Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taking skis on national express

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone have any experience?

The t&cs state that oversized luggage has to be paid for as an extra, however there is no option to add more than an extra bag, presumably if standard dimensions.
I’ll only have the ski bag and a ruc-sac so if they ignore dimension I should be fine. Not sure how lucky they are...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've booked National express for BB this year.
Earlier this year, went to Belgium by coach, changing at Victoria. Made a point of asking staff, who told me it would be OK to take skis as normal luggage. Boot bag can either go in hold, or as hand luggage depending on how busy.
First part of journey, Nottingham/Victoria should be quiet at that time, but Gatwick might be busy.
Be interested to know if you have problems prior to 25th jan
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When I booked, couldn't see an option for oversized luggage. Puzzled
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
brianatab wrote:
When I booked, couldn't see an option for oversized luggage. Puzzled

There isn’t. That’s my point, however in the T&Cs it states the maximum dimensions of luggage.

Did you have any issues @brianatab
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.

snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tazz2bme wrote:

Did you have any issues @brianatab

Sorry, just seen you’ve not travelled yet. Confused
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In my experience it is up to the driver - some charge, some don't.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Never had a problem
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
When I got on the coach in Nottingham, there were only a dozen or so passengers, and they put their own luggage in while the driver checked tickets. I only had a small rucksack for 3 days.
I don't envisage problems at that end, but Victoria and Gatwick may be busier.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've had issues with oversize baggage on National Express before and personally wouldn't risk it again.

A few years back I booked a coach from Aberdeen to Glasgow airport at 6am to fly to Uganda. Double and triple checked with staff when booking that it would be ok to take my (surfboard-sized) kayak, and they assured me it would be fine and sent an email to that effect. Offered to buy an extra ticket, but told no need.

At 6am, with an absolutely empty coach, no bags underneath and MASSES of room, and the driver refused to take it "because aim no haivin' a pishin' boot am mai boos". Again offered to pay more, but point blank refusal. As a skint student at the time and having lived in a cupboard for 6 months to save the cash for the flight, it was... vexing, lets say.

I can understand a kayak is a weird thing to take on a coach, and if it was full it would be reasonable to refuse, but not when it was empty. The boat is smaller than a mountain bike. Just a grumpy old Aberdonian enjoying exercising his authority, but that's the point - all down to how the driver is feeling on the day.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As long as the total volume is within the dimensions, just argue it out.

As the booking process does not give you an option to book, and does not state the cost, I don't see how they can actually charge.
If any problems, record the conversation and sort it on return.

Just out of curiosity, anyone else on the 9am Gatwick coach with skis?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
On the plus side....

On the National Express there's a jolly hostess
Selling crisps and tea
She'll provide you with drinks and theatrical winks
For a sky-high fee. wink

Just remember to 'manhandle your skis with paternal pride'. Razz
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mollerski, But what if your ar.se is the size of a small country?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
WindOfChange wrote:
@Mollerski, But what if your ar.se is the size of a small country?

A healthy diet and a little more exercise. Good luck. Cool
ski holidays
T&Cs above make it clear it’s totally up to the driver.
ski holidays
Crazy situation.

Our corporate policy is..... It depends if you get an arsie driver or one with common sense
latest report
Did you have any issues with this? I’m looking to get on a coach from London Victoria to Heathrow in March with skis and a hold-all! My only concern is it will be about 0800 so I’m expecting it to be pretty busy!
snow conditions
jason123 wrote:
Did you have any issues with this? I’m looking to get on a coach from London Victoria to Heathrow in March with skis and a hold-all! My only concern is it will be about 0800 so I’m expecting it to be pretty busy!

No, not at all.
My ‘hand luggage’ was too big for NE policy, but no issue with that either, and no extra charges Smile
snow report
I suspect you're basically fine in the south east, unless you somehow end up on a rammed bus with little space (and given how frequently most of the airport NE buses run, that should be unlikely). I've done bus to and from Stansted with skis a couple of times, and never had any issues.
ski holidays
no problems either way. Nottingham to Victoria only half full, Victoria to Gatwick, only about a dozen passengers.

Got direct return Gatwick to Nottingham via Heathrow. Coach only half full.

Suspect it may only be a problem if the coach is full and short of space in the luggage hold.
snow report
I had ski bag stuffed with most of my gear, holdall for boots, both in luggage compartment. Plus small backpack as hand luggage
snow report
Taking skis on national express....

Only something to do when your life's in a mess.

http://youtube.com/v/p_GLSgJ39Dc
snow report
My interpretation of oversize baggage, is one that exceeds all dimensions, not just one. A ski bag will not take up any extra volume under the bus than a large suitcase.
latest report
ChrisWo wrote:
I suspect you're basically fine in the south east, unless you somehow end up on a rammed bus with little space (and given how frequently most of the airport NE buses run, that should be unlikely). I've done bus to and from Stansted with skis a couple of times, and never had any issues.

Chris - may I check if you were going from Stratford to Stansted? Looking to make the same journey and wondering the same thing.
snow conditions
@euanovsky, blimey that feels like a world ago (and in many ways I guess it is).

We were using the Stansted to Liverpool Street NE route I think, getting off in East London. Probably very similar to the Stratford route though...I guess Stratford might have people changing to the train, but probably not loads busier.
ski holidays
@ChrisWo, thanks!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy