Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

easyJet abandons “ludicrous” policy for carry on luggage

Poster: A snowHead
Perhaps this is good news for skiers flying with easyJet this winter?

easyJet quietly abandons its ludicrous ‘Hands Free’ cabin bag policy.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
On all the easyjet flights I've been on recently, I just walked on and put my bag in the overhead locker regardless, no one even battered and eyelid.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
timlongs wrote:
On all the easyjet flights I've been on recently, I just walked on and put my bag in the overhead locker regardless, no one even battered and eyelid.

Same here, although I don't generally take the wee wee by having a bag that only just fits through the plane door like some people.

Seems to me whoever thought up this rule had never actually flown with easyjet Puzzled which would seem strange, but anything is possible in the topsy turvy world we have now Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I do find all the airline policies confusing, and in particular that they keep changing. Just as I think I`ve got it straight in my head for a particular airline they change it! Mad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This seems a good policy to me, assuming it is implemented and enforced fairly. Those who need or value being able to take a large bag on board will be assured that it will actually make into the aircraft. I have become completely fed up with the unreasonable expectations and ensuing arguments when every passenger trues to take on board a huge bag. It makes the whole boarding process unpleasant and very inefficient. The low cost model gives us (generally) low fares but is completely reliant on quick turnaround of aircraft which by default must mean some compromise on the expectations of passengers.

We always book upfront seats, one of the biggest benefits being access to EasyJet Plus check in (avoiding the queues especially at Geneva on a peak changeover Saturday). We certainly don't need all the overhead locker space, normally only 3-4 rucksacks between our family of six, but I don't like having anything under the seat in front of me so good to know I am guaranteed to get these bags in the lockers. I do use and value the ability to guarantee getting a larger carry-on on board when travelling on business.

It looks to me as if booking an on-board bag will give you speedy boarding. I am concerned if this will also give you access to the EasyJet Plus check-in (I suspect it might as they seem to look for the Speedy Boarding marker on the boarding pass to let you in the queue for that). If so that massively undermines the reason for paying for Upfront seats. And will also negate the value of the benefit anyway as c60% of passengers will be entitled to it. I will try and clarify this with EasyJet. as if that is the case I should be entitled to a refund on my Upfront seats as would not have chosen them in that scenario!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I flew with Jet2 recently and love their policy that you can put your 10kg carry on bag in the hold for free. Most people seem to do this as the overhead lockers were only half full. As a consequence the plane loaded and unloaded very quickly and I was free of lumping a big bag through the airport.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
iirc this was never the policy, it was only not guaranteed that you could get your bag on board, and if you couldn't, it would be put in the hold, with no charge.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
when i booked my LGW/GVA flight about a month ago I could choose the upfront option with cabin bag for £17 extra each way (£34 tot) or just a chosen seat for £6 each way. I only want to take the bag one way but the booking wont let me do that so it was just the seat choice. If I amend my booking I can now still pay the difference, £22 to add the cabin bag which also gives speedy boarding and a seat further up the plane etc. There is also the option now to add cabin bags on the outward and return sectors which in my case is £15 outbound and £12 return, (£34 total including the seat selection) but without speedy etc . (However it would allow me to take the cabin bag outbound only and save myself £8 ).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Too late for me, I've already booked with BA because EasyJet worked out more expensive if you wanted to take baggage on holiday with you. I assume it was about having the cheapest headline rate. As it was I had to upgrade my BA seat too, it was just far cheaper to do so.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I booked with EJ yesterday and never noticed the 'pay for overhead locker sized cabin bag' option (it was all a bit rushed, with seat prices going up and passwords needing renewing). So I booked the upfront for 3pax, each way.
Question (out of prurient interest now) to those who understand the new option: Does the 'pay for overhead locker sized cabin bag' option mean you can take just one bag (albeit bigger) or does it (like the forward seats) mean you can take two cabin bags (one overhead sized, and one under seat sized)?
Thx
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@midgetbiker, Current EJ baggage page says this

"..Everyone can bring one small cabin bag per person on board for free.
It can be a maximum size of 45 x 36 x 20 cm (including any handles or wheels) and needs to fit under the seat in front of you. That should be enough to bring all the essentials for your journey or for a short trip. There’s no weight limit, but we do ask that you’re able to lift and carry your bag yourself.
If you’d also like to bring a large cabin bag on board (max. 56 x 45 x 25 cm, including any handles or wheels), you have the option to:

select an Up Front or Extra Legroom seat or
NEW: book a large cabin bag for your flight on our app

If you’re an easyJet Plus cardholder or customer who has booked a FLEXI fare, you can also bring a large cabin bag on board (in addition to your small cabin bag) as part of your membership or fare benefits. See below for full details.

Please note that the maximum number of cabin bags available per person is two; one small cabin bag for all customers and one large cabin bag for customers where it’s included with their seat, fare or membership benefits or where they have paid to add one to their booking...."

From the above - one free and one paid for bag is my reading..
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@albob, yep agreed, when did that option arrive I wonder, was it even there when I booked yesterday.

The annoying bit is that the upfront seats were pretty full on our return so we ended up split across an aisle. Adding a large cabin bag and sitting in regular seating would have allowed us to have our own row of three. Ah well, first world problems.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Right, the option wasn't there, because.............

I was on a laptop, not my phone.

The add a large cabin bag option only shows in the app.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@midgetbiker, @midgetbiker, If you read the announcement about being able to book a carry-on bag, you will see that the option is ONLY available via the app. You do not seem to be able to book it online yet, which seems a bit of a rip-off as quite a few people will probably book up-front seats that they don't really need.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've just looked online and nothing seems to have changed vis a vis the bag systems
snow report
@Dr John, See the post directly above yours!
ski holidays
zikomo wrote:
@midgetbiker, @midgetbiker, If you read the announcement about being able to book a carry-on bag, you will see that the option is ONLY available via the app. You do not seem to be able to book it online yet, which seems a bit of a rip-off as quite a few people will probably book up-front seats that they don't really need.

Yeah, I noticed that even as you were typing your response, hence both our posts appearing within the same minute.

Annoying, but tbh just pleased to be planning a season's skiing again.
latest report
I've given up booking with Easyjet and gone back to BA. Their whole baggage and extras policy is way too complicated and confusing... and then it changes! It seems designed to deliberately catch people out, prob so they can charge them an excess at the airport. Surely, airlines should be trying to make booking as simple and straightforward as possible, to encourage folk to fly with them, rather than deliberately making it awkward, and putting customers off... (And don't call me surely Smile )
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Perhaps this is good news for skiers flying with easyJet this winter?

easyJet quietly abandons its ludicrous ‘Hands Free’ cabin bag policy.

Erm Thanks.
Logged in to check my allowance & saw my flight has been cancelled!
No email from EJ yet about it, so I guess I have beat the rush & now flying BA
ski holidays
I’ve flown to and from GVA several times this summer and on each occasion they had someone combing the non-speedy boarding queue with a card machine charging anyone who had a locker bag. They’ll presumably still do this as this includes speedy boarding.

I actually quite like the policy as we travel with hand luggage only and it’s frustrating to have to battle your way to the middle of the aircraft to find somewhere to put your bag when you’re sat at the front. It’ll be interesting to see how many people actually pay the (rumoured) £15 extra - in my experience the article is wrong as it suggests £30 for an up-front seat - that may be correct for extra legroom, front-row seats but rows 2-6 seem to be around £15 a go.

We actually pay the £200 a year for EJ Plus as we fly with them 8-10x a year. That gets any seat on the plane, fast-track security (including at GVA) and a special bag drop (if we ever have luggage). I reckon it’s worth about £50 each return flight.
snow report
@andy from embsay,

I think the thing that pisses people off most about the carry on baggage is the consistency. I have seen people with luggage that is clearly a bigger than those getting checked.
I used to use the Three check carry on free & I always ask if they are checking carry on for free if I got checked luggage.

I dont get why airlines dont get together & standardise the bin sizes. I have various size bags to fit within each policy.
snow conditions
@Mr.Egg, having bought 3 bags* that are exactly the max size for EJ and BA (I think Jet2 might be different) I am amazed by how enormous they are - I was followed by a bloke onto the plane who kept eyeing up my bag as I’m sure he thought I’d get pulled over, but I’ve checked it in the gauge and it definitely passes. I actually think it’d be quite hard to get a bag bigger than that into the overhead bins.

* About fifteen quid from Amazon.
latest report
andy from embsay wrote:
@Mr.Egg, having bought 3 bags* that are exactly the max size for EJ and BA (I think Jet2 might be different) I am amazed by how enormous they are - I was followed by a bloke onto the plane who kept eyeing up my bag as I’m sure he thought I’d get pulled over, but I’ve checked it in the gauge and it definitely passes. I actually think it’d be quite hard to get a bag bigger than that into the overhead bins.

* About fifteen quid from Amazon.

We bough one of the 'exact size' bags, and I too was surprised at how big it looks. Got challenged by the EJ desk and told to pay , a few years back, but when I smugly dropped it into the size checker (admittedly with about 3mm clearance ) her eyes nearly popped out of her head.
latest report
@andy from embsay,

Yes, I got a crumpler, so can cram in loads. I thought I would get pulled 1st time I used.
To big for RyanAir though!
snow conditions
I've reluctantly booked a flight with EasyJet this year, having wanted to go by train (I am doing one trip by train), and have paid for upfront seats specifically so I can take 5 ludicrously large cases into the cabin, which will include most of our clobber and 2 sets of boots. The only thing going in the hold is are my wife's skis.
snow report
Quote:

I dont get why airlines dont get together & standardise the bin sizes. I have various size bags to fit within each policy.

It's the aircraft that determines the bag size. IIRC he Fly turbopros had smaller overhead lockers than the Easyjet 320s
snow conditions
Just looked was £12.49 to add a cabin bag (through app)
snow conditions
Timmycb5 wrote:
I've reluctantly booked a flight with EasyJet this year, having wanted to go by train (I am doing one trip by train), and have paid for upfront seats specifically so I can take 5 ludicrously large cases into the cabin, which will include most of our clobber and 2 sets of boots. The only thing going in the hold is are my wife's skis.

why not just book an extra seat & take the skis on board as well rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr.Egg wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:

Because that’s more expensive than checking them in.

I don’t get why people whinge when someone pays extra to use a service and then has the audacity to actually use the service they have paid for.
latest report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

It's the aircraft that determines the bag size. IIRC he Fly turbopros had smaller overhead lockers than the Easyjet 320s

I guess you mean flybe Laughing Yes, flew to Lyon a few times with them and lockers were very small.

Thread drift but I believe there is an attempt to restart the airline ?
ski holidays
I was just going to buy a bigger hold bag to fit all my excess in. The cabin baggage rules are a bit crazy as no one is going to stand next to you with a ruler on your way through. I have occasionally squeezed a slightly larger cabin bag on, as squishy ones can expand alarmingly despite being bought for the exact purpose!
snow conditions
Timmycb5 wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:

Because that’s more expensive than checking them in.

I don’t get why people whinge when someone pays extra to use a service and then has the audacity to actually use the service they have paid for.

I dont see the point in people checking in luggage & then taking as much carry on & they can carry.
Just check it. You have to wait for your skis anyway... which get unloaded last.
snow report
@Mr.Egg, I always check in bags on the way back. However, on the way out I check my skis in but take my boots on board in a bag with sallopettes, and one base layer plus a couple of days t-shirts/pants/socks.

If they lose bags, I can rent skis and have enough clothes to see me through until they deliver the lost bag.
snow report
Sad to see hands-free go. I'll now have to buy hold-luggage to bring back take-away curry and Radox Evil or Very Mad Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@shep, For take away curry see
Latin inspired on YouTube.
snow conditions
Quote:
regardless, no one even battered and eyelid
In that case maybe they batted an eyelid Puzzled
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, battered eyelids are regarded as a delicacies in some quarters
ski holidays
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
@Mr.Egg, I always check in bags on the way back. However, on the way out I check my skis in but take my boots on board in a bag with sallopettes, and one base layer plus a couple of days t-shirts/pants/socks.

If they lose bags, I can rent skis and have enough clothes to see me through until they deliver the lost bag.

how many times have you been unfortunate enough to have your bag lost?
latest report
johnE wrote:
@mountainaddict, battered eyelids are regarded as a delicacies in some quarters

what about the other 2 parts that make up a bag of scratchings?
Actually I account for one as being an alternative to calamari Toofy Grin Shocked
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:
how many times have you been unfortunate enough to have your bag lost?
For me, twice. Plus another three occasions for people who have been in the group I have been travelling with.

I carry my boots in hand luggage as I have odd shaped feet and having to ski in rentals is a game-changer. I carry my laptop in my hand luggage as it’s relatively fragile. Having either of these items going missing for even a few days when I’m teaching in the Alps would cause very significant disruption. Fortunately the risk of this can be very easily avoided by carry on luggage.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy