Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

We made it to the snow - Soldeu, Andorra.

Poster: A snowHead
After many hassles and changes of plan, today we made the 690km drive, in fine sunshine from Benidorm to the Hotel Peretol, just outside Soldeu.
We were last here nine years ago, doing our CSIA, and all that has changed is the beer is 50cents more, and apparently it is now ski-out as well as ski-in, as they have put in a new chair.
There is snow, the freestyle park outside is operating at the moment, and we are looking forward to our first skiing since the day France shut in 2020. snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@RobinS, well done, enjoy the freestyle park wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Chris_n, Don't think we will be doing too much in the park, I am old enough to not just break if I land it wrong, but shatter!
We will ski everything else in the Grandvalira though. Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@RobinS, have a great time, there is due to be some snow overnight and up to 50cm of snow over the next few days!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@RobinS, Good to hear! Enjoy.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@RobinS, have a great time!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RobinS wrote:
@Chris_n, Don't think we will be doing too much in the park, I am old enough to not just break if I land it wrong, but shatter!
I may have been aware of that already snowHead you wouldn't catch me in there for exactly the same reason.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@RobinS, have a great time, and don't forget to post some pics!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well done and good luck. From memory the downside of the area is the food, almost all the mountain restaurants seemed to major on burger type fast food (may all have been part of the same chain), we found just one that actually was enjoyable to eat in.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
j b wrote:
Well done and good luck. From memory the downside of the area is the food, almost all the mountain restaurants seemed to major on burger type fast food (may all have been part of the same chain), we found just one that actually was enjoyable to eat in.

The Grandvalira website gives good descriptions of the various on mountain food options. It took us a while to figure out that you had to go upstairs in some of them for proper food. For e.g. there is a cheap and cheerful burger bar in the downstairs of this building, with much nicer food upstairs:

https://www.grandvalira.com/en/self-service-la-cabana

There's a nice pizza/Italian place on the right as you head down to Grau Roig if I remember rightly. I think it is this one:

https://www.grandvalira.com/en/restaurant-3-estanys

Post skiing, we enjoyed popping to this lovely coffee shop in Soldeu for coffee and cake:

Delbosc Coffee Shop
https://maps.app.goo.gl/Akkt98ztGSx4FgiZA

(Hopefully that link works).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@RobinS, great stuff. Looking forward to some photos Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@j b, yes the food on the mountain is pretty poor. We usually end up in Pas for lunch where the options tend to be a bit better.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have a lovely time @RobinS, the conditions are excellent at the moment!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@RobinS, great and congrats ... and you are not even in Schengen wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@rayscoops, Pretty much irrelevant, as there is no passport control, so as far as our passports are concerned we are still in Schengen counting off our days.
latest report
@RobinS, lots of people stop at the border to get their passport stamped. You have to ask for them to stamp it though. Their stay in Andorra then doesn’t count to their Schengen days.
snow report
@RobinS, should have asked for a stamp
ski holidays
Great stuff RobinS - can't beat a comeback ski trip Very Happy Have a great time.
ski holidays
Enjoy. You ok with mobile phone usage?

Food better upstairs in ET and Soldeu, and I thought Estanys was reasonable. There is also the big viewpoint restaurant up at Cubil.
latest report
I do like lunch at Refugi del Llac Pessons in Grau Roig.
Situated just off the blue run cami de pessons.

It's a great location next to a frozen lake with excellent mountain food and views.
A surprisingly good veggie option too.
Very popular so if planning a visit it is best to book.

On a sunny day it can be difficult to leave and we have often left people to digest, sunbath, or have another bottle. Cool
latest report
Wow @RobinS, you can come again, heavy snow all day... Hope your day has been as good as mine. How long are you here for?
snow report
To be honest, as you can't access Andorra without going to the Schengen Zone, and they have freedom of movement with Schengen Zone neighbours, and don't have proper border controls like Schengen Zone external borders it hadn't occurred to me that it might not be Schengen Zone!

Anyway, after that diversion back to the trip report:
Slight issue this morning when no staff turned up to do breakfast, but us and a few others helped ourselves to what we could find.
We hooked up with another Brit here on his own, as today was not a day for solo skiing.
Terrible visibility, strong winds up high, and snow, initially fine small flakes, but getting heavier and heavier as the day went on. Have now had a foot of powder at valley level, double that up high, except where wind scoured.
Zero vis and fresh snow, on pistes you don't know was hard going, but we got over to Pas de la Casa and back. We did accidentally stray onto one black run, where our companion struggled after straying off the side and sinking without trace in the powder! ( On his small rental skis) We got him out, and all got back in one piece, if a wet, frozen up and knackered!
If the weather clears a bit there is going to be some fantastic skiing snowHead snowHead
latest report
@pieman666, We are only here for 12 skiing days, but plenty enough time for the sun to come out.
snow report
Great to hear. I am heading out to El Tarter next Sunday, can't wait! just need to keep out of covid's way this week!
latest report
@RobinS, today is not looking too good, raining heavily on Soldeu Sad
snow conditions
@pieman666, was raining here earlier. Forecast is still for snow, so maybe it's only at the very bottom it's rain. Hope it's not rain in the trees and a blizzard above!
snow report
Here at the hotel there has been a huge amount of thaw, vehicles that had 18 inches of snow on them at 9pm are now completely clear, and the lovely powder is now soggy Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
It's snowing up higher
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's changing back to snow here now, but this sector is closed at present, along with half of Grandvalira as far as I can see from the website.
snow conditions
I could hear the wind when I was laying in bed last night, and where I live is pretty sheltered. In my short experience here, they tend not to take too many chances with the weather.

Today is just one of those crappy days we have to put up with unfortunately. The forecast is for the freezing level to drop again before the rain stops so it should turn it back to snow down to the valley. Hopefully there’s enough snowfall to cover up all that sogginess.

I’m not going to see any powder anyway. Back at work and won’t get out until the weekend.
snow report
What’s it like out there today? Hopefully the snow that fell later on made up for the damage the rain did.

I ended up with no snow down where I live, just torrential rain all night. Looks like the snow line was somewhere just south of Canillo so around 1500m.

Doesn’t look like there’s much chance of more snow over the next week or so, but temperatures look to be staying reasonably low.
ski holidays
Snow is lovely, soft and copious. Sun is shining what's not to like Very Happy
latest report
@pieman666, errr me being at work! Very Happy

Have a great day. snowHead
ski holidays
Well after dossing yesterday, a huge dinner last night, and a good breakfast we were out in the sunshine today.
Snow cover excellent, pistes either good or excellent. Some fresh on top of the consolidated stuff from before the thaw, and Avi risk quite reasonable. Did miles on piste, learning our way around again, as it's nine years since last visit, and having regained our ski legs had a good play in the off-piste this afternoon. Had one beer stop, but didn't bother with food, as we get plenty of breakfast, and good dinners at the Peretol, and we are too fat anyway! We were very pleased in the off-piste, as we were much better than we thought we would be after a twenty-two month break. I even commented at one point that this is easy, can't remember being this good Smile (It probably was a really easy slope).
Looking forward to another day of the same tomorrow. snowHead
ski holidays
IMG-20220111-120029-126
IMG-20220111-140805-611
As you can see it was a bit nice out there snowHead
latest report
Sounds like an excellent day allround!

Seems there was an avalanche up in Arcalis in the night. Hit one of the restaurants and looks to have completely taken out the kitchen. I was only in there a few days ago!
snow conditions
@hammerite, ahh pesky work does get in the way.

@RobinS, amazing day wasn't it. I was so surprised that the snow was in such good condition after the hammering it had yesterday...
ski holidays
Another fantastic day out there Madeye-Smiley
Weather absolutely perfect, pistes in superb condition, no queues or crowds anywhere. Skied every piste we came across, all white and really nice. Even the "black" runs here are easy in these conditions. Did a bit of off-piste, nice where untracked, but the tracked stuff was pretty crusty and hard going. Didn't bother to eat on the hill again, but did stop for a couple of beers. Prices vary, 6euro in posher places with glasses, but only 4.50 in the Grandvalira owned places where it comes in plastics. (In the hotel it's 3.50). Have been required to show Covid passes almost everywhere - you need these in a format that does not require a connection here, as there is no free data roaming.
There are lots of lower ability skiers here, but so far a remarkable lack of out of control idiots. Actually did comment that standards of skiing are better here than when we last did a season in La Plagne.
snow report
@RobinS, Have you signed up to the free wi-fi which is on your lift pass? Most of the lifts have WiFi at the top or bottom of most large lifts and all is the GV restaurants?
snow report
@pieman666, I have signed in to it, but for some reason JanetS' phone won't bring up the login page. We don't have a problem as we have the French App that doesn't need a connection, but the chap here on his own who we skied with today has the NHS app, and the Spanish one which both need connectivity.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy