Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So…. Do French speeding fines still come to the UK post brexit?

Poster: A snowHead
Asking for a friend obviously Embarassed
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Unfortunately I am sure it will, because I have yet to come across any benefits of Brexit on a personnel level or the wider UK. I know I am walking on thin ice here because some Brexiteer will jump in and accuse me of being a honourable and well respected fellow snowHead with their usual diatribe of taking back control.

If I am wrong that's god news for visiting Brits.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes they do Sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Moderator point taken will note in future comments.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@David B, So you don't have clue then? rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No they dont.

Interestingly I just read about it on the French newspaper "The Local".
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well, you better get a new number plate - and may be a different passport if you or you car previously have been identified and want to return for ski or ? to France - car or you might be confined and fined extra for breaking the law.

It's a bit like Carlos Ghosn wanting to return to Japan, just on a different scale. Toofy Grin

I am sure the UK would do the same to me, if I would return to the UK, previously haven broken the law.

http://titanhz.com/french-anpr-systems.aspx

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 18-12-21 17:34; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Been out twice to france this year...quite a few little flashes, no problems at all, and they cant send us tickets as they are not allowed to see our details anymore, it was only france that were issuing tickets before brexit, i was told nearly 150,000 in the year before brexit, other countries we nearly in single figures.. !!!
You can still get done though if stopped by police, but cameras are no use... at the moment !,,
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
yorkshirelad wrote:
... it was only france that were issuing tickets before brexit, i was told nearly 150,000 in the year before brexit, other countries we nearly in single figures.. !!!

Not quite true, I got a speeding ticket on a German (non autobahn) road where I hadn't noticed that the speed limit had been reduced on a particular stretch. Confused
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alastair Pink wrote:
yorkshirelad wrote:
... it was only france that were issuing tickets before brexit, i was told nearly 150,000 in the year before brexit, other countries we nearly in single figures.. !!!

Not quite true, I got a speeding ticket on a German (non autobahn) road where I hadn't noticed that the speed limit had been reduced on a particular stretch. Confused

I had one in German Autobahn roadworks when I lived in UK.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In a word...No...

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/roads/brits-will-escape-speeding-fines-eu-due-brexit/
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ok well fingers crossed then that my “friend” doesn’t get one through!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It is my understanding that France and the uk have bilateral agreement that allows fines to still be sent to uk drivers
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andmelffion wrote:
It is my understanding that France and the uk have bilateral agreement that allows fines to still be sent to uk drivers

not at the moment they dont, the proposal is being negotiated along with such issues as fishing boat licences and dealing with illegal imigrant flows, so unlikely to be resolved in the short term
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
andmelffion wrote:

not at the moment they dont, the proposal is being negotiated along with such issues as fishing boat licences and dealing with illegal imigrant flows, so unlikely to be resolved in the short term
latest report
I can confirm that they do come back to you from Spain Mad
snow conditions
ish303 wrote:
Asking for a friend obviously Embarassed

Don't know, but I'm sure you'll update us. wink
snow conditions
snowornever wrote:
andmelffion wrote:

Shouldn't be a negotiation point, childish politics.

If you break the law, man up and pay.
ski holidays
They must have an equivalent system to ANPR?

Just be aware. Next time you drive through France, they already have your number on a data base somewhere.
You might get stopped and be told to pay the fine on the spot. Sad
snow report
I agree that if you break the law then you should pay for it but without a ticket you may not know that you have broken the law....
snow report
Hurdy wrote:
I agree that if you break the law then you should pay for it but without a ticket you may not know that you have broken the law....

Sorry officer I didn't notice my cruise control adjusted it self up to 90mph Laughing
snow conditions
Bob wrote:
snowornever wrote:
andmelffion wrote:

Shouldn't be a negotiation point, childish politics.

along with Pet passports rolling eyes
latest report
('@boredsurfin, ')

Yep.
ski holidays
Quote:

Just be aware. Next time you drive through France, they already have your number on a data base somewhere.

Exactly. They may not have access to the DVLA database now but for sure they downloaded the whole lot before their access was removed! Be interesting to see if anyone with a 70/71 plate car gets pinged... Any volunteers with a brand new car to do 150kph all the way from Reims to Dijon? Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
I hadn’t heard they’d lost access to the database, I thought it was all still in place as part of the interim agreement put in place so we don’t need green cards.

It needs to be current data, as otherwise how would they know the registered keeper was still current? Imagine buying a second hand car, taking it to France, and being held accountable for speeding fines incurred before you bought it!
ski holidays
jma wrote:
Quote:

Exactly. They may not have access to the DVLA database now but for sure they downloaded the whole lot before their access was removed!

They won't have been able to do that due to GDPR. They don't need the whole database so would only have been able to access record per record.
snow report
Wow!
paranoia re databases and big brother coming to the fore here! I blame project fear, its got everyone chasing their tails

had to laugh tho at the comment "they downloaded the whole database"!!! interesting spotlight on mind set to hold have such an opinion

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 21-12-21 16:29; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Hurdy wrote:
In a word...No...

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/roads/brits-will-escape-speeding-fines-eu-due-brexit/

But I think speeding is a criminal offence in most counties, so that link makes it clear that the UK CAN still hand over relevant details.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ecureuil wrote:
Hurdy wrote:
In a word...No...

But I think speeding is a criminal offence in most counties, so that link makes it clear that the UK CAN still hand over relevant details.

That article I read as confirming that they cannot fine a Uk driver (without resorting to a civil action at great expense and effort) as was the case pre signing the convention and as always been the case pre convention anyway But was only for the more serious offences.. otherwise all those speeding tickets would have been hitting the doormat!

UK govt saying in effect "dont speed" (even though no ticket now) is all they can say, really

differences in law between uk and EU states where Uk can "force" the vehicle registered keeper RK to reveal driver details for a speed camera offence recorded, whilst in EU (broadly) the ticket goes to the vehicle RK. so for an offence in EU, RK cannot be foced to reveal driver and so no points/or fine as they cannot identify the "guilty party"

dont speed is good advice, but dont be a worrybag about straying over a limit Laughing
snow report
ecureuil wrote:
Hurdy wrote:
In a word...No...

That article I read as confirming that they cannot fine a Uk driver (without resorting to a civil action at great expense and effort) as was the case pre signing the convention and as always been the case pre convention anyway But was only for the more serious offences.. otherwise all those speeding tickets would have been hitting the doormat!

UK govt saying in effect "dont speed" (even though no ticket now) is all they can say, really

differences in law between uk and EU states where Uk can "force" the vehicle registered keeper RK to reveal driver details for a speed camera offence recorded, whilst in EU (broadly) the ticket goes to the vehicle RK. so for an offence in EU, RK cannot be foced to reveal driver and so no points/or fine as they cannot identify the "guilty party"

dont speed is good advice, but dont be a worrybag about straying over a limit Laughing
snow report
Wow!
paranoia re databases and big brother coming to the fore here! I blame project fear, its got everyone chasing the tails

had to laugh tho at the comment "they downloaded the whole database"!!! interesting spotlight on mind set to hold have such an opinion
snow report
@MorningGory, I knew Brexiteer would pop up. rolling eyes
ski holidays
@David B, Not at all. You brought Brexit into it, and offered no insight to what the answer was.
snow conditions
I suppose the real question should not be "Will a French speeding ticket come to me in the UK", but rather "What would happen if I didn't pay it?"
snow report
Living in Jersey, and having driven through France and Spain for last 10 years at least bi-anually I never received a fine despite the odd flash (of speed camera). I think if you're speeding by a ridiculous or dangerous amount then you should get done irrespective, but if you are less than say 20% (as random example) then I don't think it is going to be worthwhile the time and expense for them to try and obtain your details. I don't actually know what the official line is, but experience would say the data is not readily available (although I do live in one of the worlds biggest secretive tax havens according to the French). And, don't mention the fishing licences . . . Twisted Evil
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy