Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes by car - advice required please

Poster: A snowHead
It looks like a visit to Tignes March 2022 and I am looking for some advice please. We are looking at driving the 988 miles from West Yorkshire to Tignes as a member of the group is adamant he is avoiding crowded areas (planes, airports, transfer coaches) because of Covid and his vulnerable wife.

What toll fees can I expect for the drive down from Calais?

Last time (March 2020) we stayed at the levanna but the prices have gone up 100% and I’m not paying £4K for a week for a room for 3. There look to be some apartments in the block where moose bar is. Are they any good? Any other suggestions?

Car parking. I drive a 2020 ford ranger so it needs a reasonable parking space. Where is parking and at what cost please?

Any help or advice on driving to Tignes and having the car there for a week much appreciated.

Thank you and hope to see people on the slopes in a few months. Eh oh!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Plot your route in Viamichelin and it will give a good approximation on costs
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As above for planning route, viamichelin site will give good details.

Panel of detail to input car type etc to trim data effectively for you to get accurate feedback is useful.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Kevinstephenson, welcome.

Last month it cost me £81.30 Calais-Tignes one way including doofer charge.

Lots of parking options in and outdoor, although less so at the moment due to the new Club Med being built in the main car park in VC. We have just bought our season car park space. An indication of how much pressure there will be on spaces this year is that they gave us a discount for agreeing to not use the car park in one designated week. Size of vehicle should not be a problem. Best to book a space in advance via the Tignes website, or try and get a free one down in Brev.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We often drive from Lancashire to French resorts and reckon on approx £900 for fuel, tolls, tunnel, covered car parking, European breakdown cover, green card, cheap hotel around Dijon on the way down, Suite hotel at Coquells and dinner at City de Europe on the way home.
We used the municipal covered car park in Tigne le Lac in 2018. It's pretty central. I think it was 70 Euros for a week.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi @Kevinstephenson, I'll try to cover a few of your questions.

Tolls: I generally pay about €60 each way but I take the shortcut from Amberieux to Chambery (via Belley) - same journey time but nicer drive, no tolls, less fuel.

Parking: Google "Tignes parking" for prices. They all cost much the same and there is little scope for savings. I have posted lots more detail in the main Tignes - Espace Killy thread, page 1.

Parafour apartments: many and varied, you will have to check each one on your shortlist for decor, suitability, etc.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tolls in france Calais to Tignes return: circa EUR 180
Parking: EUR 93 for 6/7 days: https://en.tignes.net/holidays/car-parks
I used to park my Ranger in the Lac and Golf car parks and they are fine but the turns are tight
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
Parking: Google "Tignes parking" for prices. They all cost much the same and there is little scope for savings
Except if you want to park for free in one of the ski in, ski out spots at Tignes 1800 or Tignes Les Brevieres wink

Easy enough to drop off/pick up luggage at your digs and use one of the above.

Departure/arrival times may mean paying for an overnight stay at either end of your trip, but you can still save a fair few euros by using a free space in between.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@bobski62, I take the shortcut from Amberieux to Chambery (via Belley)

It's a nice drive across there isn't it. I like that bit at the entrance to the tunnel half way up the side of the mountain above the lake at Chambery Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, it's rather lovely @ski3, emerging from Tunnel du Chat, seeing the lake and thinking "wow, I'm finally in the mountains".
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Kevinstephenson, I think the Moose is under the Phoenix block not the Palafour, 2 very different kettles of Poisson. They were built to a posh standard and were finished 4 years ago, so should be good.
I think the rest has been covered.
Welcome to the Tignes brotherhood on snowheads. There's lots of good stuff in the main Tignes thread under snow reports.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Kevinstephenson, Welcome to Snowheads.

Consider getting a tool tag (doofer). Saves a bit of faffing along the way. Some will argue that they're not worth it but each to their own. If you're considering driving down in one hit and possibly rotating drivers, then you don't have to wake your passenger at each toll stop. I've driven a few times on my own and I would normally break the journey with a stopover around Beaune. But these are not normal times.

Accommodation in the Palafour and adjoining buildings ranges from tiny 12mtr studios to multi-room lets. There are also a variety of sizes available in the Bec Rouge complex and they would be ski-in/ski-out. Very central for lifts and pretty much everything else.

I've rented accommodation for the last few years now. Varying from a few days to a five month Season. Airbnb have plenty of listings in Tignes.
I believe Booking.com list a few also. And there are local agencies like:

https://www.tignesimmobilier.com/en/holiday-rentals

https://www.appartatignes.com/en/

These will give you an idea of what's out there and how much you it's going to cost you.

I'll second via michelin as a tool to give a rough idea of timings and costs. If you have any further questions on accom, location etc, drop them on the Tignes thread in the Snow Reports section. They're more likely to be spotted by the regular Tignards contributors.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 19-11-21 11:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bobski62 wrote:
Yes, it's rather lovely @ski3, emerging from Tunnel du Chat, seeing the lake and thinking "wow, I'm finally in the mountains".

I know what you mean, with the lake etc, but I usually think I'm in the mountains a while before that! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ski3 wrote:
@bobski62, I take the shortcut from Amberieux to Chambery (via Belley)

It's a nice drive across there isn't it. I like that bit at the entrance to the tunnel half way up the side of the mountain above the lake at Chambery Very Happy

noted for our drive down thanks
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you are going down from W Yorks why not use Hull /Zeebugge...and go down via Luxembourg ...It is a relatively easy run and only one section is non motorway no tolls or you can use the non toll motorway through france ..it is about 12.5 hours non stop
ski holidays
Unfortunately the Hull - Zeebrugge route was finished last year. I was on the last crossing on 30th Dec. Hull - Rotterdam is still operating. A little further to drive but less tolls.
snow report
@Tigski, the Hull-Zeebrugge crossing was great wasn't it? Thursday evening crossings for me. 8am arrival in Zeebrugge Friday morning. Fed, watered, rested and ready to hit the road. Happy days.

Used the Rotterdam crossing once but found the traffic around Antwerp a bit of a pain. Probably down to a lack of route planning on my part.
snow report
@Kevinstephenson, Buy a Telepeage Tag special offer from Eurotunnel at the moment.
ski holidays
Remember you’ll need winter tyres or snow chains (and should consider both). If you’ll be parking outside consider putting a shovel in the boot- believe me when I say you don’t want to be clearing a week’s worth of snow on departure day with a little British ice scraper and your shoes…
ski holidays
Another thumbs-up for the Amberieu-Chambery route. I haven't been via Macon/Lyon for around 20 years. Only once in circa 35-40 trips has it not worked out, heavy snow in December 2009 (I think) and had to turn round back to the motorway. Took 17 hours from Calais to Les Arcs, rather than usual 10-12. Last couple of years before Covid, have taken to travelling Friday and stopping overnight at the Ibis Budget at Amberieu. Rather basic, but breakfast, then stop at the newish LeClerc at Aime for supermarket shop (prefer it to Bourg) and up to resort mid to late morning for an extra half day on the slopes.
snow conditions
When in March are you going? Back in 2018, I was surprised to see that traffic towards the mountains on the Saturday at the end of French school holidays (would be 5th March in 2022) was still quite busy; we lost 1 hour+ to traffic around Lyon, Bourgoin, and the Chambéry junction.
So the route via Ambérieu-Belley-Chambéry is a very good tip; it should save you about €12 in tolls and some petrol, too, without wasting more than 20 minutes or so vs. the normal route via Lyon in the rare event that there is no traffic.
snow report
How busy does Amberieu-Chambery get when it's really busy?

I'm travelling down on Dec26th and it looks like everywhere south of Dijon is going to be slow. I know the real aggro is after Albertville (tunnel du Saix traffic lights) and that's difficult to avoid, but I am considering various cross country routes for the earlier part which all end up in either Chambery or Albertville.
snow conditions
Yet another thumbs up for the Ambérieu option. I've only done it in spring/summer but having seen some of the traffic jams that can happen between Lyon and Chambéry and v.v., I'm in favour.
ski holidays
@bobski62, @ski3 - “the shortcut from Amberieux to Chambery (via Belley)”
I get it - it’s fantastically scenic but Maps says it adds an hour to the Lyon Chambery leg - it sounds like one of my mum’s shortcuts?
snow conditions
Grinning wrote:
@bobski62, @ski3 - “the shortcut from Amberieux to Chambery (via Belley)”
I get it - it’s fantastically scenic but Maps says it adds an hour to the Lyon Chambery leg - it sounds like one of my mum’s shortcuts?

Google says "Aire de Poulet de Bresse" to "Chambery" is 1h52 and 197km via Lyon, or 2h02 and 152km via the D1504(Belley).

Not sure you'd want to use it if you're starting in Lyon, but if coming south from the Dijon direction it's an option.
ski holidays
Judwin wrote:
if coming south from the Dijon direction it's an option.

That makes perfect sense now, thanks Judwin
ski holidays
Right, the 20 minute time penalty I mentioned applies coming from Paris/Beaune. From Calais / Dijon via A39, it's only 10 minutes. I've never heard of tailbacks along that Ambérieu route (well, at least since the Lyon-Chambery motorway was finally dualled in the early 1990s... My grandparents, who lived near Annecy, told me a few horror stories from the times before that Very Happy ).
ski holidays
Can occasionally get held up for a short while behind a camper van or similar, but generally it's a clear run through. One occasion, only came up behind a couple of cars in the entire 50 mile stretch.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Decision made and booked with thanks to this forum and some info from the Tinges seasonnaires Facebook group that sent me here in the first place.

Early march leave West Yorkshire on the Friday afternoon/evening and stop in the holiday inn at the UK tunnel terminal. 5.20am crossing getting in at 6.55 French time then the suggested 10 hour drive gets us to resort at 5pm.

Looking to do the run back in a one-er but have the option to book a UK stop over on the fly if required.

Accommodation has parking with it. Just need to dig out the red triangle, hi vis, completely pointless spare bulb kit and purchase some snow chains.

Considered the Hull ferry crossing but the party member is really doing anything possible to avoid crowds of people like on the ferry. Yes I know there will be crowds at Tignes and on the lifts but his wife hasn't cottoned on to that.

I'll have a good look at the suggested Lyon avoidance route.

Thanks to one and all and happy boarding/skiing.
latest report
Quote:

Considered the Hull ferry crossing but the party member is really doing anything possible to avoid crowds of people like on the ferry. Yes I know there will be crowds at Tignes and on the lifts but his wife hasn't cottoned on to that.

I have just come back from France and your party member may be reassured that Covid hygiene is being followed much more rigorously in France than the UK. Mask wearing indoors is more or less universal, though you still get some people pretending to wear a mask by leaving their nose exposed. A large proportion of people were also wearing them outside as well. The pass sanitaire was also being checked at shops, cafes and even at small kiosks.

It is hard to check the actual figures but I believe that a larger proportion of the population has been fully vaccinated in France than the UK
latest report
Kevinstephenson wrote:
5.20am crossing getting in at 6.55 French time then the suggested 10 hour drive gets us to resort at 5pm.

in practice it takes close to 12 hours - wee wee stops, refuel, shopping, etc.
ski holidays
It usually takes us 10 hours to drive from Calais to Les Arcs taking it fairly easy, never exceeding the speed limit, stopping every 3 hours to swap drivers and a single refuelling stop for both the car and people. It has been done quicker but I've never got anywhere near the sub 9 hours claimed by some drivers. I suppose 2 hours in the SuperU in Bourg st Maurice will get you to the 12 hour mark
ski holidays
Oleski wrote:
Kevinstephenson wrote:
5.20am crossing getting in at 6.55 French time then the suggested 10 hour drive gets us to resort at 5pm.

in practice it takes close to 12 hours - wee wee stops, refuel, shopping, etc.

I'm certainly looking at closer to 12 hours in reality. The 10 hours is a google maps estimate. Check in to the accommodation is 5pm to 8pm so aiming for the start seems sensible.
latest report
Quote:

The 10 hours is a google maps estimate

If that works like viamichelin it'll be driving time - as they can't compute how many stops you'll make. In practice it varies hugely not just with traffic, but also weather. If the road's wet the speed limit is just under 70 mph, and if there's snow, it's anyone's guess. I've crawled along in one cleared lane, with all HGVs ordered off the motorway before now. Heavy fog once sent us into Dijon to find a hotel for the night - travelling north, we'd not aimed to stop till much further up, possibly driving through to Eurotunnel.
snow conditions
In practice I think we stop for about 15 - 20 minutes in total going from Calais to Les Arcs, but as @pam w, says other factors can really affect the journey time. The Peage stations take 10 seconds to collect a ticket (we try to collect without actually coming to a standstill) and upto a minute to pay. Our record for the journey is 31 hours - we broke down and had to spend the night en route.
ski holidays
Quote:

I think we stop for about 15 - 20 minutes in total going from Calais to Les Arcs

I always stopped for quite a bit more than that, but then I was usually solo driver. I have no idea of my "record" time in either direction - it took the time it took. Driving alone I always stopped every 2 hours to stretch my legs and at least had a coffee. There's a lot of road safety research which shows that concentration falls off after 2 hours. I found listening to audio books invaluable. It made a journey which could be a bit of a chore into a pleasure - I always took some time to choose the right audio books, and to have a selection.

I was fortunate NEVER to have to travel on the busiest days. Never on a Saturday, even in low season.
latest report
There are 3 of us in the car, all drivers so regular swaps will be essential.
snow report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

I have just come back from France and your party member may be reassured that Covid hygiene is being followed much more rigorously in France than the UK. Mask wearing indoors is more or less universal, though you still get some people pretending to wear a mask by leaving their nose exposed. A large proportion of people were also wearing them outside as well. The pass sanitaire was also being checked at shops, cafes and even at small kiosks.

It is hard to check the actual figures but I believe that a larger proportion of the population has been fully vaccinated in France than the UK

Over 80% in uk 25 miliion had 3rd jab
67% in france
Newspapers panic about Europe going into lockdown but France still open
Be busy though with all those changing holidays from Austria to france
snow conditions
Quote:

Over 80% in uk 25 miliion had 3rd jab

These figures are actually quite hard to collect since different counties like to use different baselines but according to https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations?country=GBR 67.67% of the UK population is fully vaccinated. Whereas France has 68.95%. Italy is well in the lead with 72.98 and of the wealthy western nations the USA is at 57.95% a long way behind. Local differences within countries must also be significant since Austria reports that 64.46 of its population is fully vaccinated.

In their respective published data France tends to only mention the % over 12 whereas the UK likes to include partially immunised children.
ski holidays
@Kevinstephenson, "I'll have a good look at the suggested Lyon avoidance route."

As noted already, there's a view of any saving or not here and it's not a game changer unless you get caught in traffic of the other route.

For me on return it's more that it's a nice drive through there with shorter more relaxed driving usually, but probably similar time to autoroute in all. It does give a different drive to the autoroute in that you've still got half of france to drive through once you get near Dijon and the route variation may be a welcome one in contrast to the whole route on major roads.

Suggestion as we do it on return, satnav to "Belly" with non-toll route selected, it will take you onto local road just after Albertville and continue through southern suburbs of Chambery, put you on autoroute through Chambery (it's not tolled) to just north of town, then takes the airport turn off and climbs up the side of the lake to the tunnel through the mountain, arriving to Belly and onward from there toward Dijon.
Plenty of places if you want to stop, plus fuel etc and we ordinarily shop somewhere along between Belly and Dijon to bring some nice French food & drink items back. There's a big Intermarchè next to the route if that interests you. That whole route though usually misses big traffic generally.

Leaving Tarantaise valley if you've not driven it, about 8.30am through Moutiers will get you clear of the gathering que to get all the visitors out on a changeover day with much later giving you substantial waiting if you plan on driving through the day.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy