Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Zillertal 2021/22

Poster: A snowHead
I went skiing at Hintertux today, and very nice it was, too! Very Happy

Hero snow down to the Tuxer Fernerhaus. Below that was fresh snow on a rocky base! Toofy Grin They were making snow down the red piste to Sommerberg, but it's nowhere near ready to open yet.
Above the Tuxer Fernerhaus was good cover. The Gefrorene Wand and Olperer sides were all open and half of the Kaserer side - though it looked like they were working on the farther Kaserer lift track, so maybe that will be opening soon.
There were a lot of race teams training, so the lifts first thing were quite busy. However, once everyone had dispersed the queues weren't bad and the pistes were fairly quiet.

You have to wear an FFP2 mask in the gondolas (not on the chairlift or T-Bars) - the lifties were looking and not letting people through the turnstiles without one.
3Gs (vaccinated, tested, recovered) were being checked at the entrance to the restaurant. They were scanning apps. but they were also happy to accept a photo of a vaccination card.

There's a photo from today here: https://www.facebook.com/skiCHECK/ It's the typical Hintertux photo of Olperer which has been taken thousands of times before Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great stuff SaraJ - sounds great. Mrs MA and I will (covid permitting) be doing a bit of an Austrian-glacier road trip for a week from 5th November.

We're flying to Salzburg and are planning on at least Hintertux and Kitzsteinhorn - maybe Stubai too.

Really can't wait as it will be our first trip to the Alps since we were there when the Tirol closed down in March 2020.

Was it busy in the Gletscherbus today? We were hoping it wouldn't be as we don't much fancy being crammed in in covid times...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mountainaddict, In the morning they had the smaller gondolas (8er Sommerberg and 4er Fernerhaus) running too. We used those from the bottom and had the gondolas to ourselves. The Gletscherbus 3 was not crammed full. Everyone had a seat and, everyone kept their mask on for the journey. There was a queue for the lift but there was no urgency about it, people kept their distance and were quite chilled about waiting.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sounds reasonable. Thanks for the info.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Time to perk up this thread again!

I've just been told that Hochfügen and Hochzillertal will open on Saturday, 11th Dec. and, all being well, will be open now until the end of the season.
And it's snowing Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@SaraJ, I saw the Zillertal Arena FB stories/pics just now and it looks great. Not just lots of snow but the cold and light kind snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I’m going Monday and staying in Aschau, it doesn’t matter if not but I wonder if they will have the ski route/path open to the village as if so I can ski back to my B&B
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@VolklAttivaS5, They've been making snow on it and it's snowing to the valley at the moment. However, at the start of the season they normally concentrate on the areas that have the most traffic so I expect it will be officially closed until Christmas.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@SaraJ, thanks
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
First morning in Zillertal today after arriving yesterday from Munich.
So happy to be here!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Skied in Kaltenbach today, everywhere here has staggered opening dates (apart from Hintertux obviously).
I’ve never seen the place so quiet and have been here before this week of the season many times, it may be because each resort isn’t fully open yet.
Snow coverage is excellent and I think the valley runs would be open if it wasn’t for the lack of guests/staggered lift opening. It’s not for lack of snow there’s snow on the piste right back to the bottom station. There’s a couple of thin patches but that would be easily covered with snow cannon snow if need be.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Skied in Mayrhofen today. Again limited opening but plenty to ski, there seemed to be more people there than in Kaltenbach yesterday, but still very quiet. Snow was in great condition, off piste is sun affected and crunchy so not worth it.
Had a walk around Mayrhofen town before catching the bus back to Aschau, eerily quiet without the apres ski venues pumping out music. Also the Penkenbahn is closed for now so there’s not the usual hustle and bustle around there.
Access to the mountain is via the Horbergbahn for now.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In Zillertal Arena today. It’s noticeably busier today than the last few days probably because today is the proper opening day here, there was limited lift opening in Zell am Ziller the past few days so I went elsewhere.
Now it feels like a normal pre Xmas week. Lovely day too!

Yesterday I skied over to Eggalm from the Horbergbahn and back. Can’t fault the conditions, pistes in great shape.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Much colder day in Zillertal Arena today, looks like there’s been a slight dusting of snow overnight. Snow is coming later this week for those of you that are heading out for Christmas or are already here.
Pistes are in fantastic condition, just needs a good dump of snow to get the off piste going again as it’s still hard and crusty.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes much colder today! The temp gage at 3pm was 7 degrees less at the Larchwald lift at the base than yesterday. Snow felt better as a result and pistes were fresh all day. Cold toes all round. Hardly any people around.

Yesterday we were asked twice for 2G proof on the mountain but only one person per table.

We skied over to Eggalm and had pistes to ourselves. Love it over there.

None of umbrella bars open except a few people seated in one at the Penken. No music.
snow conditions
@Matrix, wasn’t it just (cold)!
Brrrr. The Krimml X-press chair on the way back from Gerlos to Zell certainly brought back memories today of how cold it gets on there! All that time in the shade of course. I remember the first time I went to Zell/Gerlos and it snowed and snowed and snowed. I was on that chair in heavy snowfall and poor visibility and although today was clear and sunny it reminded me of that!

I’ve just seen though they are going to replace that 4 man chair with a 10 person gondola with heated seats in 2022. That will be great!
latest report
@VolklAttivaS5, a couple of years ago my mate and myself literally huddled together on that lift.
ski holidays
It’s very old! Absolutely should be replaced. I wonder how many investments will be put back.

The link between mayrhofen and Kaltenbach will probably be out back a few years at least.
ski holidays
Matrix wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5, a couple of years ago my mate and myself literally huddled together on that lift.

Laughing definitely one of those! I was trying to think of other lifts that are the same elsewhere. There’s a few in Banff that’s for sure
ski holidays
Matrix wrote:
It’s very old! Absolutely should be replaced. I wonder how many investments will be put back.

The link between mayrhofen and Kaltenbach will probably be out back a few years at least.

Oh I didn’t know there was talk of those joining up.
Will look that up now.
snow report
@Matrix, there were a couple of lifts I thought were new in Zillertal Arena as before this week I think the last time I’d been was Dec 2017.
snow conditions
@Matrix, by the way I meant to say that the new restaurant Wiesenalm is very nice and well worth a visit if you’ve not been.
ski holidays
@VolklAttivaS5, They built the Möslbahn which only serves a few houses and hotels to great expense (and one new but very nice piste). There was quite a bit of press speculation that the plan in the future was to link the two areas. TT had several articles with local land owners confirming that options to purchase or use land had been signed. Then Hippach said they wouldn’t support it unless a new piste was created to the valley floor first (currently a ski route) with a mid station created on the Horbergbahn to allow uplift on the new piste etc etc. But covid has put aside any of the plans I would have thought.
snow conditions
I suspect those in Mayrhofen don’t really think the whole project makes sense if it means less tourists driving to the town in the winter.
ski holidays
Then there are the greens/environmentalists of course.
ski holidays
@SaraJ, did you hear anything about this project?
latest report
Matrix wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5, They built the Möslbahn which only serves a few houses and hotels to great expense (and one new but very nice piste). There was quite a bit of press speculation that the plan in the future was to link the two areas. TT had several articles with local land owners confirming that options to purchase or use land had been signed. Then Hippach said they wouldn’t support it unless a new piste was created to the valley floor first (currently a ski route) with a mid station created on the Horbergbahn to allow uplift on the new piste etc etc. But covid has put aside any of the plans I would have thought.

I’ve been reading about it this evening. I noted the Moeslbahn was new but it was closed when I was there last week. So I’ve not done the new piste!
A piste down to Hippach would be great.

Yes I think the latest on it was they had too much to think about for the moment what with the Covid challenges.
And then yes there’s the wildlife concerns.
snow report
@Matrix, Ever since I've been here there's been talk about joining them up. I haven't seen anything official but it was starting to look more likely with the building of the Möslbahn and the drag lift down the back behind Kristallhütte in Kaltenbach, as well as the renovation of the Kashütte there.
A few big projects have been put on hold over the last 18 months. Two that I know about - replacing the cold, slow 3-chair at Spieljoch and the gondola linking Spieljoch and Hochzillertal.
I guess it's all still in the pipeline, but who knows Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are planning on zillertal arena , arriving on 28th December.
My understanding is that we can sail from hull to Rotterdam and transit through Holland and Germany, with a negative test ?
snow report
@steven young, you are best looking on this thread for the answers to that question.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=153006&start=5480
snow report
Today I’m off to Kaltenbach. Haven’t been since it all opened up properly at the weekend so that will be nice and I will check out what they’ve done with the Kashütte whilst I’m there.
snow conditions
@SaraJ, I’m in the Kashütte now, well the umbrella bit with tables in it. Very nice. What was it before? Still called Kashütte but without this umbrella extension part?

For those that know the area well would you say the off piste terrain/Freeride potential in Kaltenbach/HochFugen is better than in Zillertal Arena? It looks like it?
Where the Kristal Hutte is (and where the big piste sign is near to the kids wooden play bridge), well behind the sign there’s a zig zag track that goes down to somewhere, I need to look at a 1:25000 map to make sense of where Kaltenbach ends and Mayrhofen sort of starts reference this potential link up being discussed.
latest report
@VolklAttivaS5, The renovation was when they built the restaurant. Before that it was a farm building, which, according to their website, used to be a dairy. Hence the name Kashütte or Cheese Hut.

I'd need to go and have a look, but I think the track that you're talking about is possibly the Zillertaler Höhenstrasse.
ski holidays
SaraJ wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5, The renovation was when they built the restaurant. Before that it was a farm building, which, according to their website, used to be a dairy. Hence the name Kashütte or Cheese Hut.

I'd need to go and have a look, but I think the track that you're talking about is possibly the Zillertaler Höhenstrasse.

Ooh ok so it’s a new restaurant then? I didn’t think I’d seen it before. That T Bar leading up from it is new too then?
ski holidays
I noticed from the big piste map by the wooden kids play bridge that the peak behind the Kristal Hutte is the Rastkogel so that would make sense.
I’m still going to get a look at a 1:25000 map though to make better sense of it.
I can see it happening in time, after all, the piste leading to the Kashütte leads to nowhere else currently.
snow report
Had a look at FATMAP which was actually easier, I can see what the zig zag road is now I could see from the Kristallhütte.
It looks like joining up to Mösl would be quite easy…it’s nearer than I’d imagined once I’d seen the FATMAP snowHead
snow report
Last skiing day today for a while. Went over to Hoch Fugen today, quiet pistes and another nice sunny day. It’s been cold the last few days so the pistes are still in very nice condition with lots of snowmaking going on yesterday in Kaltenbach. There’s a very nice bar at the bottom in Kaltenbach where I stopped yesterday for a couple of gluhweins before catching the bus back to Aschau.
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, I was teaching in Kaltenbach yesterday... I didn't see you NehNeh I was teaching in Hochfügen today... I didn't see you NehNeh

Good to hear you enjoyed your stay here Cool
snow report
SaraJ wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5, I was teaching in Kaltenbach yesterday... I didn't see you NehNeh I was teaching in Hochfügen today... I didn't see you NehNeh

Good to hear you enjoyed your stay here Cool

Laughing
There was hardly anyone about was there! Again!
Yes I enjoyed it, shame it didn’t snow whilst I was here as I saw some quite nice looking pitches in Hoch Zillertal and Hoch Fügen today. There is definitely more potential there than in Zillertal Arena.
That snow park is good too isn’t it, much bigger than the Penken Park in Mayrhofen!
snow report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

For those that know the area well would you say the off piste terrain/Freeride potential in Kaltenbach/HochFugen is better than in Zillertal Arena? It looks like it? .

All the off piste terrain at Hoch Fügen is crap. You‘d have a much better day in the Zillertal Arena. Although there appears to be a wealth of very good easily accessible terrain, in reality it is nowhere near as good as it looks from the lift. The Freeriding there is particularly poor the day after new snow.

It’s worth going there to have a lesson with SaraJ, but not for Freeriding.

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy