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Favourite bit of kit for the car is a lithium jump starter. It's just nice to know if the kids leave a light on, or the car battery just doesn't like being at -15 C overnight, then you don't need to call roadside assistance.

Can also use it to charge phone/laptop, if need be.
snow conditions
We went through the tunnel last Saturday. Be aware that it can take significantly longer to check in. We had uploaded all the required stuff, but were still told we had to go into the terminal to have our docs re-checked before they would issue us a boarding card. When we got into the terminal there was a queue of about a dozen people, and only two desk open to do the checking. Then when we did get out ticket/hangar we got singled out for (drug/explosive?) swabbing so that added another 10-15 minutes.

We were booked on the 05:50, and I think we did make that in the end although it didn't actually leave till 06:10. No further checks on landing in France though.

If they do the same things at a busy time then there are going to be big delays.
snow conditions
We head through the tunnel Friday lunchtime with the motorhome, everything is in place but just waiting for confirmation of the dogs AHC being ready to collect.
Will be taking the LF tests later today and doing the uploading this evening.
I won't bore you with our packing list for a 2 month ski trip because it's seven pages long but is perfectly honed after 10 years of use!

No charging down the peage for us, we will cruise down the D roads making a couple of overnight stops at nice little aires we know and arrive Monday morning.

Snowing for Christmas I see.

edit. ps. When we travelled in November we were quadruple swabbed with the explosive tester Shocked thought we were in for a strip down.
The queues were longer than usual but really were due to the one in ten without the correct documents and being turned away.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 15-12-21 10:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
We are driving down to Newhaven on Friday for the 11pm ferry to Dieppe which docks around 5am.

Husband has planned his routes and stops on the way down to La Tania. I am hoping to get to resort by 2/3.
snow report
HilbertSpace wrote:
Favourite bit of kit for the car is a lithium jump starter. It's just nice to know if the kids leave a light on, or the car battery just doesn't like being at -15 C overnight, then you don't need to call roadside assistance.

Can also use it to charge phone/laptop, if need be.

Which one do you have? I've long wanted to get one, especially after someone left AC on at the camping site Very Happy

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 15-12-21 10:38; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Susang73 wrote:
I love an actual map book, nothing more satisfying than getting to the edge of a page and moving to the next one Eh oh!

+1 for an actual map
snow conditions
james75 wrote:
Susang73 wrote:

+1 for an actual map

+1
snow report
Though I love maps - my computer is full of them - for driving I use the technique carried over from my motorcycle touring days - before setting off plan the route and write down a list of key towns and villages on the way and stick to the fuel tank. Ignore road numbers they have no significance in France. Mind you for a simple drive to Les Arcs this is easily carried in the head.
latest report
johnE wrote:
Mind you for a simple drive to Les Arcs this is easily carried in the head.

Yeah, same for for VT and basically everything in Tarentaise, not a rocket science Very Happy

I still have Google Nav on in case it picks up long delays and suggests a faster root.
I also have both AA UK and AA Europe road atlases in case I get completely lost and all else fails Cool
latest report
out of interest wheres the 1st services with mountain diesel in the way to Tarentaise valley?
latest report
Oleski wrote:

Which one do you have? I've long wanted to get one, especially after someone left AC on at the camping site Very Happy

Mine is from DB Power, but I don't think they make it anymore. There are loads on Amazon, and TBH they all look good. Some double up as compressors, if you need that. Just make sure you get one powerful enough for your engine: e.g. if you have a big V8 diesel then you'll need a higher-power model.
snow report
I’m so jealous of you guys getting to drive down, we have so many backed up EasyJet flights to use we are flying & with the added hassle of Geneva I’d much rather be driving, I’d also feel far more Covid safe in my own car with my family who I know.
Add in the fact I could take the kitchen sink if I wanted & it’s a no brainier.
Decision has been made in our house, unless it’s a weekend trip, we’re driving from now on.
snow conditions
BoardieK wrote:

No charging down the peage for us, we will cruise down the D roads making a couple of overnight stops at nice little aires we know and arrive Monday morning.

Maybe for another time, but be interested to hear your D road route for time in the future when we're not in a hurry!!
snow conditions
Quote:

I’m so jealous of you guys getting to drive down, we have so many backed up EasyJet flights to use we are flying & with the added hassle of Geneva I’d much rather be driving, I’d also feel far more Covid safe in my own car with my family who I know.
Decision has been made in our house, unless it’s a weekend trip, we’re driving from now on.

We always drive. By the time you’ve added in the wait at airport, wait to get off etc etc I think flying is maybe at best a couple of hours quicker if you don’t take long stops. Plus you have the option of longer stops if you fancy it and as you say taking way more stuff than you could need!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Warnergb7 wrote:
Quote:

We always drive. By the time you’ve added in the wait at airport, wait to get off etc etc I think flying is maybe at best a couple of hours quicker if you don’t take long stops. Plus you have the option of longer stops if you fancy it and as you say taking way more stuff than you could need!

Not from Scotland, it’s a 2 day trip
snow report
Quote:

for driving I .......write down a list of key towns and villages on the way and stick to the fuel tank

Sounds bloody dangerous. What happens if you get overtaken whilst hanging upside down out of the driver's door peering desperately underneath the car?
ski holidays
@Jonny996, in normal times we like to use Newcastle Amsterdam ferry. Leave Edinburgh at midday, 2.5 hours to Newcastle, relaxing overnight on ferry, and a day (admittedly a long one) through Germany and CH to Chamonix. Too many border crossings for current situation - tomorrow we’re setting off to St Gervais but with an overnight in Calais. It’s a long way however you slice it but the overnight ferry is best way we’ve found.
latest report
Given the grief the airlines are giving changing/cancelling flights, I Googled the drive to Arraba.

Best part of 1000 miles and 17 hrs.

No thanks!!!
snow conditions
@MorningGory, I've only done it once non stop from Venice. Now I tend to overnight in Saarbrucken
snow conditions
@johnE, Looks sensible - Still 4 days travelling though.
latest report
@MorningGory, I only do it for long climbing trips to the Dolomites where I need a car to get around anyway.

@Mother hucker, I think the first place you can get winter diesel in France is Calais. Unlike Italy, where you may get problems, all the diesel sold in France is the same.
ski holidays
We’re driving overnight on Saturday, just checking all paperwork and breakdown cover & see that, since Brexit, we now need a UK car sticker not a GB one…just when I thought I had everything…
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
i think the first place you can get winter diesel in France is Calais. Unlike Italy, where you may get problems, all the diesel sold in France is the same.

OK I was always under the impression it changed in the mountains. Maybe I was wrong
snow report
Quote:

We’re driving overnight on Saturday, just checking all paperwork and breakdown cover & see that, since Brexit, we now need a UK car sticker not a GB one…just when I thought I had everything…

Thanks! ordered for delivery tomorrow as leaving on Friday. Also ordered the headlight adaptors, which I had forgotten to do!
latest report
Inboard wrote:
@Jonny996, in normal times we like to use Newcastle Amsterdam ferry. Leave Edinburgh at midday, 2.5 hours to Newcastle, relaxing overnight on ferry, and a day (admittedly a long one) through Germany and CH to Chamonix. Too many border crossings for current situation - tomorrow we’re setting off to St Gervais but with an overnight in Calais. It’s a long way however you slice it but the overnight ferry is best way we’ve found.

I used to get terrible travel sickness, even being passenger in car so I’ve always avoided ferry & gone tunnel but looking at your route I may try it for summer.
Enjoy StG, we’re hopefully getting there Boxing Day
snow report
Leaving tomorrow afternoon now, a day early, we were hanging on for the dogs health certificate but that is now ready to collect in the morning.

I couldn't bear the thought of anything changing in the last 24 hours.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy