Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Innsbruck as a base for up to 3 months? (or anywhere at hostel prices)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm a solo carless travelling trying to find somewhere in Austria to come for a few months, possibly late december/early jan until end of feb/march/season depending on finances. I've been looking all over the place for somewhere to stay at around £30 per night (or less ideally). There's a few hostels in Innbruck that could work, and one in Pettneu, just outside St Anton. I'm also waiting to hear back from Gasthof Zillertal in Mayrhofen about long term accomodation. I will be working remotely 3 days a week during this time so will at least have some money coming in (£900-£1000k pm), but not enough to really push the budget. I've had a number of plans this winter, but due to covid, costs and everything being booked up, I'm down to these few options.

My priorities are good playful/steep terrain/powder/off piste/maybe some tree skiing if they have it, basically I love the BC Canada approach of skiing and am looking for somewhere similar in Austria. Not too interested in endless groomed runs.

I do really like the look of Innsbruck and was somewhat planning on moving there pre-brexit, but bailed on the plan due to covid (and now regret that), but also for this trip the boarding is the priority.

So I suppose my question is, how is Innsbruck as a longer term base? Or would it be better to stay in a surround village to St Anton such as Pettneu? If Gasthof Zillteral in Mayrhofen get back to me I think that would be the play, for the moment I'm assuming the worst on that front.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We've stayed in pettneu a few times as a family . Nice and cheap compared to Anton. Great ski buses. Worked fine.

Not directly relevant yo what you're planning to do, but might be worth bearing in mind.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@patch_uk, if you dont have an unlimited budget then I think Pettneu is the perfect spot for the Arlberg. Access to the skiing is as easy as from most of St Anton, certainly from those parts of town with the cheaper accommodation. There are night buses back from St Anton for a couple of Euros but Pettneu has its own bars though not the full on night life of St Anton (not that is likely to be an issue this year). The skiing, especially off piste, is the best in the eastern Alps. The problem is lots of others think so too, after a decent dump the best lines get rapidly skied out and crowds can get tedious at busy times.

The person to ask about Innsbruck is @clarky999, . He regularly posts here about various trips to the mountains in & nearby Innsbruck. He even seems to manage to squeeze a run before going to work from time to time! Most of his trips are off piste / touring. The mountains might not be as well known as the Arlberg or Zillertal but there seems to be more than enough to keep the keen locals occupied.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy