Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Soul 7 HD for touring?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi I am hopefully looking to start touring this year. I have some Rossignol Soul7 HD skis 188 that I really enjoy . Would it be worth swapping the bindings and using for touring rather than look around for a set of second had skis then sell my soul 7’s

I am a newbi to the touring and have been looking to do it for a few years now, so if the covid let’s me near a mountain currently I have a 8 night tour booked in Austria in March plus two other courses in Scotland booked . So I want to have a reasonable set up and am
Not looking to rent .
Thanks Eh oh! Eh oh!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think they will be just about perfect for a new tourer. I have both Sin and Soul on alpine bindings, but Sins on touring. Some days they are perfect other days I wish I was on Soul. I imagine you'll be the same but the other way round!

Others will come along and exhort you to go lighter and more expensive, you can do that when you know whether you are going to tour big time.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@bigtoe, fine for an hour or so uphill. Anything more than that you might want to look at a lighter set up.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
gorilla wrote:
@bigtoe, fine for an hour or so uphill. Anything more than that you might want to look at a lighter set up.

this
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
All depends on the expected conditions on the descent, if powder or crud you'll be glad to have the Soul 7's! My touring skis are 105 and 112 with light (Alpinist) bindings on and never do I wish for a lighter setup, just don't go and whack Shifts or similar on them or you will have a heavy setup........
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Even with a light binding these would be at the heavier end of the ski touring set up. So as other have said it kind of depends on usage and your fitness levels. short tours or if your happy to suffer a bit on the way and they will be fine, for the way down perfect. But if you get in to touring with bigger days, I guarantee you will look to get a lighter set up.

I think I would convert the soul 7's and see how you go, try them out in Scotland and see how you find them. Then talk to guide or leader on the 8 day trip and see what kind of height gain they are looking to do each day, and match this to how you found the skis in Scotland, that should give you a good idea if you can manage.

On the bright side if you do decide you want a lighter set up, then you will already have the bindings to swap over and if you pick your ski right should be able to convert the skins, so you just need to buy some skis.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I do a bit of day touring with a buddy on Souls. My gear is better, but he is fitter, guess who wins?

It ain't me.

He loves them and if you have them they sound perfect!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just reread your post. Ignore me 8 days = get something lighter Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the advise , much appreciated.
So I guess I’m going to have to make decisions then on what to buy, any suggestions ? Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Blizzard zero G 95. Or 105, if you don't mind black skis, ew.

I'm getting some Kastles because they match my kit - you should always take this into account! Also a friend has the Zero G's and don't want to clash Neh Neh
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@bigtoe, in my experience the most reliable and sensible freely available interweb reviews are on Blister. They rave about the Salomon MTN Explore 95 (and have done consistently for 5 years) and the Majesty Superwoolf (91mm underfoot). Read them and see if it sounds like you.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@HammondR, top man thanks for that
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@bigtoe, A few threads to read! Are you also looking into touring or hybrid boots?

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=155690

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=149515
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would just keep your Soul 7's. It's not my favourite ski, but I wouldn't buy new until you see if you want to tour a lot. I don't do a lot of long distance touring now, and have Volkl Mantra's with slab shifts on. I have always avoided lightweight skis and pin bindings, because they just don't cut it on the descent, and pin bindings are a faff to use. I'm always waiting for my mate who has pin bindings fannying about trying to get his boots in them. He might be slightly faster on the way up if he can get his boots in them, but whenever it gets icy or deep on the way down, his narrower touring skis just don't cut it, and flap about it. If he falls on the way down , then I can expect to wait 10 minutes at least until he clears his boots/ pins to start again. Yawn. This is just personal preference of course. But beware the non DIN pin binding.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have a few Scandi friends, plus an American I tour with and they have Soul 7 HD's in their touring quiver (all mounted with various Pin bindings) and really get on well with them for touring.

I was regularly touring on my Black Crows Atris which are probably of a similar weight/profile mounted with Tectons.
ski holidays
I completely forgot I had put a bid late last week kb some Cham 97 high mountain skis without bindings which I won for £108.00

I was going to keep the soul7’s after the comments above and swap the bindings now however I’m in a dilemma !

Has any one got any experience the the Cham 97 , review I’ve read seems to say it’s a good ski for touring and the descents ?

I’m thinking of the shift binding after nevis1003 comments as well to either go on the Cham’s or the Soul’s .
Thanks
latest report
@bigtoe, If you are dabbling with uphill (or doing it seriously, but to access lines rather than huts) and want/need a full alpine binding downhill, shifts are good. If you are doing multi day tours, they're very heavy and will you be skiing anything that demanding (to be reliant on the alpine binding-ness) anyway? Personally I don't like the feel of tech bindings downhill but I would be on them if I was touring for days in a row.
snow conditions
I know people who whole bunch to complain about Soul 7, but they have been my primary touring ski for years now. They are relatively light, they ski good in powder so what else would I want. For times when there's no fresh powder and for steep stuff I have more narrow pair (before Rossi Seek7 now Blackops Escaper) but I would still say some 70-80% I'm on Soul 7 with Look's version of Dynafit Speed Turn 2 bindings.
snow report
bigtoe wrote:
I completely forgot I had put a bid late last week kb some Cham 97 high mountain skis without bindings which I won for £108.00

I was going to keep the soul7’s after the comments above and swap the bindings now however I’m in a dilemma !

Has any one got any experience the the Cham 97 , review I’ve read seems to say it’s a good ski for touring and the descents ?

I’m thinking of the shift binding after nevis1003 comments as well to either go on the Cham’s or the Soul’s .
Thanks

The high mountain is the lighter touring version of the regular Cham, right? If so, it should work well.

I love the Shifts and have them on two touring set ups personally, but they would not be my first choice binding for an 8 night ski tour (as you say you have planned)! Where in Austria will you be touring, to what altitudes and how much vert in a day? If that's really 7-8 days of touring 1000m vert in a row, you'll legs will be beasted if on Shifts.
latest report
@clarky999, hi yes that's right they are the lighter touring version.

Tirol is the area that's been organised first hut are five accents are between 600 and 750m the second hut the accents are between 850 and 1300m

I have been thinking that I could use the soul's or the cham's with different bindings (shifts) for everything as in when im away on lift holidays or touring or a bit of a walk up on the occasion when im with friends who are just there for the lifts.

But if the shifts are to heavy for the real hut treks which is what im after eventually then maybe I need a light touring set and my souls maybe with shift bindings for the other days ?

My wife might kill me though !!!

@primoz, thanks i guess the binding needs to be looked at as much as the ski or maybe more so !

@mgrolf, yes I do really want to get into some good touring which bindings would you suggest

@nevis1003, the shifts sound good as i am not into flaffing about, but if im looking to do this for a few days and as you use shifts then should I in your opinion look for lighter ones? if so which are the less flaffy Smile

Thanks everyone
snow report
bigtoe wrote:

Tirol is the area that's been organised first hut are five accents are between 600 and 750m the second hut the accents are between 850 and 1300m

I have been thinking that I could use the soul's or the cham's with different bindings (shifts) for everything as in when im away on lift holidays or touring or a bit of a walk up on the occasion when im with friends who are just there for the lifts.

But if the shifts are to heavy for the real hut treks which is what im after eventually then maybe I need a light touring set and my souls maybe with shift bindings for the other days ?

I've done one hut trip (3 days touring) on Shifts a little over 1000m a day and it was fine, and longer hut trips (5 or 6 touring days I think, with 1 day break) with Kingpins but heavier skis and that was fine. But I also tour at least 1 or 2 days a week in season anyway so my legs are fairly used to it. If all ascents were up to <750m I'd have no qualms, but 8 days straight with up to 1300m is a big ask on Shifts. If you're very fit and work hard on your legs for a couple of months before hand it would be doable, but honestly there are better tools for that job. Especially if you'll be taking in glacier stuff over 3000m altitude too.

Putting them on your Souls for everything though, resort and day tours, is a perfect use case for them.
latest report
bigtoe wrote:

@mgrolf, yes I do really want to get into some good touring which bindings would you suggest

I'm not really qualified to suggest anything because...

clarky999 wrote:

Putting them on your Souls for everything though, resort and day tours, is a perfect use case for them.

...pretty much describes how I use mine (just not on Souls).

There are others who will no doubt chime in on suitable tech bindings for you.
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
bigtoe wrote:

I've done one hut trip (3 days touring) on Shifts a little over 1000m a day and it was fine, and longer hut trips (5 or 6 touring days I think, with 1 day break) with Kingpins but heavier skis and that was fine. But I also tour at least 1 or 2 days a week in season anyway so my legs are fairly used to it. If all ascents were up to <750m I'd have no qualms, but 8 days straight with up to 1300m is a big ask on Shifts. If you're very fit and work hard on your legs for a couple of months before hand it would be doable, but honestly there are better tools for that job. Especially if you'll be taking in glacier stuff over 3000m altitude too.

I agree that Soul 7s will be fine to get you started. They are pretty light and very easy to handle off piste. I'd quiver killer some inexpensive pin bindings on them (say marker alpinists) assuming you've got boots with tech fittings. I've done hut to hut tours on heavyish set ups and I'm not super fit. It's totally doable. If you love it then you'll probably end up buying a lighter set up but you could then reuse the quiver killered tech bindings.
latest report
@jedster, thanks . Quiver killer ! If I understand correctly you buy one binding and can swap it from ski to ski ?
latest report
@bigtoe, here ya go:
snow conditions
@spyderjon, thanks
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy