Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot buckle tightness

Poster: A snowHead
I recently got a pair of boots fitted (at the most highly recommended boot fitter in the land).

After a trip to the fridge in MK, I had quite sever tingling/numbness in the toes on my right foot. I didn't get any of that sensation when I was at the fitters, so I'm wondering if I'm overtightening the buckles?

The bottom bindings are finger tight, and sometimes even close themselves when I flex the boot, so that's not the issue. I am tightening the buckles in the following order (5 being the strap and 1 being the bindings closest to my toes) 3, 4, 5, 2, 1.

I like 3, 4 and 5 to grip my calf quite snuggly, otherwise I find my shin will bruise. I have a feeling I am doing this a bit tighter than was done in the shops.

So I guess my question is, am I causing the numbness by overtightening the buckles? Just how snug/tight should the boots be around your calf/shin?

Want to get the collective wisdom of snowHead before I go back for an adjustment!!

EDIT: By "finger tight" for buckles 1 and 2, I mean I can waft at them with my pinkie and they will close/open.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 1-12-21 22:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Which toes are tingling, and where exactly. There are a few nerves that route through different parts of your feet: https://www.plantarfasciamn.com/nerve-entrapments/

Also make sure your heel is set properly in the boot, as that can play a big part part in where your boot pressures your foot, and may have been different from your fitting. My preferred method is pulling the liner forward and up (as if you were just starting to take it out) before putting the foot in the boot. When you push your foot (and now liner) down into the back of the shell, I find it locates it into the heel pocket like nothing else - no amount of banging the boot heel comes close (and saves you trashing your boot heel in the long term).

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 1-12-21 22:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Pejoli, my little toe, my "ring" toe and my middle toe.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The feet buckles (1, 2) shouldn't be tight - just enough to keep the snow out.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The 2 buckles over the foot should only be as tight as will stop them from opening - and no tighter.

A really well fitted ski boot may well not need to be as tight as a boot that is a little on the big side.

If possible, place the power strap directly over the inner boot ie. behind the shell. This takes up the free room that might appear between the liner and your calf when flexing.

The upper buckles should firm - but not cranked.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 1-12-21 22:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@MorningGory, they're not. I could open/close them with my little finger with almost no pressure. As I said, they may even close themselves if I locate the buckle and flex the boot.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Old Fartbag wrote:
The 2 buckles over the foot should only be as tight as will stop them from opening - and no tighter.

A really well fitted ski boot may well not need to be as tight as a boot that is a little on the big side.

If possible, place the power strap directly over the inner boot ie. behind the shell. This takes up the free room that might appear between the liner and your calf.

That might be my problem. I'll take time with the strap to make sure it doesn't grip the shell. The foot buckles are so not tight they close themselves when located if I flex the boot, so not tight at all.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Timmycb5 wrote:
@Pejoli, my little toe, my "ring" toe and my middle toe.

So that could well be pressure on your instep (top of the foot against the tongue. As I edited in above, make sure your foot is properly in the heel pocket - if it’s forward, you may be applying excess pressure there. Also make sure the tongue is located properly - pulling it ‘up’ can help seat it properly.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Timmycb5 wrote:
The foot buckles are so not tight they close themselves when located if I flex the boot, so not tight at all.

It's always worth checking - just in case.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Pejoli, I'll make sure the heel is properly located as you suggest. I always pull the tongue up. Took me years to realise you needed to do that!

@Old Fartbag, Yup. I can't get the strap behind the shell unfortunately.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
"I recently got a pair of boots fitted (at the most highly recommended boot fitter in the land)."

Maybe a phone call for advice before returning for adjustment ??

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 1-12-21 22:31; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@limegreen1, want to check I'm not being an idiot first! Luckily I only live 10 mins away from them, so I'll be popping up.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Timmycb5,

to locate the heel properly do the "heel strike" each time you tighten #3

Just stretch your leg while seated, lift it about a foot and let go
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have my boots as loose as possible for the first few runs .. sometimes i physically cant get the top clip anywhere the loosest setting and just do the strap up. Have to get the circulation going first then adjust.. worst thing is definitely overtightening , no matter how slight .. loosen off your buckles to start

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 1-12-21 22:55; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My personal order which works for me, I've no idea whether it is "correct" or not.
5 Power buckle
Tap heel on ground to set heel as far back in the boot as it will go.
4 and 3 alternately by one or two notches at a time gradually tightening to get a nice fit. 3 is probably the most "cranked" again keeping heel back.
1 and 2 absolute minimum pressure. Little finger only tight.

Plus what @Pejoli, said, toungue sitting correctly etc
ski holidays
@Timc, I was given strict instruction to do the buckles in 3, 4, 5, 2/1 order. My last boots I used to do the same as you, but these ones are so fitted, there is no way I need to do the 3/4 alternating thing.
latest report
Oleski wrote:
@Timmycb5,

to locate the heel properly do the "heel strike" each time you tighten #3

Just stretch your leg while seated, lift it about a foot and let go

@Oleski try my method - you’ll be amazed ! I rave about it to anyone in the boot room who has the misfortune to sit near me. Super-simple, but locates the foot in the back of the boot like nothing else!
snow report
3 does all the work. I often leave 2 unfastened as that's the one that can cause nerve pain.
latest report
@Timmycb5, Boots from the same place. I have to do 5 first otherwise 4 and 3 won't reach. I was told exactly the same as you. I just find it easier my way.
snow conditions
@Timmycb5, Radical thought - if you got them fitted at most recommended bootfitter in land, why not just give him a ring for advice? It's what he does.
snow conditions
RobinS wrote:
@Timmycb5, Radical thought - if you got them fitted at most recommended bootfitter in land, why not just give him a ring for advice? It's what he does.

Because...

Timmycb5 wrote:
@limegreen1, want to check I'm not being an idiot first! Luckily I only live 10 mins away from them, so I'll be popping up.
ski holidays
Just spoke to CEM. Think it's going to be largely down to my stupidly tight calf muscles (I can barely get my foot past 90 degrees to my leg Shocked ). He's given me homework of foam rolling my calves and then taking them for another spin and see if the instep pressure is reduced.
ski holidays
Timmycb5 wrote:
Just spoke to CEM. Think it's going to be largely down to my stupidly tight calf muscles (I can barely get my foot past 90 degrees to my leg Shocked ). He's given me homework of foam rolling my calves and then taking them for another spin and see if the instep pressure is reduced.

Trigger Point Roller videos on YouTube give a good guide to technique - It will be very painful to start with.

Also use a Golf Ball on the soles of the feet and work on the tight spots.

Stretches - Lots of

- Calf stretches
- Achilles stretches
- Muscles along the shin (sit on your heels)
latest report
@Old Fartbag, cheers, I'll check that out.
ski holidays
I have similar issues at the start of every season particularly if using surface lifts, I put it down to cycling causing my calves to contract over the summer. Regular stretches and a couple of days skiing sorts it out for me.
latest report
@Timmycb5, Theres a few like this around, decent advice ime -

http://youtube.com/v/yeo_8CoGqUM
snow report
Timmycb5 wrote:

Drop test and stretches from 4:29

http://youtube.com/v/vBR2e_4kJlU&t=268s

Warren Smith article: https://www.warrensmith-skiacademy.com/leg-flex-pattern-unlocking-the-ankles/
snow report
Is a drop of 15cm for someone who is 6'4 good? Embarassed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Timmycb5 wrote:
Is a drop of 15cm for someone who is 6'4 good? Embarassed

"The ideal range for safe skiing on the drop test is between 15cm and 20cm with the same flex range on the right and left ankle. Our previous findings showed the national average was 11cm, with the lowest score being 4cm. Most importantly over 95% of people showed a clear difference between left and right ankle flex."
snow report
@Old Fartbag, not too bad then
ski holidays
Timmycb5 wrote:
@Old Fartbag, not too bad then

Certainly not too bad.

You will find out how much scar tissue is in your calf muscles with a roller. TK Max generally have Foam Rollers for under a tenner, like this: https://www.tkmaxx.com/uk/en/women/activewear/sports+fitness-accessories/black-yoga-foam-roller-14x33cm/p/02119023
ski holidays
Ordered one off amazon straight after getting off the phone to CEM!
snow conditions
Timmycb5 wrote:
Ordered one off amazon straight after getting off the phone to CEM!

They are great for releasing tightness - especially in legs and hips. The IT Band, down the outside of the leg, can get especially tight.
snow report
"I know they seem a little uncomfortable right now. But eventually your bones will change shape."
- Mrs E. Krabappal, Simpsons S5E20
latest report
Timmycb5 wrote:

This is the video I was thinking of:

http://youtube.com/v/aAnF6q88mU4&t=2s
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:

If possible, place the power strap directly over the inner boot ie. behind the shell. This takes up the free room that might appear between the liner and your calf when flexing.

That’s the advice I always received from ski clinic experts, when on day one they adjusted boot flex etc.

The buckle over the instep should never be closed tight, so’s not to restrict blood circulation.
snow report
Rollered my calves for the first time yesterday.

Is it supposed to be painful afterwards? Currently feels similar to the aftermath if I get a cramp whilst swimming and can’t stretch it out
latest report
Timmycb5 wrote:
Rollered my calves for the first time yesterday.

Is it supposed to be painful afterwards? Currently feels similar to the aftermath if I get a cramp whilst swimming and can’t stretch it out

Go easy to start with - and monitor. It's probably normal.

When I started, I couldn't take the pressure of one leg over the other.

It'll probably take 3 weeks of rolling every other day, to see a difference. It should gradually become less painful....remember, you have years of built up scar tissue there, especially if you have always been active.
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, cheers.

Yeah, have always been. I think there is definitely something going on precisely where I’ve had cramps swimming.

I’ll keep rolling and doing stretches to try and sort it out
snow report
Timmycb5 wrote:
@Old Fartbag, cheers.

Yeah, have always been. I think there is definitely something going on precisely where I’ve had cramps swimming.

I’ll keep rolling and doing stretches to try and sort it out

Report in with progress.

If properly "loose", there should be no pain. I would say, the most painful areas, will be where you get cramp, as they are the tightest. As in the video above, hold the painful areas on top of the roller. If it hurts, it's tight. The more it hurts, the tighter it is.

For general relief, check out this chap - useful techniques and stretches: https://www.diyjointpainrelief.com/

Calf stretches: https://www.diyjointpainrelief.com/best-calf-stretches.html
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy