Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing after chemo

Poster: A snowHead
My wife was diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer 6 months and has been through all her chemo, and her surgery (to remove remnants of tumour) 2 months ago. It's been a pretty sh177y 6 months as you can imagine but cancer has been removed and she's taking drugs to hopefully stop it coming back.
She's still in quite a bit of joint pain but thankfully energy levels are starting to improve.
We're off to Hinterglemm on 4th Jan for a holiday booked in advance of diagnosis. Staying in a good hotel with good facilities and there will be 13 of us in total.
She's not really expecting to ski much, if at all. Is there anything she/we should look out for, ie will the altitude make things worse etc? I just want to make the holiday as good as possible for her and any tips would be appreciated. I understand this could be a sensitive subject for some and you may not want to reply on a public forum but feel free to pm me for any experiences you think would be beneficial for her.
Thanks in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not knowing her or anything else, she should be fine, just take it easy! If she's recovering, she's recovering and skiing shouldn't change that.

Don't get cold, try not to catch anything on the journey, don't ski too hard and fall over, and don't get drunk. Do relax and enjoy the holiday.

I'm a GP in a snowy Canada, getting ill after getting too cold is definitely a thing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We had a friend join us last NY a couple of months after her mastectomy. I think she had managed to avoid chemo so she probably wasn’t as physically battered by the experience. We were in the 3V, and I don’t recall her saying she felt affected by the altitude. She skied every day with us too ( maybe one or two early finishes). Didn’t have any in depth conversations about it though.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No idea but very best wishes to your wife. If some of the 13 are friends (as opposed to annoying 7 year old nephews or unwanted in-laws) then I hope she can have a great holiday, skiing or not.
Half days, or blue runs and generous coffee stops?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@boabski, I've had three bouts of cancer over the past twelve years, my last scare was a few months ago so I can understand how worried you must have been. I know that this horrible illness takes a toll on everyone not just the sufferer, but throughout I've never let it put me off skiing. I am convinced that maintaining a reasonable level of fitness and exercise is one of the best ways of dealing with cancer, I know that isn't possible for everyone but a good holiday away from from all the usual pressures of life can only be a tonic. Personally, I've never had an issue in the mountains but I've always accepted that in the aftermath of treatment I might have to take it a little easier, I hope you have a terrific time which contributes to your wife's recovery.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lee Shaw wrote:
@boabski, I've had three bouts of cancer over the past twelve years, my last scare was a few months ago so I can understand how worried you must have been. I know that this horrible illness takes a toll on everyone not just the sufferer, but throughout I've never let it put me off skiing. I am convinced that maintaining a reasonable level of fitness and exercise is one of the best ways of dealing with cancer, I know that isn't possible for everyone but a good holiday away from from all the usual pressures of life can only be a tonic. Personally, I've never had an issue in the mountains but I've always accepted that in the aftermath of treatment I might have to take it a little easier, I hope you have a terrific time which contributes to your wife's recovery.

Completely agree. I`m undergoing chemo at the moment. The drs have organised things so that I`m not taking anything over the Xmas ski break. Will just play it by ear. If tired, stay in. if feeling full of beans, will hit the slopes. Am convinced that exercise is good but obviously, all depends on your individual circs.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks to you all for your advice and kind words. Think taking it easy and listening to her body will be the way forward, which is kinda what we were planning on. Good facilities at hotel so she'll probably use them and go walks if she has no energy for skiing.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just a thought for you - my fathers consultant gave him emergency antibiotics to take on holiday with him when he was still vulnerable - any sign of a possible infection and he could take them without delay - may not be relevant to you, but I though it was worth mentioning.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Best wishes for your holiday. Try to avoid infections which may be more likely in hotels and at altitude.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@SLB79, @davidof, good points. She's a pharmacist and so is one of my mates coming on holiday, so we should be we covered but will definitely say to her to have some with her in case. Spoke to our insurance provider today and no action required as holiday was booked prior to diagnosis
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A ski holiday should be a tonic after the treatments I do hope your wife enjoys getting back to being a person rather than a patient!!
It’s good your insurers are aware and have agreed cover remains in place mine refused to cover anything related to my cancer and it has cost a lot to get cover ever since!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We skied with a family member who had just finished chemo a couple of years ago.
It was a great trip!!!

The only thing that we noticed was that he did get tired earlier in the day than previously (not really surprising I guess). But, he would go from beginning to feel a little tired, to being exhausted quite quickly. So I would suggest, initially at least, you take it easy and perhaps stick a little closer to home after lunch so it is easy to get back if necessary.

Hope you have a great holiday!!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boabski wrote:
My wife was diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer 6 months and has been through all her chemo, and her surgery (to remove remnants of tumour) 2 months ago. It's been a pretty sh177y 6 months as you can imagine but cancer has been removed and she's taking drugs to hopefully stop it coming back.
She's still in quite a bit of joint pain but thankfully energy levels are starting to improve.
We're off to Hinterglemm on 4th Jan for a holiday booked in advance of diagnosis. Staying in a good hotel with good facilities and there will be 13 of us in total.
She's not really expecting to ski much, if at all. Is there anything she/we should look out for, ie will the altitude make things worse etc? I just want to make the holiday as good as possible for her and any tips would be appreciated. I understand this could be a sensitive subject for some and you may not want to reply on a public forum but feel free to pm me for any experiences you think would be beneficial for her.
Thanks in advance

Hey Boab - same journey, slightly different route.
My wife has just finished radiotherapy, post surgery and got the all clear last month. We are heading to whistler at the end of January and I reckon at times over the past 6 months the thoughts of going on our ski holiday have been the only thing to get her through the sh1tty days.
She’s nowhere near the fitness levels she wants to be at but there was no way she wasn’t going. My plan is to watch her closely and realise when she’s starting to flag and I’ll look to call it a day then.

Good luck for your trip. I totally understand how you’ve been feeling this year. I can’t wait to see the back of 2019!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Think it will depend entirely on how she is feeling, as chemo varies lot from person to person.

Friend a few years ago was having chemo fortnightly, and still went skiing in the intervening week. And skied almost as much as everyone else in the group! Stayed at 2000m+, but altitude no problem.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another thought, some chemo can make your skin more sensitive to sunlight so something to consider - lots of high SPF cream and usual precautions.
snow report
@Chunky Dawz, sorry to hear that and yes on a similar path - 2019 can take a run a jump.
snow conditions
Thank you so much for this encouraging information- I just found out I've had recurrence and will have surgery and chemo in the next few months- just in time.for Christmas and the start of the NorCal ski season. I didnt' have chemo last time and using my ski pass as much as humanly possible was what got me thru last year. I was panicking that our already purchased season passes would be wasted (they might still be if we dont get any snow & treatment timing). Your post gives me hope to get through it. Even if I'm only on Greens til lunch, or sitting on the sundeck while my son skied it will be worth it. Thanks again
snow conditions
@boabski, I'm pleased mrsboadski is on the mend. Mrsthecramps went through all that, a couple of years of tamoxifen and then, since the chemo brought about early menopause, she has been put on letrozole. Neither are ace if you focus on the "side effects" bit of advice sheets, but I am very happy to confirm, several years later, that mrsthecramps is still here, the cancer is not, and the only thing that's been stopping her skiing is covid. She has bone density scans because of a potential side effect of weakened bones. Our plan is to ski while she can, and then take up cross country skiing instead because we love the cold and love the snow. Good luck to you both. Feel free to pm me anytime. If I can offer advice or answer any questions, I will.

Altitude hasn't affected her at all, and she is just as sensitive to cold (v cold hands Laughing ) as before. She definitely takes a bit more care to make sure she exercises quite well with daily walks or cycle rides, if only 3 or miles. She hardly ever drinks and eats mostly unprocessed food, being extra careful to balance her diet.
snow conditions
@boabski, and don't forget, retail therapy is always nice. Is there a single snowhead who doesn't like going into fabulous ski shops and coming out with a brilliant new pair of goggles, some swanky gloves or something wink
snow conditions
My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer in Nov 2018, she had surgery in the December and she got the go ahead to fly 6 weeks later. She was feeling well so we managed 7 nights in Lech and she skied every day. In the February she started her chemo so no more skiing for the rest of the season. We booked Alpbach in the summer and did some easy walks amidst beautiful weather and scenery. On her return she started her radiotherapy which finished in the August. In September she wanted to return to her beloved Zermatt for some more mountain walking which again raised her spirit's. By then her energy levels where getting back to normal and she's always been very fit. Christmas 2019 was spent in Galtur for a week again skiing full days. January 2020 was spent in St Moritz on a Club Med trip with our friends. We aimed to have a full season and then Covid struck. We had to cancel 3 planned trips which was very frustrating after everything she had been through. I bought her a new bike and she's been regularly cycling 40 to fifty miles with me in The Bowland Forrest and the Ribble valley. She's been amazing through all this and has always had a positive approach to life. With a shock like this it puts everything into perspective and your priorities certainly change. I wish your wife well and I hope my story helps in some way and gives her some encouragement.
snow report
@OldLadySkiierNorCal, welcome to snowHeads snowHead - good luck with your season and your Plan B of sitting on the sun deck, sounds excellent Very Happy
ski holidays
@OldLadySkiierNorCal, welcome and good luck from us too. +1 on your plan B. snowHead
latest report
boabski, and all the others who have contributed to this thread - just wonderful. Quite wonderful.
I am not in the situations mentioned, but so many have told their stories, with such honesty, grace and optimism.
One of the best threads ever, if not the best. And I seem to have got some dust in my eye - both eyes . . .
Thank you. Best wishes to you all.
snow report
@Jonpim, eloquently put and I absolutely agree.
snow report
This has been lovely to read. I’ve had an op & treatment for BC this year although was lucky enough to duck the chemo bit. I went sailing in Sept/Oct which was fine & went some way to getting my head back in the right place. Nervous but really looking forward to skiing in Jan, fingers crossed given current situation.

@OldLadySkiierNorCal sending you my very best for your next go at it & don’t forget there are so many resources out there to help & support you through the next few months. Take care x
latest report
@OldLadySkiierNorCal, another welcome to the forum from me. You are not the only person hoping to get some skiing this year despite treatment for recurrent cancer. Good luck!
latest report
Thanks for all your kind words folks. It means a lot.
We went to Hinterglemm as planned in Jan 2020, and she didn't ski but had a great time doing lovely walks and we met up for mid morning coffees/glühwein and then for lunch and then for apres Toofy Grin . Clearly we never managed this year but have deferred that booking till this January. Going back to Hinterglemm and she is planning to ski, although I suspect it will be half days at best, as fitness level still not there yet but did improve with the use of an electric bike I bought her last year. I've noticed that's she walking quicker now as well which is a good sign. She has also been to our local dry slope in Glasgow a couple of times and managed ok.
snow report
@boabski, I completely missed the timelines Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@thecramps, thread resurrection or what Very Happy
ski holidays
We are currently in limbo as to whether we ski in January (it’s been booked/paid for nearly two years) as my husband has had chemo this summer/autumn, with more success than initially thought and is now down to have surgery in the new year. We haven’t yet pulled the plug as our son may go with the rest of the group, providing it can happen at all, given the current situation. We’d hoped, after the 6 months we’ve had, quite apart from the previous 12 months, that we could fit in this week in a nice hotel, with good friends and family, before he has the surgery - he wouldn’t be skiing - but looking less likely by the day. Hey Ho, disappointing but we’re in a better position than we’d dreamed possible, earlier this year. Good luck to everyone who CAN get away, do it for the rest of us snowHead
latest report
@Montan, pleased the chemo has gone well for your husband. Sorry if you won't get to ski, I know these trips can sometimes be the carrot that keeps you moving forward on low days, but it sounds like you have a pragmatic view of it. Good luck to you both in the new year.
ski holidays
@Montan, sorry to hear about that but great to hear that it's worked. If I can add anything from our experience, if he's fit enough to walk he should go and really enjoy the surroundings. My wife got a reduced lift pass that allowed 2 free uplifts each day and free bus travel. This way she was able to do the many cleared paths and meet up with us for lunches. She had a great time despite the fact she wasn't skiing and definitely felt the benefits
ski holidays
Caveat to above. Clearly if he's worried about the flight etc due to covid, I can totally understand why he might not want to go.
latest report
He’s pretty fit - the doctors love him! - as he cycled a lot, up until all this, but he’s tired after the treatment, general anxiety and lack of sleep; he’d have loved to go and enjoy the break, fresh air, views etc and would be very happy just having a coffee, reading, listening to music etc., but the spectre of covid (despite us all being fully jabbed) and that delaying surgery, is the thing. There’ll be other holidays Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy