Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best knee brace post ACL injury

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

My partner had a pretty nasty fall back in 2016 which resulted in ACL surgery (thankfully was a tear and not a full reconstruction). She has since been very reluctant to get back on the skis due to the physio last time.

Now, she's back in the mindset to hop on the skis, but wants to get a good quality knee brace for support incase the same thing happens...

First question is: Is it practical to ski with a knee brace on?

Second question is: What is the best one on the market today? She's only 5ft 1" so would need an XS Adult

thanks all!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Donjoy

https://www.healthandcare.co.uk/ski-supports-braces/donjoy-armor-professional-knee-brace-with-fourcepoint.html
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ive lost the ACL and ski in the brace without any issue.

I guess the best ones are custom made, but I ski in donjoy (same as in the link above) and I think they are pretty good.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've used the same Donjoy as the one in the link since 2014 when I ruptured my ACL and MCL. No issues and feels very secure - can't imagine ever skiing without it now.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Donjoy or other ortho standard properly fitted work fine but the best answer is no brace. Better have the quads etc protect the reconned knee.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@JTizzle, not quite sure what you mean by this: “She has since been very reluctant to get back on the skis due to the physio last time.”

If the physio put her off skiing then I’d strongly recommend going to a sports physio (ideally one who understands skiing but if that’s not possible then any sports physio will be great) who can give a suitable strength/ balance programme.

I don’t have an ACL in one knee and went for physio rehab route not the operation. While a brace can be good support (mental or physical) I wouldn’t rely on it alone - lots of leg and core strength building in advance will be needed to (and will make skiing much more enjoyable too!)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Inboard, +1

I damaged my ACL repair (about 8yrs post the repair), and then subsequently did further damage to my knee as it was missed that I done so (they felt something so thought I was intact…. But have lost half of it). Once the consultant got me walking and weight bearing again he was not exactly encouraging about me returning to hockey and skiing. The physio was much more positive and encouraging, I did make the call to not go back to hockey (hard to be sensible in the competitive environment on a pitch) but have been skiing.

The physio said it was all about the muscle work and keeping those strong. She recommended a simple hinge knee brace - Mueller HG80 if my memory serves.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PS, I should say - I snapped my ACL while skiing, so can understand anxiety about returning to it.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@JTizzle, as usual, now you have much advice to consider snowHead

As you have mentioned it was a "tear" and not full reconstruction, I have done both ACL's one full reconstruction, and one "tear", or perceived rupture.

The other factor is how long since the injury/operation and how strong before was your partner, was she a runner/cyclist?
And since the injury has she been active and concentrating on rehab etc

My daughter has done hers and had reconstruction surgery, although young and active, she was not a sportive like her old man, so for her, the brace is a massive confidence booster, as she does not have rock-solid quads that she can rely on to help stabilise the knee.

Even walking out in the country on a slippery footpath going downhill she was scared of her knee, likewise even running down the stairs.

So if your partner falls into that category then go with the brace, I skied after only 6 months post-op, and that's why I used one, but my pre & post op rehab protocol was quite intense. The following season I skied without it.

There's a good second-hand market for them on FleaBay so buy one and see how they get on.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I fell and tore my acl and meniscus when skiing in 2010. Had an op to clean it out but it’s very stretched and weak. I run a lot now (marathons etc) so have the muscle strength but I still
Wear a knee brace skiing. It may be psychological but I feel it protects from rotation and I certainly don’t notice it when skiing. Used it for at least 5 or 6 holidays now.
I think it is a mueller HG80 https://www.physioparts.co.uk/mueller-hg80-hinged-knee-brace-med?gclid=Cj0KCQjw-4SLBhCVARIsACrhWLU4zQU2K8TxfmuDx-ozCmZ4WIx1scQsybE6i6IpVuV6djQHqwxHMzcaAtGUEALw_wcB

Tbh we now stuck mainly to runs within our capabilities rather than ones that we could have falls on, but that is age/experience telling us to enjoy ourselves rather than risk injury
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Controversially ...... I had a very expensive Donjoy brace pre ACL op which was absolute job saver for me.
Post op, it was positively damaging for either skiing or anything really.
Maybe because of a particularly tight and excellent reconstruction, but I could never get the articulation point of the brace to perfectly match my knee. This would cause my knee joint to sheer slightly when articulated. Obviously this was not an issue when I had no ACL. This movement was uncomfortable and I was worried I was stretching the graft.
I always, pre and post op, wear neoprene braces which definitely help. I really don't think they give much support but they definitely keep my knees warmer which seems to help. My knees are more sore if I don't wear them.
BTW Now I can virtually never notice which knee had the ACL reconstruction 10 years later ....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have posted my story before but quick recap...
Have had 8 incidents which have damaged L knee including ACL rupture and reconstruction, tibial plateau fracture and meniscus tears with arthroscopy to clean up. ACL sugery was 17 years ago. I already had a CTi brace as I had done damage to other ligaments. I always wear it for skiing as I like to ski bumps (see name mogulski). Once I tried without it but the knee is only stable for gentle blue runs which isn't enough! I also wear it for Scottish country dancing and a neoprene for hillwalking and swimming. My surgeon said I should not be running at all as not enough cartilage left for the impact of running. I also cycle which is good for knees. Oh and I am now in my 70s and intend to continue skiing for ever! I don't wear any support for day to day walking but always something for sports depending on activity level and I don't notice any of the things I use. Good luck.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks all for the feedback. After a bit of thought I think we will go for the Donjoy. They're expensive but I suppose you get what you pay for.

Anyone lend us a fiver? (Or lend us a donjoy, left knee, size S, knee brace) NehNeh

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 18-10-21 13:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JTizzle, try ebay
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
+1 for the Donjoy, got me straight back in
snow report
Ski Mojo work for me - a bit more than a brace but an amazing product and British!

https://www.skimojo.com/
latest report
Hi folks, we initially bought the donjoy but feel just wasnt right. We returned that and went for the Ski Mojo as recommended here and on a few other threads on Snowheads.

Although the set-up process was lengthy it really does seem to be an excellent product. My partners first foray back into skiing after 5 years was initially one of hesitation, however after 4-5 runs at Hemel the beaming smile that skiing brings had returned.

Thanks again for all your feedback and see you on the slopes!
latest report
@JTizzle, excellent - I trialled a Mojo post broken fib and while it is not marketed as a brace the neoprene structure provides a significant amount of support and "confidence" even without the rods and springs.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy