Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

17 year old skis, would ya?

Poster: A snowHead
It's come to my attention that my beloved Scott Missions are now 17 years old. They are a bit floppy and tired, but hey, reverse rocker is a thing now apparently...

They feel fine to me, and I still enjoy skiing with them.

I'm not sure if the bindings still release, I honestly can't remember the last time I fell over skiing. Laughing

Would you still ski on them?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
17 years older (you, not the skis) maybe I'd dial the DINs down a wee bit and ask a ski tech to check out the bindings. And carry on.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w wrote:
17 years older (you, not the skis) maybe I'd dial the DINs down a wee bit and ask a ski tech to check out the bindings. And carry on.

+1
Nothing wrong with 17 yr old skis, especially if you're still enjoying them and they aren't delaminating or otherwise failing physically, but do as @pamw suggests and get a tech to check out the bindings.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would, but....maybe ski on some newer ones, so you can see whether 17yrs has taken it's toll on the rebound. You don't notice how a ski ages. I've just retired a pair of Mantras that didn't have any camber left....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:

Good point, and I'm not skiing anything with the exposure or technicality that I was skiing years ago either. Reds and blacks maximum for me these days.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all.

Not interested in updating my skis, when this pair goes, it'll be rentals for me from now on, I just don't ski enough these days to justify the outlay and faff of transporting them.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No one here should tell you to reduce the release values on your bindings, because they don't know where they are currently set, and what relationship that has to where they ought to be. Try to have them checked but be prepared to be told they're too old because that's what their lawyers tell them to say, and not without some reason.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You can crudely test your bindings by swinging a heel at a boot in binding and see how it kicks out. It's what I always do when I've dicked with fwd pressure etc.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

No one here should tell you to reduce the release values on your bindings

Agreed. Nobody should tell you not to change them, either. So good thing nobody did. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Kramer, which bindings? That’s a crucial thing - if they are out of warranty you could be in for a binding failure while skiing. That’s bad. A Very Bad Thing.

I have some ancient Salomons with bindings still in warranty - they are still skied in the family.
I have some ancient Salomons with bindings which are out of warranty - they are not skied and the bindings are going in the bin.
I have some ancient park skis with Elan bindings, still in warranty, checked with Jon Coster. They will be skied.

We have plenty of this season’s skis. New skis are good. But so are well build old skis. But if the bindings are out of warranty - eg because of aging effects in the plastics, or a known wear-related defect - then they should NOT be skied. I replaced Scott and Salomon bindings on two pairs of lovely twintips which we use - Mai Tais and Volkl Pearls - both incredibly well-built sidewall wood core skis - one had S910 TI and the other the Scott labelled equivalent - both now in the bin, and Wardens fitted instead.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 11-03-23 19:38; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Kramer, is spyderjon within reach?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There is a pair of 17 year old Missions in our cave, but they aren't skied on now. His Dynastar Cham 97s from 2012 have now been retired too. Probably time I replaced my own Hell's Belles, but they hold a bit of a special place somehow. If they are safe, ski them if you still enjoy them. Try something else on your next trip for a day or so, see how they feel.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am very fickle with skis- I like to try new ones. Once said- ‘You marry your boots but you only date your skis.’ That’s true for me.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Kramer, I can help. Here's what you need to do:

- phone me at 8.15 in the morning and join the forty minute queuing system
- when the phone is answered listen to the two minute message before selecting the option to speak to a real person
- when my colleague (who's not qualified at all in ski tech'ery) answers explain your problem to them
- my colleague will then decide if I'm going to grace you with a return phone call at an unspecified time during the day so make sure you're always close to your phone and answer it within three rings otherwise I'll hang up
- in the rare event that my colleague thinks you need an appointment then you'll be allocated one in four weeks time

Note that if you have more then one issue that needs my assistance then you'll have to repeat the whole process for each issue.

Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@spyderjon, haha, classic! A little bird told me that you were retiring (in the work sense, not the personality sense obvs). It shows. Toofy Grin
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
@spyderjon, haha, classic! A little bird told me that you were retiring........

Not fully, just going to be doing a bit less. Have committed to stock for next season and will re-evaluate in spring '24.
latest report
spyderjon wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
@spyderjon, haha, classic! A little bird told me that you were retiring........

Not fully, just going to be doing a bit less. Have committed to stock for next season and will re-evaluate in spring '24.

Old skiers never die - they just go gradually downhill. Skullie
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy