Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Family Christmas 2024

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there
I’m looking for advice for where to take family for Xmas week . We have just been to Flaine for first time so kids are on in greens at mo (aged 14-12-7) I’m able to cope with blues and some reds .
I’ve found decent flights to Munich (then car hire to Austria ) or potentially drive to France . We are doing this on a budget )self catered ) so would need somewhere that isn’t crazy expensive (I’ve just come back from courchelvelle ! That hurt the wallet ) and I loved Zell am see just not sure if that’s right for kids as I went alone . We have found a lots of options for 5 days but I’m getting very lost and would like some recommendations please . ( some say snow sure then some say not ! Some say for beginners then other reports say not !) ideally not too long a transfer from either Munich or Geneva (although much more expensive flights at the mo )
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

We have found a lots of options for 5 days

Welcome to Snowheads, @physiobean. You're only going for five days? ,
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah it’s enough for us and reasonable affordable
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@physiobean, i find very little differencen in costs from 5 to 7 days. Aside from that

Recommend booking through Sunweb once they release next season.

We stayed in Saalbach for week before Christmas. Flew to Munich. Not beginners, so didn't investigate its suitability for that, however certainly snow sure reputation.

Also consider Mayrhofen, nice and high for the skiing. Mayrhofen was where I learnt and soon to be niece and nephew had second week on snow there and actual niece and nephew had 3rd week on snow there
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@physiobean, when you say you have "options for 5 days" do you mean on something like AirBnB? Those options sometimes disappear if you actually try to book for non-standard times, as owners of accommodation often prefer to rent for a week. Also, ski school for the kids tends to run on standard weeks.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@physiobean, welcome to sH’s snowHead

Mayrhofen isn’t a bad shout and the Ahorn area is well suited to beginner+ skiers though the piste back to resort is a long (not overly difficult) red. Downloading is possible. There are some nice options on the Penkenbahn side but getting full use of your ski pass and making the most of the whole area would be a step up, in my view.

Certainly the town will offer that traditional Austrian “Christmas” feeling. Transfer via hire car about 2.5 hours.

Saalbach Hinterglemm (c3 hrs) has loads to offer in the way of easy access beginner/progressor skiing. I’d probably suggest staying in Hinterglemm. However, you’d again be looking at shelling out for a large ski area ski pass which you may not get the full benefit of.

Radstadt (ski Amade) is about 3hrs away and a much smaller area and possibly ideal for your group. Zauchensee is also in that area - a bit higher and generally a good snow record with some fabulous skiing. The later is more purpose built and may not have quite the Christmas charm but it’s great skiing!

I’m sure others will be along with alternatives.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you it’s not been a problem for me. Just got back from Flaine doing this and we have private lessons so not issue there
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can you recommend any French resorts we can drive
To from Calais 7-8 hrs that are snow sure for December
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
physiobean wrote:
Can you recommend any French resorts we can drive
To from Calais 7-8 hrs that are snow sure for December

No, because the Alpine resorts are 10 hours from Calais - when the road conditions are good & the French are not blocking them.
Have you looked at Andorra?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It’s says La plagne for example is 8 hrs ?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Asking for a lot, snow sure but green runs, december, drivable in 8 hours. Val thorens is probably closest to all of that but more like 9-10 hours travelling between 6pm and 8am. Im driving to mottaret in 6 weeks, ill let you know how long that takes. Given what the last 2 years have been like you would be safer booking a short notice trip at Easter.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

It’s says La plagne for example is 8 hrs ?

Yes, it probably is if you drive non-stop at an average speed of 72 mph (which will be breaking the speed limit even on the motorway if it's raining) and don't stop to fill the tank or empty your bladder.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy