Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt on a budget (yes I know its an oxymoron).

Poster: A snowHead
We are visiting Zermatt for the first time in January. I understand its not inexpensive, but I would appreciate any advice on managing costs. Specifically, what people do for lunch on the mountain, and where. Please keep in the mind that we are philistines from the US, and our usual routine here is to grab a bowl of soup, or stick a sandwich in a pocket, to be supplemented with beer or hot chocolate. I know we will be foregoing some great meals, but I’d prefer to spend the time skiing and I’ll save our food (and wine) dollars (francs?) for dinner. And, re dinner, suggestions about where one might get prepared foods or take-out (for the non-restaurant evenings) would be appreciated. I assume the grocery stores would have this, but we are in an apartment on Luchernstrasse, so a bit of a schlep from them.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Haha! I go to Zermatt for the lunches! Can't help on your question at all really but I do suggest you try and take in at least 2 lunches at decent restaurants, you won't regret it! (Unless you really are a philistine and don't actually like good food..?). There are absolutely some self service restaurants where you can just get a bowl a goulash soup but nothing is cheap there.

Buffet Bar at the top of the Sunnega lift comes to mind.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Train station has cheap food. In reality Zermatt is not as expensive as some French resorts, and its way cheaper than the 3V where ripping off skiers is down to a fine art.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A kebab in town, or eat in Italy its way cheaper. The buffet restaurant at Sunnega has phenomenal views and you can get a main course and beer for €20-€25 from memory.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There’s a big co-op in the middle of town where you can buy all sorts of prepared foods to heat and eat at home (they also sell very nice chocolate). The Brown Cow pub does relatively cheap burgers etc. Menu: https://www.hotelpost.ch/UserFiles/downloads/fabc66dcfbbf861214a98d4a07fa450d/brown-cow-karte-sommer-20-ab-26.08.pdf
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Personal opinion is that lunches on the mountain tend to be far better value than dinners in the valley. In Zermatt if you ski from first to last lift your skiing day is a fair bit longer than it is in the USA in my admittedly limited experience of skiing in the USA . I would tend to eat a lunch on the mountain and skimp on the evening meal in Zermatt.

Quite a few years since I last went to Zermatt and last time was self catering but from what I recall the Walliserstube is one of the better value places to eat of an evening.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are two excellent supermarkets in the village, Co-op and Migros. They are ten minutes or so from your apartment and a stroll in Zermatt in the evening is always a pleasure. Nearer to your apartment, on the corner by the kirchbrücke, is a small grocery store (PAM if I remember correctly) which sells all the essentials and nearby is an excellent bakery, Fuchs, which sells snacks as well as bread, cakes and pastries. As well as the Sunnegga lift station restaurant, the lift stations at Trockener Steg and Riffelberg, offer basic lunches such as gulaschsuppe for relatively modest prices. The lunches on the mountain are a pleasure whether on the Swiss or the Italian side but your wallet will definitely prefer the Italian side. There are lots of restaurants in Zermatt that will serve a decent evening meal without breaking the bank (there is an McDonald’s but it would be a shame not to try some of the Swiss/Italian food on offer in town) and plenty that will be a real treat but with prices to match. Most of the grand hotels have restaurants open to non-residents. It will be fine - you can spend big or manage more modestly and, whatever you choose, I think you’ll find the value for money and quality better than in many Alpine resorts. Have a great trip.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Grizzly's near the train station is good for burgers and beer in the evening.

Grab the makings for sandwiches from the supermarket the evening before and lunch is good to go.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Make sure you go for lunch on the mountain at Chalet Etoile on the Cervinia side. Good quality food from the supermarkets, Coop and Migros should keep your other food costs reasonable.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I second the tip to have lunch in Italy on some days. For example, right on the border (so not time-consuming), I found to Rifugio Guide del Cervino to have great value, tasty, hearty fare. A ~20€ plate of polenta alla valdostana with sausage will not leave much room for dinner later Happy.
Picnics are an option of course, but January can be cold.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As others have said there is the CoOp and Migros. There is a kebab shop up by the church called Snackhouse 2020. Also there’s the pizza place by the train station but I’ve not been in there.
There’s also this chicken place near the church called Mad Hilda’s or something I forget the name now. That’s not badly priced. CHF12 for roast chicken and chips as I recall. It’s pretty yummy too.
Brown Cow has nice burgers yes, I think a burger and chips is about CHF 23-25 though which is still expensive (by UK standards anyway). It is a nice down to earth pub though.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 18-11-21 21:31; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Big plate of Polenta on the Italian side should set you right and maybe just have a sandwich later on before bed Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I tend to agree with the suggestion that inverting your usual approach, and fitting in at least one or two lunches on the mountain in one of the fantastic mountain restaurants, is part of the unique Zermatt experience - but in the village there is usually a stand grilling fantastic bratwurst half way up the Bahnhofstrasse, there is Stephanie’s crepe shop just up from the Mont Cervin hotel on the right, Grizzly’s as mentioned, and, our own personal favourite, Sparky’s opposite the Firefly hotel (literally a couple of minutes from you apartment). Sparky is a great guy, and does fantastic curry, nachos, wings etc and some great local beer (try the Hubertus)
If you are persuaded to try on mountain dining, the choice is fantastic, not cheap, but definitely memorable!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
If you are persuaded to try on mountain dining, the choice is fantastic, not cheap, but definitely memorable!!
Quite a few amazing locations to pick from. We love the views and location of the terrace at Kulmhotel Gornergrat (at top of Gornergrat Railway).

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It really is a resort well worth going to at least once
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Quite a few amazing locations to pick from. We love the views and location of the terrace at Kulmhotel Gornergrat (at top of Gornergrat Railway).

Great pics Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quote:
Great pics
Bottom one is mine...Top one isn't wink
snow report
I haven’t been to Zermatt for some years now but I do miss it. The mountain restaurants always made it for me.
ski holidays
You are all certainly convincing me to indulge in the mountain restos. And if I start now, I can probably arrange the second mortgage by January.
ski holidays
We skied there with our 3 kids years ago. They were all under 10 at that time. Each morning, I’d hand them about CHF 20 and send them to the local store to buy lunch. The challenge was to navigate shopping in a store that was not like our US supermarkets, manage a foreign currency, deal with a foreign language, and come back with the smelliest cheeses and the funniest looking dried meats + bread and chocolates. We picnicked every day with some of the best views in the alps. This is the best way to go if you want to do lunch on the cheap. We have succumbed to the longer Euro style lunch over time. Way better than the grab and go US ski routine. The on mountain restaurants in Zermatt are not to be missed.
latest report
choucas wrote:
We skied there with our 3 kids years ago. They were all under 10 at that time. Each morning, I’d hand them about CHF 20 and send them to the local store to buy lunch. The challenge was to navigate shopping in a store that was not like our US supermarkets, manage a foreign currency, deal with a foreign language, and come back with the smelliest cheeses and the funniest looking dried meats + bread and chocolates. We picnicked every day with some of the best views in the alps. This is the best way to go if you want to do lunch on the cheap. We have succumbed to the longer Euro style lunch over time. Way better than the grab and go US ski routine. The on mountain restaurants in Zermatt are not to be missed.

Brilliant!
snow report
telford_mike wrote:
choucas wrote:

Brilliant!

+1
snow report
Well, maybe this is just too obvious.

Prices on the Italian side are 30-40% lower than on the Swiss side.
The international skipass covers both Zermatt and Cervinia. It is more expensive, but you easily earn back the price difference on the savings on food.
In addition to that, slopeside eating in Italy is not only MUCH cheaper, but quality of food as far better as well (duh - Italy)

Etoile is on of the best slopeside restaurants in the world, try not to miss it. You may have to reserve though.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187864-d2702719-r477371151-Chalet_etoile-Breuil_Cervinia_Valtournenche_Valle_d_Aosta.html

Bontadini is nearer the border, and is also highly rated
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187864-d2514243-r566352653-Bontadini-Breuil_Cervinia_Valtournenche_Valle_d_Aosta.html

One point of attention though. The connection to Italy tends to get closed when high winds pick up. Which is more often that you would think.
Make sure to check the weather forecast before you head over.
But when the weather is fine, it is a no-brainer.
snow report
If you are going to Zermatt I think you need to give in to the expense and just roll with it. That said, it is possible to do it 'cheaper' but you'll miss out on some experiences.

Personally a trip to Zermatt is not complete without a meal at Zum See or Findlerhof on the mountain and Giuseppe's in town.
snow report
Quote:

The connection to Italy tends to get closed when high winds pick up.

If the new big lift up to Klein Matterhorn is going to be open I think getting back to Italy in wind should be less of a problem though.

We did Zermatt without spending too much but only ate out on the Italy side a couple of times. Rest of the week was the cheapskates take a sandwich up the hill option -I distinctly remember a baguette frozen lolipop on a couple of days Laughing
ski holidays
Not been in Winter but Chez Vrony was nice in Summer
snow report
Run28 wrote:
If you are going to Zermatt I think you need to give in to the expense and just roll with it. That said, it is possible to do it 'cheaper' but you'll miss out on some experiences.

Personally a trip to Zermatt is not complete without a meal at Zum See or Findlerhof on the mountain and Giuseppe's in town.

On the back of this a good spot in town is Grampis for pizza and pasta...good pricing and no pretentiousness.
ski holidays
And some places even give you a blanket to cover you knees to keep out the cold Very Happy Oh so civilised…..making me want to go back reading this thread. You are very lucky……now where is that clairvoyant with the lottery numbers Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NE1 wrote:
And some places even give you a blanket to cover you knees to keep out the cold Very Happy Oh so civilised…..making me want to go back reading this thread. You are very lucky……now where is that clairvoyant with the lottery numbers Very Happy

+1

A glass of fendant at Zum See sitting outside in the sunshine, a plate of lamb and rosti on route with a blanket over the knees....rather good.
snow report
drbeier wrote:
You are all certainly convincing me to indulge in the mountain restos. And if I start now, I can probably arrange the second mortgage by January.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Run28 wrote:

But.... if you "go for the skiing" and don't eat out you will still have a fantastic time! What you've never had, you never miss... wink
snow report
Bergmeister wrote:
Run28 wrote:

But.... if you "go for the skiing" and don't eat out you will still have a fantastic time! What you've never had, you never miss... wink

Agreed. I'd go for the skiing and the food - unleash the credit card.
latest report
Hi, As my username may suggest, I could afford chips for dinner in Zermatt Very Happy . Not sure if it's still there but a pizza in Grampi's was pretty large and reasonable value. Zermatt is amazing - skiing, scenery and atmosphere. You'll have a great trip and pay off the credit cards over the next xx months!!!
snow conditions
First of all, you picked the right place imo!

My input, repeating much of the above, but what the hell
Lunch rather than dinner as a priority.
Relatively cheap in the evening:-
Grampis pizza circa 28chf
Grizzly’s
McDonalds, - yes there is one.
There is a bratwurst stall on Bahnhofstrasse!
Go to the Papperla pub, great rock covers band normally on and ok bar food
Sparkys. English guy from the Channel Islands, great curries reasonably priced -and other stuff
North wall for Pizza too.

My advice for skiing, is load up with a big breakfast wherever you are staying, first lift up, ski hard till circa 2pm late lunch.
Eat on the mountain, expensive, but my top ten for food and views are as follows in ranking order, and we have eaten in all more than once:-
Findlerhof
Chalet Etoile in Italy. Fish soup!
Chez Vroney
Blattern - just below Zumzee
Zumzee
Fluhalp- our Sunday lunch stop with a live band and great views 2606 metres up.
Bontadini in Italy
Riffleberg self service ok
Blue bar self service. Often music and a great deck with fabulous views.
Other than watching your bank account decline, you will have a great time!
snow report
We have never got further than the above list as in six days skiing we would not want to miss out on a visit!
snow conditions
Been twice with two kids and grandparents and we're not flush with cash..... the Brown Cow do reasonable pub food. I forget the name but there's also a place that does rotisserie chicken at the top end of town that is reasonable. You can get fruit / snacks cheap enough from the Co-Op or Micros.
We stayed in some very nice apartments right in the centre of town (Near a Pizzeria / the Ice Rink) and mostly did stay-in catering in the evening, food on the mountain in the day. Breakfast we'd get fresh bread and eggs... It might sound like poverty to some but it works well for us.

For us, we're more about the skiing than the gourmet food... most Zermatt visitors probably struggle to choose between the two haha. I know you're from the US but we used the website swisspasses.com to do ski hire and lift passes which was also reasonable.

Big recommendation for Bontadini and Fluhalp from me!
snow report
@Ryanbakewell52, the chicken place is called Mad Hilda’s or Screaming Hilda’s or something, I couldn’t think of the name either!
Whatever it’s called it’s got her own recipe coating on it and it is yummy!
latest report
Thanks
Quote:

VolklAttivaS5
, yes not something I've tasted before or since. Might have to go back just for a chicken Very Happy
ski holidays
Ryanbakewell52 wrote:
Thanks
Quote:

VolklAttivaS5
, yes not something I've tasted before or since. Might have to go back just for a chicken Very Happy

Yes the lady in there has a reputation for being rude apparently but I found her alright to be honest. But abrupt maybe but who cares as long as the chicken is nice Laughing
snow conditions
"Wilde Hilde". But permanently closed per Google.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy