Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Megeve Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All, thinking of going to Mont Blanc this year - 6 of us. Have never done the Megeve side, so that is the Plan. Megéve accommodation is sorted and as it stands, half of us will drive down (Eurotunnel), the rest will fly.

Any preference on airport? at the moment those flying are thinking either Geneva or Lyon, depending on which has the cheapest flights/best flight times. Any gotchas flying into either airport? I did go to Tignes via Geneva several years ago, but it was a coach transfer, at night and frankly I slept through most of it and woke up at the hotel (which at the time I took as a result!)

We are thinking of early March - slightly concerned that Megéve is a little low in altitude - what is the snow coverage like at the beginning of March? Especially down to La Princesse?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It would be best to avoid the first week of March - French school holidays. The second week would be ideal. Snow should be OK but the usual caveats apply and it wouldn't be the right destination for you if downloading in the Princesse gondola rather than skiing down would be a disaster. Geneva airport is closer, and there are busses to Megeve. Though it's a very easy drive, if you have some parking available.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If flying into Geneva, hire car from Swiss side
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@YetiManMark, definitely Geneva airport. Much closer and better connected to Megeve than Lyon is.
Certainly not essential, but I found having a car in Megeve handy. For example, to drive up to Les Contamines for a day.
As above, 2nd week of March quieter than 1st week.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In March almost anywhere you have to be prepared for the risk of snow turning to slush in the afternoon. But you should be fine skiing to Princesse mid-station possibly with a sticky last 100m. Of course it could be super, but there is no way of knowing at this range.

Flying via Geneva best, easy self-drive or there are buses (BlaBlaBus) and minibus transport (Alpybus) if anyone is arriving separately.

Fingers crossed for you!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Princesse. You can ski to mid station and downlad. Thats what we had to do most of this season. But only needs a few inches of snow to open as its all grass underneath.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You can never tell with snow coverage. I've been to Megeve Feb half term and end March/beginning April in the same year and had much better snow on the second trip than the first.
I've been 2nd/3rd week of March for the past 5 or 6 years, and I think I might have skied to the bottom of Princesse once? It was nothing to write home about, downloading is probably preferable! But we've always been able to get to the mid station.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks, the reason for the question about Princesse is we are looking at some chalets which are literally on the green run down, very close to the bottom - so thinking it would be nice to ski out the door and down to the gondola on the way up, and then ski straight to the chalet on the way down. Doesn't matter if it is a little bit slushy, as that bit is just transportation - but not the end of the world if not possible as it looks easily walkable to the gondola in boots. Looking at the dates they have available it would be w/c 8th March, or mid Jan (they only came back with the Jan dates after I posted this thread). We don't have any kids in the group this year so can be flexible on dates. I'm guessing mid Jan should be fine/preferable (usual caveats apply). Waiting for confirmation on their availability.
Yes the chalets have parking and we would have my 4x4 and a hire car.

Half tempted to do a day in Courmayeur just because I want to drive through the Mont Blanc tunnel (which I am sure would be far far duller than it sounds). Must look into Contamines though as I have heard a few people mention that now.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I want to drive through the Mont Blanc tunnel (which I am sure would be far far duller than it sounds).

Yes, it's dull, slow and very expensive. Les Contamines well worth a visit though.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
YetiManMark wrote:
Thanks, the reason for the question about Princesse is we are looking at some chalets which are literally on the green run down, very close to the bottom - so thinking it would be nice to ski out the door and down to the gondola on the way up, and then ski straight to the chalet on the way down. Doesn't matter if it is a little bit slushy, as that bit is just transportation - but not the end of the world if not possible as it looks easily walkable to the gondola in boots. Looking at the dates they have available it would be w/c 8th March, or mid Jan (they only came back with the Jan dates after I posted this thread). We don't have any kids in the group this year so can be flexible on dates. I'm guessing mid Jan should be fine/preferable (usual caveats apply). Waiting for confirmation on their availability.
Yes the chalets have parking and we would have my 4x4 and a hire car.

Half tempted to do a day in Courmayeur just because I want to drive through the Mont Blanc tunnel (which I am sure would be far far duller than it sounds). Must look into Contamines though as I have heard a few people mention that now.

Courmayeur will be am hour and a bit away, the tunnel description is apt, but there is a certain novelty to it (and I've driven it over 150 times).
Contamines is 45 min (30 if you realy push). Best get there early as the base lifts suffer from queing, but once you are up the hill everyone dissapears. From 2 of the top lifts you can look over into Megeve so that can be quite special as you are based there.
I'd go with Jan over March. Snow can be thin, but anything white is skiable, while March with daytime temps being higher you need a bit more snow to make things work.....but you do have a lot more terrace time
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@YetiManMark, the bottom of princess being closed & being able to ski to those chalets are 2 different things
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@YetiManMark, Lads weekend was in Megeve in January. Had a good apartment slopeside near the Rochebrune gondola (about 3 mins walk down the side of the piste). Rochebrune had good snow cover right to the gondola station but some of the pistes at the other end of town were patchy in cover.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The pistes on the "sunny side" of the valley are not super reliable for snow cover.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@YetiManMark, As regards the village itself; it is fairly quiet. Some nice bars and restaurants and depending on where you go it can be pricey for a beer and a meal. Bar Tabac St. Paul was the best price for a beer that we found.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@YetiManMark,

If you do go through the tunnel to Courmayer then you can get up onto the Courmayer Ski slopes without driving into the Courmayer village.
Just as you come throught the tunnel there is a cable car (Val Veny I think) with parking that gets you up onto the Courmayer slopes without the Kerfuffle of trying to find parking in Courmayer town.
ski holidays
Quote:

As regards the village itself; it is fairly quiet.

But if you want to buy an extraordinarily expensive pair of trousers you'll be spoilt for choice....
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

But if you want to buy an extraordinarily expensive pair of trousers you'll be spoilt for choice....

Oh aye Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I have seen this mentioned in a few places, also expensive underwear (?) - fortunately we are planning to go there to ski, not to buy new cegs Happy

Although one of the guys is talking about buying new skis and a jacket - may need to stop elsewhere en route!
snow report
@YetiManMark, If you're driving, there's a Decathlon and Au Vieux Campeur just down the road - you'll be able to buy just about any ski and outdoor gear imaginable there.
snow report
Quote:

Although one of the guys is talking about buying new skis and a jacket - may need to stop elsewhere en route!

Definitely! Try Au Vieux Campeur in Sallanches, or there used to be a Decathlon between Sallanches and Saint Gervais
snow conditions
It's decathlons global HQ & design centre, great place for quality low price ski gear
latest report
Jonny996 wrote:
It's decathlons global HQ & design centre, great place for quality low price ski gear

Thanks, that's good to know. I was actually thinking of buying some new skis myself (My '06 Rossignol RPM's are getting on a bit now and in any case I have left them in the apartment in Bulgaria). I was thinking of getting some from my local Decathlon - so presumably I would be better off waiting and getting some from this place for a better price/bigger range?

Is it this one? https://goo.gl/maps/hQFom77myhtMXGtX9

And this one? https://goo.gl/maps/bpSQqCUndy5FSE1c8
snow conditions
Yes that’s them. For the decathlon, you can order online before you go & pick up when there , making sure in stock
latest report
There are two decathlon nearby, one in cluses and one in passy literally a minute off the stv Gervais exit, it's a horrible place, last year we went there five for six times and spent money each time Very Happy Very Happy .
The food in their little cafe is very good too
ski holidays
Jonny996 wrote:

Interesting. My wife had a private lesson in February, and her instructor turned out to be a lady moonlighting at weekends from her day job. She was a former World Championship racer who said she was now the "test pilot" in a team developing new skis. I wonder if that was where.

(Though I dont know where the other French ski brands are based, possibly they are all around there).
snow report
I think Dynastar is.
ski holidays
Thanks @pam w, interesting.

Google seems to suggest Dynastar still manufactures in Sallanches and has its R&D in Chamonix. But it is part of the Rossignol group based elsewhere so one wonders how much development is shared (and how much manufacturing overseas).

And as a small addition to my French vocabulary, I discovered "rossignol" means nightingale. Another little piece of gratitude to Snowheads.
ski holidays
@j b, Salomon are in Annecy as well as a few small manufacturers like Dynamic and Dénériaz.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If I remember correctly, I think the video reviews on the decathlon site are filmed at the EMB.
Also I hope the irony of discussing Decathlon On a Megève thread isn’t lost on anyone
ski holidays
Every Little Helps.
snow conditions
Just resurrecting this thread....

With Covid not (so much of) an issue this time, we are now back to planning our trip to Megeve - well, actually St Gervais, We have booked a couple of AirBnB's in Bettex.

14 people in total.
12 of us driving down in convoy (3 cars) and two flying and hiring a car in Geneva.

Anyone have any thoughts on driving/any Gotchas?

We know about the new rules on winter tyres/Chains. I have winter tyres (and chains) the other 2 cars have chains. We have all got the CritAir certificates. We also have the new UK stickers, rather than the GB ones, and know about the bulb kit & triangle for each car and HiVis for each person.

Is there anything specific on things like motorway tolls? Can we pay these on a credit card/with cash? Been a few years since last driving in France when you could, but knowing places like the dartford tunnel in UK and some of the toll roads we went through in Italy are on-line/phone only, was wondering if any of the French toll roads are moving this way?
ski holidays
Geneva car rental prices are extremely inflated this year - I would make sure they check the price as you may well be in for a surprise
snow conditions
barracuda wrote:
Geneva car rental prices are extremely inflated this year - I would make sure they check the price as you may well be in for a surprise

Thanks, will warn the one hiring the car.
ski holidays
YetiManMark wrote:

We know about the new rules on winter tyres/Chains. I have winter tyres (and chains) the other 2 cars have chains. We have all got the CritAir certificates. We also have the new UK stickers, rather than the GB ones, and know about the bulb kit & triangle for each car and HiVis for each person.

+ breathalyser x 2 for each car
snow conditions
DCG wrote:
YetiManMark wrote:

Ah yes, forgot about that!
snow report
@YetiManMark, your other question - all the toll booths take cards, just make sure you use whichever has least foreign exchange loading. They usually need pushing into a slot rather than waving in front of a symbol, but don't require entering a PIN if under the contactless limit (which it always will be on the standard routes from the UK).
snow conditions
DCG wrote:

I thought that requirement had been done away with (but really wouldn't like to put money on it) Puzzled
ski holidays
j b wrote:
@YetiManMark, your other question - all the toll booths take cards, just make sure you use whichever has least foreign exchange loading. They usually need pushing into a slot rather than waving in front of a symbol, but don't require entering a PIN if under the contactless limit (which it always will be on the standard routes from the UK).

Thanks, yes - most of us have Halifax Clarity cards for that very reason (no fees and excellent exchange rates) - As I use mine only when abroad, it normally has zero balance at the start of the holiday, so I tend to put a few hundred pounds on it before I go, and then use it to withdraw cash at an ATM with no fees Happy
latest report
johnnyboy wrote:
DCG wrote:

I thought that requirement had been done away with (but really wouldn't like to put money on it) Puzzled

Just ordered 6 for a fiver on eBay Happy not worth the risk at that price!
snow conditions
Make sure your hi-vis are in the car not the boot. Breathalyser requirement isn't enforced. Carry all car docs' and copies (v5/MOT/insurance) and have breakdown cover.
Traveling in convoy isn't as easy as it sounds. Having pre-arranged stops in case you get separated helps and pin drop on WhatsApp is useful as well. Toll tag are great but not worth it unless all 3 cars have them. Toll booths are the easiest place to get split up.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy