Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Quiet quaint resorts but with good extensive skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey all

I'm looking for a nice traditional alpine resort in the alps that is fairly quiet, not lively or apres orientated, but with a good snow record/lifts.

Any recommendations?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Val d'anniviers is a pretty good fit for that, in fact near perfect description. Grimentz, Zinal or St Luc take your pick.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Obergurgl as a starter - pretty much guaranteed snow and nightllife not a big feature. Decent accommodation throughout.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
+1 for Grimentz and Obergurgl, but it also depends on the type of skiing you want to do (off-piste or cruisy blues or somewhere in between)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The fundamental contradiction here is that "traditional" resorts are often too low in altitude to have guaranteed good snow at all times. Obergurgl is a case in point - very good snow record but high-rise/purpose built, and could only be described as "traditional" in a marketing-man's dream.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alagna would fit the bill
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Depends on what time of year you’re going. In January / February you have lots of choice. In April you're going to have difficulty finding anything snow-sure.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pam w, I would generally agree with you on this but....
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/oct/10/off-piste-powder-skiing-snowboarding-switzerland-grimentz
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes, it looks lovely!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Grimentz, most definitely a candidate for the request.

Visited a few times (all before the connection lift Grimentz to Zinal) and skied from z to g via intermediate valley. Beautiful setting, village, scenery, views etc and relatively quite skiing in more natural piste-scape domain.

Thought if you went there you were sworn to secrecy Very Happy to assist not changing the character. Joking aside, it's very well worth a visit.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
The fundamental contradiction here is that "traditional" resorts are often too low in altitude to have guaranteed good snow at all times. Obergurgl is a case in point - very good snow record but high-rise/purpose built, and could only be described as "traditional" in a marketing-man's dream.

Indeed lower resorts don't usually have guaranteed snow (well, many do with man-made) but I'm not sure I agree with the high rise, though. Having said that, it looks like you're right about purpose-built; here is the evidence.... from 1935...!

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've had a few trips to Vaujany - ideal with younger kids. Not been there since 2014, so it may have got more built up, but then it was small and had a traditional centre. It links to Alpe d'Huez ski area.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
San Martino di Castrozza, Dolomites, Italy
Madesimo, Lombardy, Italy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have to throw Andermatt into the mix. Too frequently gets overlooked.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
St Martin de Belleville, Les Contamines, Saas Fee (smaller ski area), Vaujany, Leogang, Grimentz, Klosters, St Christoph, Wald (Sonnenkopf), Stuben, St Gallenkirch. Many more too
snow report
Rogerdodger wrote:
I have to throw Andermatt into the mix. Too frequently gets overlooked.

I'd been thinking this. The old part of town is very charming and quaint. You just have to ignore the new development.
snow report
Def Obergurgl . . .also Montgenevre - high base elevation and seems to get more snow than its Italian neighbours . . .
ski holidays
Monetier is also a great base to explore Serre Che.
snow report
Monetier is a decent shout, IMO.

If there is appropriate accommodation, the old part of Briancon is also utterly charming.
latest report
Samoens, Morillon, Les Carroz. Beautiful traditional villages with fabulous interlinked skiing. Also great summer resorts Morillon on a lake.
snow report
Monêtier was my first thought as well; also La Clusaz and neighboring, smaller, Le Grand Bornand if you are looking for a shorter transfer - but the snow record is more debatable there.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy