Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski hire - which skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everybody,

We are (hopefully!!) off to Cervinia for New Year.

It doesn't look like there is a huge amount of snow, so I am hiring some piste skis. All the shops offer premium skis, and then above that, Stockli skis? Anybody used them? Worth the premium?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@MaxiD, Stockli are premier skis but it all depends how much that premium is, doesn't it?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If byou are hiring its a great opportunity to try a couple of skis out . We used to have at least two days a week when we would hire, and swap between us halfway through the day. Tried some Stockli Lasers a couple of years, like skiing on rails Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

like skiing on rails

In a good way...?

Quote:

swap between us halfway through the day

Great idea!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you hire Stockli (or any other expensive skis), make sure they are well insured. In France, it is worth taking the shop's own insurance out as well as as your own. Italy may do something similar.

If you are a decent skier and are not on a strict budget - then why not.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 21-12-21 11:08; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
yes in a good way...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everybody!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MaxiD wrote:
Hi everybody,

We are (hopefully!!) off to Cervinia for New Year.

It doesn't look like there is a huge amount of snow, so I am hiring some piste skis. All the shops offer premium skis, and then above that, Stockli skis? Anybody used them? Worth the premium?

Yes. Stöcklis are absolutely amazing.

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 for Stockli skis. I have the Laser SX and love them, best pistes skis I have ever tried.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@MaxiD, Buy some Stockli GS skis off ebay ... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255250148477 for £150. Sell them when you get back.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@skimastaaah, not a bad deal there if genuine and for a FIS standard ski, probably killed its last owner. wink

But what's this mean ? rolling eyes

1din = 10/12 kg.”
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ster wrote:

1din = 10/12 kg.”

Set the DIN settings at 10 if you're a fat bloke weighing 110-120 kgs!

As a pretty decent go faster GS piste ski these bad boys look worth it just to see what a FIS race bred ski can do. Bindings are Salomon STH 14 (6-14 DIN), mounted on Stockli's own raceplate. Bargain!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@skimastaaah, like I said, death machine.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ster, Those are skis for teenage racers, they can be fine for lightweight adults as well.

Standard male race binding setting formula is 1 stone = 1 DIN.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@rjs, I didn’t get the junior racer bit from the ad and as they were 180cm.

Weight to DIN, thats seems a pretty blunt mechanism. Is it done that way as all the DIN calculators Ive seen ask for, as well as weight, your height and boot length (I guess to come to overall torsional moments that will be seen?) and what type of skier you are.
ski holidays
@ster, Yeah - I haven't seen DIN16 on many hire bindings Smile
latest report
If you're going to try stocklis, recommend the slalom models, sure the rest of range are quality product but their SLs are just alive underfoot. Hang on and enjoy !!
ski holidays
ster wrote:
Weight to DIN, thats seems a pretty blunt mechanism. Is it done that way as all the DIN calculators Ive seen ask for, as well as weight, your height and boot length (I guess to come to overall torsional moments that will be seen?) and what type of skier you are.

The formula only applies for racing, you don't get fat racers so it works well.
snow conditions
@rjs, lets hope no fat punters buy these and set their DINs according to that advice on the sale page then wink
latest report
If you are buying from the EU via ebay, watch out for taxes etc !!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy