Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lufthansa Baggage Allowance

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello Snowheads,

I am confused about Lufthansa's baggage allowance and skis.
I plan to book a flight within Europe from Germany to France with Economy Classic which should allow ski equipment from my understanding.
I've read here and there that you can take your suitcase 23kg and additionally the skis equipment.

Does anyone know if a ski bag (dakine fall line ski roller bag) is ok as skis equipment? Can you add there the ski pants and maybe a jacket and not take another suitcase?
I would appreciate it if anyone shared their experience with this.

Thank you
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I take a 195 cm twin roller with 2 sets skis and poles and one pair of boots (that gets to just under 23kg) regularly. It is weighed but they have never asked about contents.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You have both options - but as your skibag will be free anyway why not take both your dakine and a suitcase?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
musher wrote:
I take a 195 cm twin roller with 2 sets skis and poles and one pair of boots (that gets to just under 23kg) regularly. It is weighed but they have never asked about contents.

Thanks. I got confused on their website regarding what is considered one item of sport luggage
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mozwold wrote:
You have both options - but as your skibag will be free anyway why not take both your dakine and a suitcase?

Trying to find a good option and pack lightly. Thank you for the info
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
+1 for taking roller ski bag with extra clothes etc inside (historically we've done extra ski+boot bag on top of normal hold bag, but not sure if i'd try that again)

Make sure you phone to register the skis beforehand, they'll ask for the bag weight but didn't cross ref this at check-in (didn't even weigh them in Nov, but the plane was half empty) - find the UK number rather than the German number, otherwise you'll get overseas phone charges
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I usually fly into MUC with Lufthansa 3 times a ski season and have always had my skis in a sportube separate from my suitcase/ travel bag. You do need to register the skis on the phone. You MUST buy a classic fare as you cannot add skis to the basic one. In theory these two's combined weight should not exceed 23kg.

The only problem I have ever experienced was when a super officious at gate check in 'person' weighed my hand luggage and it was 500g over the (8kg?) limit and made me start removing items to share out with other family members when her colleague intervened as it was obviously OTT.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Snowsartre,
Quote:

In theory these two's combined weight should not exceed 23kg.

I've done BHX - MUC quite a bit too, and each item (ski bag and suitcase) can be 23kg - in fact I'm pretty sure that you can take a boot bag as well. (but in that situation ski bag+boot bag have to be under 23kg)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@mozwold, I think you may be right- looks like policy has become more generous as also includes a personal item. This seems to be clear that you can have second ski bag of 23kg and (possibly) a further bag with boots /poles from Lufthansa website:

Free Baggage
Included in Economy Class

1x Carry-on baggage
Up to 8 kg and max. 55 x 40 x 23 cm

(height x width x depth)

Detailed information

1x Personal item
Dimensions up to 40 x 30 x 10 cm

(height x width x depth)

Detailed information

1x Checked baggage
Up to 23 kg and 158 cm

(height + width + depth)

Detailed information
Additional free baggage

1x Ski or snowboard equipment
Reservation required
+381 11 430 0164
International service number
1 pair of skis or 1 snowboard, max. 2 pieces of baggage with a max. weight of 23 kg and a max. length of 200 cm per person

Detailed information
- 1 pair of skis or a snowboard counts as a piece of baggage in this case. A pair of ski poles and a pair of ski or snowboard boots count as a further piece of baggage. You may take a helmet as well.

- You can find more information on our dedicated winter sport page.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy