Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach in December

Poster: A snowHead
Morning all,

First post, so apologies if I have posted in the wrong section etc.

Thanks to the new UK lockdown my trip to Saalbach in Austria has been PP'd. We are looking to re-arrange for December 2021, has anybody experience of Saalbach during this time? I have read conflicting information on snow conditions etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi @Snowpigeon, as it’s early season it depends on how early the snowfall is which changes year to year. More often than not you should be fine later in December, the earlier the greater the risk.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A bit too early in the season for Saalbach IMO and experiance, although open the likelihood is not fully open, and snow cover may be less than 100% even with the extensive snowmaking.

I'd try somewhere a little higher/snow sure. The Austrian resorts I prefer for early season are Obertauern, Obergurgl, Ischgl. Although the areas are smaller they have a greater % open, are easy to navigate. Val D'isere and Tignes also a pretty good choice if you don't mind going French.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Snowpigeon, Welcome to Snowheads, we normally go to Saalbach around the 10th of December, not had a problem with lack of snow , we have been going since 2016, the resort usually opens up mid November and the snow cannon will start running to ensure there is enough snow to ski on.

There is an annual Saalbach ski thread, this is this years, not much activity https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=153382&start=80
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This is my fourth season in Salzburgerland, Austria, and December skiing has always been possible. Sometimes the lower slopes are manmade snow, but for two out of the four seasons there has been plenty of natural snow in December. There is slightly more chance of cloudy/foggy weather in December so the high ski areas such as Obertauern can be rather bleak with limited visibility, but if the sun comes out, then all good.

Saalbach is a massive ski area with a bit of everything, so a safe bet for any stage of the season assuming you can travel.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Snowpigeon, a few photos, Village on 17 December 2017, Top of the Kohlmais 15 December 2018, 17 December 2019,above Panorama All, if you need accommodation PM me for self catering Very Happy

ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@radar, but how about decembers 2014, 2015, 2016...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wasn't going to bite, but it's a slow day!
20 November 2016 bottom of the Zwolferkogel
@Langerzug, check my first post, I can't oblige all of your requested dates

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all your responses Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Snowpigeon, the local S-H fan club will claim that you can ski there every year from mid December to mid April Madeye-Smiley In reality it varies from year to year, sometimes (as evidenced by the pictures above) there are good conditions from late November other years skiing will mostly be on white ribbons of artificial snow on otherwise green hill sides. Also bear in mind that Christmas and (especially) New Year are busy, if conditions are halfway decent lots of local folk will be out for day trips. S-H does have the advantage of the glacier at Kaprun nearby though glaciers are often not the most pleasant places in mid winter.

Personally if you are looking at pre Christmas then I would head elsewhere (as noted above Ischgl and Obergurgl would be good options). Christmas is always a risk but as long as you realise there might not be much skiing S-H is much the same as many other places. New Year is slightly less risky but busier. Even better wait until January for better snow and less crowds.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Christmas 2018 was a cracker
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Due to different work commitments, my Ski trip for 2021/22 season has got to be pre-2022. We are trying to gain our bearings of where might be the least risky (if that exists) place for around mid-December. Val-d'Isère and Tignes seem to be the front runners at the moment.

Cheers
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Snowpigeon, If you are stuck with pre Christmas then not many places in Austria to suggest. One place does stand out, Ischgl. In the twenty odd years I have been in Munich, Ischgl has reliably opened at the end of November. The runs back to the village are not always open but they are a very small part of the skiing and not that attractive in any case. The skiing is first rate even if I loath the people who own the "village" & lift company and dislike the atmosphere. Val d'isere / Tignes has a reasonable record but they are not the snowiest part of the alps, I have been skiing in Ischgl in December whilst practically all other non glacier areas have been closed. It is not unheard of for the Criterium de la premiere neige (ski race in Val) which takes place in December to be cancelled due to lack of snow (perhaps less so these days with the snow making kit). Given you would be going low season you should be able to leave booking until the last minute to go where the best conditions are.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

A bit too early in the season for Saalbach IMO and experiance, although open the likelihood is not fully open, and snow cover may be less than 100% even with the extensive snowmaking.

I'd try somewhere a little higher/snow sure

Anyone heading up to Saalbach at present, remember your snow chains - you might need them! Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@tatmanstours,
Grrrrrrrr
knew there would be wall to wall snow as soon as my hotel got cancelled!
snow conditions
Mr.Egg wrote:
@tatmanstours,
Grrrrrrrr
knew there would be wall to wall snow as soon as my hotel got cancelled!

just considering cancelling my December trip and I see this Sad

Just hope I can get out to Saalbach on the 1st January Confused
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy