Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What do retired "ski Gods" do?

Poster: A snowHead
I chanced upon this article earlier......I had a week of intensive instruction with John Angella in Serre Chevalier through EurekaSki back in March 04.

John was (for me) a brilliant instructor/coach/teacher. Whilst I already had a passion for skiing (badly), John patiently and subtly deconstructed everything, working on drills that I continue to use to iron out bad habits, and then reconstructing the components. The net effect was a leap on from the plateau I was floundering on and a platform to improve and enhance my enjoyment 10-fold.

A real gent, fascinating to talk to, and easy to learn from. There are only 2 people I thank for skiing - my brother-in-law (now ex) for persuading me to go and John for helping me get as much as I do from skiing. He may not be a skiing God in the mould of Killy, Maier or Miller et al, but to me, he is.

Great to see that he's still pushing it!

So, do you have any skiing Gods, or anyone you acknowledge as key in your skiing enjoyment?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for asking.....

Well since retiring, on the playground is where I spend most of my days, chillin' out, maxing, relaxing all cool, maybe shooting some b-ball outside of school etc etc

Although I suspect in the very near future, I will be spending time working on a new album with Jonathan King and Gary Gliter.....
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chasseur wrote:
So, do you have any skiing Gods, or anyone you acknowledge as key in your skiing enjoyment?

Yup, Dave Renouf. Did the same for me, started the process of taking my skiing apart and then putting it back together. Phil Smith has been very influential in my technical understanding, and Hugh Monney has been very influential in developing my 'feel' for skiing. In terms of what these ski gods are doing now, Dave works for BASI HQ in Scotland, Phil runs Snoworks ski school and Hugh runs the BASS ski school network. Top guys, all of them.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Voice of Reason wrote:
Thanks for asking.....

Well since retiring, on the playground is where I spend most of my days, chillin' out, maxing, relaxing all cool, maybe shooting some b-ball outside of school etc etc

Although I suspect in the very near future, I will be spending time working on a new bum with Jonathan King and Gary Gliter.....

Fixed that for you wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Last I heard Parlor is somewhere in Canada....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
... selling mansions to West Van cougars
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Last I heard Parlor is somewhere in Canada....

Yeah, retired to British Columbia. I couldn't handle full time retirement so I've started selling houses part time, which is great.

I still get plenty of days in each winter but I have allowed my other passion - sailing - take up more and more of my time.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
Dave Renouf.

One of mine too - we used to play beach volleyball together in a local field in about '92
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dave Renouf is my hero too..... what a guy! what a teacher! The other is Barry Wackwitz of the NZSIA - soooooooooooooo positive.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
but not sure what he is doing now........ Family Man - and Nick Thorpe (Flaine) is running a fantastic hotel in Coventry.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
yeah well I don't think so much of what your ski gods do, but where is my Feckin' Hammer?

THOR
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chasseur, Spend the day perusing TGR, Snowheads,...........
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well I met Alain Baxter last week in CEM's shop.
Now he is a proper ski god.

And what was he doing you ask...

Fixing his own boots...he is a God with a human touch, and a very nice bloke to chat to.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
is running a fantastic hotel in Coventry

I'm calling shenanigans. No such place exists. Nothing in Coventry is fantastic.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chasseur wrote:
What do retired "ski Gods" do?

Why not ask him yourself? (send David Goldsmith a PM)
ski holidays
DB, Laughing

Jef Wickes? Did he go back to burger flipping?
latest report
Jef is currently on holiday with Bin Laden. Wink
ski holidays
@Cacciatore, This was a long time ago but I found your comment as I was trying to discover what John Angella is doing now. He was my mentor for two weeks at Glenmore Lodge leading to BASI instructor qualification in April 1974. Great to her from you that he was still instructing 30 years later in 2004. He also gave my wife her first lessons perhaps as far back as 1968 - not sure - was way before we met in '74. We each remember his wry comment which followed any blunder or fall - "Style and grace eh? Style and grace!" A lovely man. Cheers. Martin
snow report
@MartinB, welcome to snowHeads snowHead . And you’re welcome!

Wow, 1968! I’ve a feeling John is still with us and still skiing!
ski holidays
Yann Westercamp in Flaine. Skiing god, and one of the nicest blokes you could meet!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy