Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz 2nd April 2022 for a week

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks,

I’m about to firm up a deal to head to avoriaz with my husband and 3.5 year old girl on 2nd April for a week. It’s our first ski trip together. Can’t go any earlier because I’m a teacher and finish for the hols on the 1st.

I’m planning on booking her into the ESF ski school - even if snow isn’t great, do they use artificial snow to make sure the jardin d’enfants has ample coverage for ski lessons and snow activities?

Husband and I plan on getting the 6 day pds pass, although we only plan on skiing in morning while our girl is with ESF. Is anyone in Avoriaz just now/familiar enough with it at this time of year that can advise if a couple of beginners can get 6 mornings skiing in 3 weeks time?

Reason I ask is Val T was on the table and was original preference due to higher elevation and therefore possibly better conditions. But we’re all beginners (husband and I are just starting to parallel turn after a couple os lessons and recreational sessions on dry slopes/indoor ski slopes here in Scotland), and Avoriaz has good activities to keep us entertained in afternoon like Aquariaz etc, so thought we’d take a punt on Avoriaz for a nice wee family holiday. Is that reasonable or should we go to Val T?

Also, are the cheapest set of hire skis good enough for a couple of beginners or will going up a level make it easier for us? Very Happy Very Happy

Lastly, the package deal we have means travelling to Newcastle instead of flying from Glasgow which is our local airport. I can build my own trip flying from Glasgow with similar prices on everything apart from the transfer. All I managed to find was a private transfer at £450 return - Geneva to Avoriaz. We don’t want to get local bus service to morzine as travelling with a wee one so looking for convenience, but would def be up for a cheaper shared service from the airport if we could get one. Glasgow flight arrives in Geneva at 1240pm on Sat 2nd April and departs Geneva at 1:40pm on Sat 9th April. Anyone know of a reliable company that has availability?

Thanks for reading this mammoth post (and if I put in wrong forum?!) - as you might be able to tell this is my first rodeo so need all the help I can get Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome!
I don’t know what you’ve looked at in term of deals and I know they can be counter intuitive, but it seems a real waste to buy PDS passes for a massive area for two beginners who will only ski half days.
At 3.5 yo your daughter will have less lessons and more snow park I expect.
If you got a great deal then great Eh oh! but I think there might be something better out there. There are recommendations here for smaller resorts which will still have good parks for children and lessons for adults.

Just a thought. But hope you have a great time!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agree with @Orange200, it’s great you got some indoor lessons to get started but you will certainly need some adult lessons on the mountain. Solo touring round the PDS will likely not be possible just yet. The main linking blue run back from Châtel is very busy and often not beginner friendly (Grand Plan) so I would not tackle it in particular without an instructor. I also agree not to expect much at 3.5 except to hope she has a fab time as you all do.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks folks! Agree on not needing full pass. Is there an option to buy half day passes for pds?

We were planning on getting a private lesson on first day for us adults and go from there. If we do a full ski school we won’t get a chance to go out ourselves as need to collect daughter at lunch. Or do you think we really should just do the week’s ski school?

@orange200 any suggestion of smaller resorts that would suit us better? Would prefer direct flights and not huge transfers, hence avoriaz appeal.

Not sure the deal is great, but it is several hundred pounds cheaper than what I could price myself.

Thanks again folks!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Avoriaz will be a good option. Much of your enjoyment will be a reflection of how much your daughter enjoys the skiing / snow. There is a water park there to help entertain her too. Quick n easy transfer clearly helps.

You’ll need to plan any lessons you have don’t clash with your daughters lesson / child care.

With regards to lift pass… ensure your instructor is aware of the area your pass covers. Often it will be cheaper ( definitely easier ) to just have a full area pass - even though it’s seems a huge waste. You’ll need to do various pricing options online to see what’s best.

I took my son for his first ski trip to Avoriaz nearly 15 yrs ago. He was 6. He loved it.

Have fun and don’t push yourself or daughter too much! It’s a holiday.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
First off - the snow.
Excepting a freakish heat wave (which could hit Val T as well/as hard) you should be absolutely fine for snow in/around Avoriaz at the start of April. I mean the resort's scheduled to be open till the end of April! Your little one will be right in the centre of Avoriaz and so will be fine.

What you are likely to find is the pistes being quite crusty first thing and going slushy after 3pm, especially lower down (bottom of Ardent and Prodains/top of Super-Morzine gondolas). Shouldn't be an issue for you with your planned skiing times though.

Second - lift passes.
To be honest unless there's almost zero price difference I wouldn't bother with the full PdS pass for you/your partner and just get the Avoriaz area one. If you're only just going parallel and only skiing a couple of hours AM that will give you more than enough mountain/altitude to keep you entertained.

Third - skis.
Personally I'd stick with the cheapest kit this trip/until you're comfortably parallel and spend the money on some shared private lessons for you/your partner.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mclennr, given current weather forecast I’d be inclined to be a little higher - Avoriaz would defo be on my list (obvs e.g. Morzine works for accom but I expect runs at village level even now getting a bit ??? Esp. afternoons,).

Avoriaz also has the aquapark.

Looking at lift pass prices there are 5 hour passes for both Avoriaz and PdS but you save 0 or not very much vs 6-day PdS and you have to reload every day I expect.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mclennr, check with the ski school - ESF typically start from age 4 for Piou Piou (their lowest level, which as @Orange200 says is likely to be mostly play with some skiing). I recall friends having this problem, and having to book a private lesson for their 3.5 year old who was desperate to ski like his older sister. Give them a call - they might be relaxed about the age limits, but best to check in advance.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

If we do a full ski school we won’t get a chance to go out ourselves as need to collect daughter at lunch. Or do you think we really should just do the week’s ski school?

To be honest, unless you are very fast learners, you won't be able to do much cruising around on your own after one private lesson - ski school all week would be better, in my view - but make sure that your, and your daughter's, sessions start and finish in the same place. They'll shovel the snow around to make sure the kids have something to slide around on.

Snow conditions can be quite tricky late in the season, and local knowledge of slope aspect etc is invaluable - and an instructor will have this. Snow conditions will change very rapidly according to time and access. You will have fun in a group, whereas solo skiing when you don't know the place, and are still pretty wobbly, can be dispiriting. Getting up the top of a lift and not knowing which way to turn - especially if visibility is bad.

I think you'd be wise to stick with your package, on your first trip. The cheapest skis will be fine (be sure to tell the shop that you are beginners - skis no more than chin height and easy turners) and just get the Avoriaz pass. A real mountain presents a whole range of challenges you won't have encountered yet!

Some places offer "points passes" where your pass is just docked the relevant number of points for the lifts you take. I have no idea whether - or how - this works in Avoriaz. The Ski School is your best source of advice.

Have a great time. Tell us how it goes. And start saving up for the next trip.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi, I learnt in Val T so not an issue for beginners. But I don't think you need to stretch to that.

My experience when with young children is that one of you might want to ski afternoons now and then whilst the other is on kid duty. Might want to think about that.

Transfer wise. How much would it cost to rent a car instead for the week? That would also give you more freedom for afternoon trips.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Avoriaz @kettonskimum, is car free so you'd be parking at bottom of Prodains cabines or slightly out of town, not quite so convenient.

If there are boot options, cheapest boots can be pretty dreadful. No idea if that applies. But more expensive boots may well be better.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wow thanks so much for all of the help folks!! Happy with avoriaz and sticking with package deal at this point now. Will def post after trip, but probs have more questions in meantime. I’ve set up an account for next trip already, hoping wee one loves the slopes!! She’s enjoyed her lessons so far.

@crashnburn @mjit @under_a_new_name (no idea how to actually link your name, hopefully you’re getting a wee notification) From what I can see I can only buy 2 days for avoriaz - the price list says if you want any more than that to go to PDS - not sure if that’s advice so we don’t get bored or if you’re only allowed to buy 2 days max?). That’s why I was looking at pds.

Everyone - cheap skis it is, thanks! Will ask for chin height and easy turners cheers.

@mrgrolf ESF offer ‘Avrizou’ which is for 3-4 year olds - it’s daycare with 1.5 hrs skiing

@pam_w that’s a very good point ref ski school for us, in terms of advice for where to go on mountain, looking into options now.

Not sure of it makes a difference but we aren’t total beginners - I boarded for a couple of years in high school - basically on ice in Canada, tailbone ruined as a result, hence learning to ski! Had 2 lessons, got cleared to use tow and have been doing rec sessions myself since, all good so far, really enjoying it. Hubby and I went a boarding holiday together before we had our girl to zermatt and loved it. But yeah we just headed up the mountain ourselves and things like getting stuck on a long slow blue pushing a board along at the end of the day with the Marshall behind us is making me lean towards getting a little help this time lols. And it sucks not knowing which way to go off the lift!

@kettonskimum - yes to the occasional avo taking turns! A good reason to get full day passes. Haven’t looked into renting car as worried about driving on snow, no experience doing this and might be a wee bit stressful for first trip. Will roads be clear at that time of year, ie don’t need chains?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes boots make such a difference @under_a_new_name, def willing to pay more to get a good fit to make the week as enjoyable as possible.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
IME you get a choice of "standard" of ski, but with hire boots, you get what fits - keep trying till you get what feels right.

You won't have to be in a beginner ski school group - talk to the school.

You'd be unlikely to encounter any difficult driving to the base at Avoriaz but there isn't much point. You've chosen Avoriaz because it offers you alternatives for the afternoon. There's a lot to think about on a first ski holiday with a small child - I'd keep it simple. At that time of year, with any luck, you can spend time out in the sunshine in the afternoons - take a little beach bucket and spade for your daughter. And you'll be able to rent toboggans (and get covered in slush).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Will roads be clear at that time of year, ie don’t need chains?

We're driving to Tignes starting out 1 April. Car has cross climate tyres for grip. Have checked French mountain rules and chains not obligatory in Savoie region after 31 March.

I think, if there's suddenly a massive dump of snow, the road clearers are on it - but during normal working hours. So, I guess if you were driving very late at night/very early in morning it would be an issue.

Assume, with a hire car, you'd be able in include extras such as child seat etc. Not sure if snow chains are inc as standard.

Although, the way fuel prices are heading, might not be much between transfer costs/hire car. Esp if you might need to pay for parking too (not sure?). Just gives you some flexibility if you want it.
snow report
Thanks @kettonskimum, just checked and cheapest car I can get is £320. By the time I fill it up, with prices the way they are as you say, I’m not going to be miles off of the £450 private transfer quote. For first time in avoriaz and only there for a week, I’m happy to just plunk ourselves there. Maybe head down to morzine one afternoon using lifts but that’s about it. Have the best time in Tignes!!
ski holidays
@Mclennr, Thank you so much. And have a fab time yourselves!
latest report
A full days private lesson for two beginners would be very intense, and it’s unlikely you’d get as much benefit as you would from five half day group lessons IMO. Also it’s more fun in a group, especially when you’re starting out.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
Avoriaz @kettonskimum, is car free so you'd be parking at bottom of Prodains cabines or slightly out of town, not quite so convenient.

...or parking in the car parks up in Avoriaz (outdoor should be fine in April) and jump in a horse drawn slay to your accomodation from the bag drop area. Even to the furthest areas of Avoriaz that's only €12/ride, so fine for getting bags to/from accommodation and almost everything is walkable in resort.
snow conditions
Mclennr wrote:
Thanks @kettonskimum, just checked and cheapest car I can get is £320. By the time I fill it up, with prices the way they are as you say, I’m not going to be miles off of the £450 private transfer quote.

Any reason it has to be a private transfer? Looks like Ski-Lifts (others available) will do shared transfers (in a 12 seat minibus) for £260.
snow report
We buy 5hr PDS passes when we want to go over to Switzerland. To be honest you wont need it- plenty of decent beginner skiing in Avoriaz. Book yourselves in for a few leasons to start with too.
snow conditions
@mjit no reason to go private, couldn’t see a shared lift with availability, thanks for letting me know about ski lifts, that’s so much cheaper!! Looking now…
snow conditions
Have put in request with ski lifts to see what they are saying to it.

@nadenoodle so you can buy more than 2 days skiing in avoriaz? This is what I’ve been looking at:

https://en.calameo.com/read/002827892c28e6ead090d?page=1
snow report
ESF's proper lessons start at age 4 in the ourson class. Which is a full day/morning/afternoon (you can choose which) of skiing, starting on the nursery slopes and doing easy blues by the end of the week, Avoriaz has a lovely gentle blue going down from the town called proclu. I did my first week of ski school there many years ago now, and remember going down that run a lot.

Younger than 4 though is piou piou, which is really just childcare for the day, they basically have the kids playing in the snow, and do some very basic things like learning how to put skis on, and just sliding down the almost flat piou piou area slope. But only some of the time is actually skiing, most is just playing, contrary to ourson which is a full session of skiing.
ski holidays
@Mjit, my point parking n the Avoriaz out of town parking is that I couldn't be bothered going back to the car for an afternoon excursion. YMMV.
snow report
Thanks for all of your help folks. We ended up flying to Geneva and got a private powdercabs transfer out and a shared ski lifts transfer back. While there our 3.5 year old earned her blanchot badge with ESF while my husband and I spent 2 hours a day as part of a class 2 esf group. Stayed at the Électra apartments in Les crozats. Booked everything separately and it all went great, had a fab time!! Planning December trip now… Very Happy
ski holidays
Also we ended up buying the pds passes as we’re told we needed to for Class 2. Didn’t need it until about the 3rd or 4th day though.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy