Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil half season pass

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I’m going skiing in Morzine in January for one month. I noticed on the PdS web site there is such a thing as a half season pass. It’s €565 and is just perfect for my month away. You can’t buy it online however. The only details I found were on a different web site which said

“A "half season" pass is also available from 6 February at the ski lift ticket windows.”

It seems really odd to me that you can only get the pass for the second half of the season. This would mean that I would have to get the full season pass which is currently €895 with early booking discount.

Does anyone have any experience of the half season pass ? Am I misunderstanding something ? Did I make the whole thing up in my head?

I’m resigned to buying the season pass, but I’d love to be told that I don’t need to.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's the same in most places. If you rock up halfway through the season, you can get a cheaper season pass. Same in summer too.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@SlowAndSteady, it's a shame you're looking now. In May most years the PDS often run a deal where you get a full season pass for around €500. Worth noting in case you do any more future trips like this one.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep, I think this year's PdS season pass deal ended on either July or August 31st.

Remember that the idea behind season passes is to make skiing affordable for people who work/a bit of compensation for disruption for people who live in or around a ski resort, not really for people who are just able to ski 3 or more weeks (which is usually about the week/season pass price cross-over point).
Then also remember how many seasonal workers fail to see out the season, be that due to injury/money/liver failure/just not being able to hack it/etc, and so need to be replaced mid season. If you were heading out in Feb to fill the gaps being asked to pay €1,000 for a season pass would be...a little unfriendly, and that's where the second half season pass is aimed.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The €500 pass became €600 for this coming winter (apart from for those who rolled-over last season's wink ). It has a few more restrictions than the full-fat versions. But yes, no first-half-of-season pass exists. Some people seem to have been able to sell part-used season passes, apparently one name-change is permitted, except when it's not... you pays your money and takes your chances Toofy Grin.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Was the flash sale €599 this year then @shep,? We rolled over so didn’t spot that. It’s still an uber-bargain even at €600.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Was the flash sale €599 this year then @shep,? We rolled over so didn’t spot that. It’s still an uber-bargain even at €600.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@andy from embsay, Yes and yes! snowHead . Not such an uber-bargain if you want the free kid's season pass, for that you need a full-fat adult pass. Also there's been some back-and-forth as to whether the €600 pass gets you the free (or was it discounted?) summer pass, I lost track of the outcome of that.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
shep wrote:
@andy from embsay, Yes and yes! snowHead . Not such an uber-bargain if you want the free kid's season pass, for that you need a full-fat adult pass. Also there's been some back-and-forth as to whether the €600 pass gets you the free (or was it discounted?) summer pass, I lost track of the outcome of that.

I haven’t seen anything about summer passes - we got an email with the Verbier QR codes but don’t remember anything re summer.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Does anyone know if there is a second half season pass deal for Chamonix? I am going for 6 weeks late Feb and was about to buy the early bird season pass for 850 but am now wondering whether to wait.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Grand Massif full season is half price for another few days: E500 instead of E1050. Worth a look.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Katie77, I've not heard of one in 15 seasons, mind you I've never been looking ....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I know it's a bit faffy, but you might be able to get enough black Friday passes (3 weeks in Jan for 480), mid week flash passes, weekend pass offers, buy club discounts to see you thru for under 700.
Also do you need full PdS every day? Its nice to have, but if your'e going to Pleney / Nyon Chamoisiere one day, just get the local pass with and applicable discounts.
Similarly for Avoriaz you can do this.
Also if you find one day you have Mutzig head, then you might not want to buy a pass that day, or if the weather is just horrible: blizzard, high winds, zero viz, minus 20 etc.. ( as can be the case in January) you might also want to jib out that day.
I think it's all pretty marginal as to whether you'll come in for under 895 for the month.
The second half pass has been a thing for a while, but I can never remember there being a 1st half one.
The fact that the full pass was available to some for 500, and others for 600 is of little comfort to you.
It's an expensive bullet to bite - 895 EUR for a month, but that still works out at 30 Eur a day instead of 59, so it's still half price.
The other benefits are that you know you can go anywhere without worrying if your pass is valid, and that if you feel like a change of scenery you can go over to Verbier for a day or 3 without needing to buy additional 4V pass.
Our nephew is in a similar position, as he will hopefully be coming to stay with us for a few weeks but a from the start of Feb, so misses Black Friday offer and is too early for the half season jobby. He will probably ski 22-25 days during that period, so it's also right on the margin for a season pass. He missed the Boarder Pass (365 EUR) so will probably just pony up for the PdS pass.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy