Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pre Departure PCR testing

Poster: A snowHead
With a similar purpose to the thread I started to collate Antigen testing, now PCRs are the order of the day for Switzerland, would be good to get together peoples experiences of their pre-departure PCR testing exploits. Who did you use, how was the service/cost etc.

Specifically with the festive period coming up, it dawned on me the self administered by-post tests won't be an option as the mail service is not going to be reliable enough to get the samples back to the labs.

How are folk intending to get PCRd during this period? In-person testing obviosuly at a premium but has anyone spotted a self-admin service that allows a reliable drop box/return over Christmas and NY?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I did a Randox drop box on Wednesday, dropped off at 2pm, results back by 7am the next morning for a flight to Switzerland tomorrow morning.

It was £35 as I was able to click and collect, it is £43 delivery (with code easyJet2021) . The click and collect locations change frequently so worth checking.

I understand the service is largely as usual over Christmas with some drop boxes closed on Christmas day.

It obviously depends on if there is a dropbox near you but there are quite a lot so hopefully one location works.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Let down by Nationwide Pathology (NWP) despite dropping off samples at the lab to avoid risk of post delays

The Drive through at Manchester Airport on morning of our flight was brilliant, although costly

Use Trustpilot to check testing companies you may be considering
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BenW_86,

I couldn't work out how to download the Randox "certify" app to receive the result.

Did you find it an easy process to download the app?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@BenW_86, I'll have another look at the Randox drop box locations, I sort of assumed they would be equally at risk over festive period {edited again} as they'd be using Collect+ etc like others, but looks like their drop boxes are actually using dedicated couriers?

@On the rocks, noticed the poor feedback for NWP, will avoid, thank you
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I just received an email with a pdf of the results which have the date and time.

On Google maps if you click a Dropbox it tells you what the opening situation will be over Christmas, one near me (Bristol) is open all through Christmas, the other only closed on Christmas day. I would assume they wouldn't say open if they aren't going to collect.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@BenW_86,

Just for clarification, are you saying you didn't need their "Certify" app to receive the test result.

So you simply receive a certificate in PDF?

I don't want any problems trying to get through flight check in.

Thanks.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
we used Randox for our return test, we didn't use the app

Unfortunately we had a problem that my test returned an "inconclusive result" which is classed as a fail, for me this is the big problem with a PCR test for departure, you don't know the result until you get the certificate. If timing allows it's better to go with a lateral flow because you get an immediate result.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes I wasn't planning on using the app as I got the result emailed in a pdf, I've used similar with other providers earlier in the year.

As @richb67 said there is a risk of inconclusive but that applies everywhere I guess. If you do it early enough there may be time to go for one of the in person ones in the unfortunate event that happens.

All very frustrating but hopefully I'll be in resort tomorrow!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@BenW_86,

Thanks, good luck & enjoy.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Used randox for our PCRs for Switzerland, dropped them off at Heathrow 10pm, so we know we missed the collection that day.
They acknowledged receipt of the sample at 18:56 next day, got our results at 03:43 next morning.

Very impressed with that, if we’d have dropped by 5pm then that would be approximately 11hrs turn around.

We also have taken our day 2 tests with us, so plan to test ourselves as soon as we arrive in uk from the tunnel, then drop off at Heathrow box en route home.
If all goes like above we will wake up the next day and be free from isolation.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And just like that no longer needed for entry into Switzerland, Randox seemed to be offering the best service hands down
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We used Source Bioscience for our fit to fly PCRs.
Posted Wednesday 2.30 pm in RM Priority Post Box with 24 hr delivery.
They only arrived at Source Bioscience yesterday mid-morning, so too late for our rearranged flights yesterday, so trip cancelled.
The results have arrived overnight, which would have been ok for our original flights today.
Source Bioscience were Which recommended, and were very apologetic, but our learning lesson is don't rely on a provider using the postal service as 72 hrs isn't enough time. Use a drop off.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JDL65, really sorry to hear that, that was exactly my concern being dependant on a postal service at any time of year let alone the festive period.

Pre-departure PCR testing is a significant issue unless you are prepared to pay £150ish pp and for a family of 5 that was out of the question for us
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We did PCR tests on Friday at midday in a pharmacy in Aberdeen. These are taken to Glasgow about 2pm then shipped to Randox in N Ireland. We were texted to say they'd received our tests at 2 mins to midnight. Had certificates emailed by 8am today. Excellent service but pricey. Given we had to book flights for tonight instead of driving as planned, it was all very stressful but turned out ok.
snow report
Randox Day2 arrival tests at Manchester drive through. Tests taken Day 0 at 13:00, guaranteed results back by 23:59 Day 1.

Woke up Day 1 to results back at about 3am Day1. £45 each with code.

For our return journey on 28th, doing same but with 1-3 hour express service. £75 each with code.
ski holidays
What happens if your day 2 test is inconclusive? (Or the results just never arrive?). Do you have to continue to isolate and pay for another test, or can you go get a free one?
ski holidays
RobinS wrote:
What happens if your day 2 test is inconclusive? (Or the results just never arrive?). Do you have to continue to isolate and pay for another test, or can you go get a free one?

You contact your private provider for a replacement test & stay isolated until you have a negative result.
snow report
I used the Collinson drive-in at Manchester Airport for rapid PCR pre-departure test before my flight to Geneva last week. It was £66 with the discount code applied. I thought their service was excellent. I was able to amend the time of my test very easily after I'd booked it (via their WhatsApp chat), and the result with certificate was emailed to me 2 hours after having the test.

I would definitely use them again (had my Day 2 test there this morning too). I don't think I'd risk using a postal service for a pre-departure test - it's too risky and tight with the turnaround times and window of time that you actually need the results to be valid for travel.
ski holidays
That sounds an excellent turnaround. I booked a PCR pre-departure test by GPDQ at Bournemouth Airport. They undertake to have the results by the next day. I had known people use them and had results easily within 24 hours. I had the test at 10.40 am and did not get my result until 36 hours later - within their terms of next day but not a great service, especially at £89. Stressful.
snow report
We used Randox click and collect service. Booked the tests late Friday night, collected them first thing on Saturday morning tested and into the drop box (last pick up 5pm, had been hopeful of an earlier one) Confirmation email sent at 1am Sunday, test results back 1pm Sunday. Very happy at just under £35 each, even though we did have to drive a bit further as our local places were out of stock.
ski holidays
- Pre-departure (UK to Switzerland when a PCR was required for entry) we used DAM Health - tested at 12:30, results emailed at 19:30.

- UK arrival Day 0-2 PCR we used Collinson at Luton airport. Best described as utterly chaotic (long queues with no concept of social distancing; pre-booking mixed with no booking; took over an hour to shuffle through, show our pre-booked paperwork and have a test). I'm comparing this with 4-7 day/pre-departure tests in Switzerland where pre-booked had a different queue (none) to no booking and we were through in minutes.
ski holidays
The Collinson drive-in at Manchester Airport has been virtually deserted both times I have used it - once on a Thursday evening, the other on Sunday morning.

You have the test taken while sat in your car, so no issues with trying to socially distance in a queue.

I am lucky though to only live 15 mins drive away, so it's convenient for me to use any time I need to. It's only 2 mins off J6 of the M56 though, so viable for those in the Mancs/Lancs/Cheshire area.
ski holidays
CathS wrote:
The Collinson drive-in at Manchester Airport has been virtually deserted both times I have used it - once on a Thursday evening, the other on Sunday morning.

You have the test taken while sat in your car, so no issues with trying to socially distance in a queue.

I am lucky though to only live 15 mins drive away, so it's convenient for me to use any time I need to. It's only 2 mins off J6 of the M56 though, so viable for those in the Mancs/Lancs/Cheshire area.

How long did it take to get your results ?? Is it viable to use on the way to get a flight at the airport ?? thanks
ski holidays
I’ve been very happy both times I used Express test drive in at LHR T4. Tests are guaranteed next day before 10PM. First time things were fairly busy but we had to park up and wait for maybe 20/30min. Results back next day by 4pm. This time no queue we were straight in and results back next day by 5:30pm. Both of these were fit to fly. First time was about £50 each and second time £54. (I had a code but advertised is £59)
snow report
Tiddles wrote:
CathS wrote:

How long did it take to get your results ?? Is it viable to use on the way to get a flight at the airport ?? thanks

Their advertised turnaround for the pre-departure rapid PCR is 3 hours. Mine took 2 hours.

I don't think I would cut it so fine prior to a flight though, unless you had no other option, in case of any issues delaying the result or needing a re-test.

It's not open 24hrs either. 7am to 7pm I think.
latest report
I used Randox for my Day 2 test. Dropped off (at Waterloo) at 6pm, results by midday the next day
snow report
Hi, does anyone here know if the NHS per test results can be printed out with a qr code?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999 wrote:
Hi, does anyone here know if the NHS per test results can be printed out with a qr code?

no they can't as they are not for travel purposes
latest report
@andmelffion, thanks for confirming!

2nd Question: Does anyone happen to know of an option to get a PCR test on 26th or 27th (flight is on 28th) halfway close to Norwich for less than £299?
ski holidays
@clarky999, Try Randox clinics – looks like Cambridge or Stansted though. £299!! Daylight robbery Shocked
snow report
@clarky999, They do testing on site at Norwich Airport. Don't have to fly through there - know someone who got tested there, then flew from Stansted. No idea of costs.
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
@clarky999, Try Randox clinics – looks like Cambridge or Stansted though. £299!! Daylight robbery Shocked

No availability until days later unfortunately. it is kind of blowing my mind that the UK's testing infrastructure is worse than some third world countries I've been in recently!
latest report
@Scarlet, Weird -- Randox PCR test at Manchester airport is £88 (express service - result in 1 to 3 hours)

from this link -- https://covid.randox.com/clinic-locator/

==== Apologies === didn't read that the test was needed for the 26th

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 24-12-21 11:22; edited 2 times in total
snow report
@clarky999, https://book.vivoclinic.com/cambridge/ do a same day result service for £165 they have slots on the 27th
Never used them
ski holidays
@clarky999, appointments came up for me on those dates when I clicked through, just not Norwich. https://book.vivoclinic.com/ or https://stn.randox.com/
latest report
@clarky99, Collinson do a rapid PCR (3 hours) drive through at Stansted for £82, currently discounted to £66. When I went 09:00 Monday 21 Dec it was very quiet and we got the results in 1.5 hours. I got a discount with discount code Amex20.
snow report
RobinS wrote:
@clarky999, They do testing on site at Norwich Airport. Don't have to fly through there - know someone who got tested there, then flew from Stansted. No idea of costs.

That was my plan, but unfortunately no availability until January!

Scarlet wrote:
@clarky999, appointments came up for me on those dates when I clicked through, just not Norwich. https://book.vivoclinic.com/ or https://stn.randox.com/

Looked at them too, but as far as I can see the next day test results come between 8-10pm the next day (it too late), and same day was still £199. I think the cost is due to Christmas period + then bank holiday...

------

But thanks all! In the end it was easier to change my flight (props to easyJet, no cost to do so!) to the 30th and get a test in Norwich on the 28th, but I appreciate the help!
snow conditions
Took 3 PCRs with Eurofins in Livingston today for entry to Italy on the 26th (could have taken remote antigen tests tomorrow perhaps but was nervous about certificate turnaround on Xmas Day etc). Went for Fast VIP (results promised within 8 hours) and Drive-Through so one less link to fail in the chain. £81 each with airline discount code (not the airline we are flying with Embarassed ). While there, the staff confirmed that the samples are tested on-site (in fact, they promised to walk them straight over).

3 negatives back within 4h30 so very happy with service (and result!). Would recommend for Scottish flyers and will use for Day 2 testing on (hopeful) return.
ski holidays
Say you take a PCR 10am Thursday, send it off, get results 10pm Friday night.

Is the 48hrs from 10am Thursday or 10pm Friday? I.e do you have to put test time when you actually take the test?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy