Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

CrystalSki - cancelling single person in hotel room?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We have 6 people booked into 3 hotel rooms to go away in February - one person has expressed doubts about their ability to go away and wants to know what the penalty would be if they cancelled.

Now I've checked the T&Cs which just say you lose your deposit if you cancel far enough out from the holiday. But my question is, that person is 1 of 2 in a hotel room - presumably the hotel will be charging the same, but the T&Cs just say they lose their deposit if they book, nothing about increasing payments for other members of the holiday to make up the difference.

I would give them a ring but I haven't been able to get through on my lunch break! Shall be trying again later if I get the time. But if anybody has any experience of having done this I would be eternally grateful for feedback on how it went! Thanks in advance.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't help with the question but I'd leave it until next week. They'll be snowed under wink this week dealing with the Covid issues.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have you all booked individually or as a group. I suspect the terms are from the point of view of a booking which I suspect in your scenario will be 1 booking with you as the middle permission, in that scenario if you can't fill that space you probably as a group will still have to cover it or someone else not go so that you don't have an empty room.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Happened to us many years ago. 4 people booked into 2 twin rooms at Wengen with Crystal, and at the last minute one person couldn't go due to work commitments. The 3 remining people turned up at the airport, checked in, flew, had our holiday, and returned home. We didn't pre-warn Crystal. The airport staff just treated the missing person as a no-show.

However, a few weeks after our return we got a revised invoice which had a few quid more to pay. They had recalculated our invoice as one twin room, and one twin room with an under-occupancy supplement.

The no-show person still paid their portion of the total invoice (one quarter), and the few quid extra. If they had a 'real' reason for not travelling then they could have claimed off their insurance, but AIUI not going because of work commitments wasn't covered, so they just had to swallow the loss.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Judwin,

So you paid for two people to stay in a twin room but only one of them travelled, only one used the room and only one ate in the restaurant. And they charged you EXTRA??
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Red Leon wrote:
@Judwin,

So you paid for two people to stay in a twin room but only one of them travelled, only one used the room and only one ate in the restaurant. And they charged you EXTRA??

Yup.

From memory is was about £20 extra on a £2K (total for all 4 people) holiday, so the extra cost was insignificant in the overall scheme of things. We did get the brochure out and check Crystal's sums wrt under-occupancy charges, and they were basically correct. Didn't cost me or the other two travellers any extra - I just threw all the receipts at the no-show person and told them if they wanted to try and get their money back crack on with it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Red Leon, and only one of the ate in the bar and bought a ski pass with a mark up.

I was once told this when trying to book a hotel as a single person in the UK. They said the price for the room is £100 for two people and £120 for one person (or something like that). They explained that they can sell the room many times over but a single person has less than half the bar and restaurant spend of two people. They said even the 20 quid markup doesn’t cover what they lose in the bar restaurant! They weren’t unpleasant about it and I could see their point but I didn’t book!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Judwin wrote:
Happened to us many years ago. 4 people booked into 2 twin rooms at Wengen with Crystal, and at the last minute one person couldn't go due to work commitments. The 3 remining people turned up at the airport, checked in, flew, had our holiday, and returned home. We didn't pre-warn Crystal. The airport staff just treated the missing person as a no-show.

However, a few weeks after our return we got a revised invoice which had a few quid more to pay. They had recalculated our invoice as one twin room, and one twin room with an under-occupancy supplement.

The no-show person still paid their portion of the total invoice (one quarter), and the few quid extra. If they had a 'real' reason for not travelling then they could have claimed off their insurance, but AIUI not going because of work commitments wasn't covered, so they just had to swallow the loss.

Interesting. I wonder whether it would be different if we cancelled far in advance though - we have 3 hotel rooms booked, flights and accomodation at about £1000 each. If one of us cancels, then they will still need to provide us with 3 hotel rooms, though the transfer and flights presumably can be cancelled.

I think I need to speak to somebody there, or perhaps tell the drop-out that they will have to pay for their share of the room...haven't even collected anything off them yet!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pastorius wrote:
Interesting. I wonder whether it would be different if we cancelled far in advance though - we have 3 hotel rooms booked, flights and accomodation at about £1000 each. If one of us cancels, then they will still need to provide us with 3 hotel rooms, though the transfer and flights presumably can be cancelled.

I think I need to speak to somebody there, or perhaps tell the drop-out that they will have to pay for their share of the room...haven't even collected anything off them yet!

If everyone is on the same invoice, and one person fails to turn up at the airport then I doubt they'll refund anything because they wouldn't be able to re-sell the seat on the flight or the transfer. If you tell them they might - or they might not. I defo wouldn't assume that if you've paid 6x£1000 for 3 twin rooms that it'll come down to 5x£1000 for 2 twins plus one twin half occupancy - it'll probably be 5x£1000 + 1xunder-occupancy and the under-occupancy will probably be close to £1000.

You need to check what the charges are if one room is under-occupancy. You might be able to make a dummy booking on the Crystal website if the same holiday is still for sale. Assuming the remaining 5 still want to go you need to work out if its cheaper to cancel and re-book, or just go with one no-show.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh it's massively more expensive to book again - we booked in the depth of lockdown and the price has since gone up by about £350pp.

It is essentially what you said, £1000x6 for 3 twin rooms and one person wants to drop out. I assumed it would be perhaps £4-500 underoccupancy? As some of the cost is flights and transfers which I thought they would be able to resell.

We definitely won't do a no-show on the day as you have zero possibility of a refund! Currently on hold with crystal waiting for some figures....may be that the drop-out ends up not dropping out if they're on the hook for half of it anyway
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy