Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian Glaciers Road Trip - November 2021

Poster: A snowHead
5 -12 November 2021
- Stubai Glacier (3 days)
- Pitztal Glacier (1 day)
- Hintertux Glacier (3 days)
- 3 nights in Fulpmes
- 3 nights in Mayrhofen
- 1 night near Salzburg Airport

Amazing to be back in the Alps and an incredible bonus to arrive after a massive snow dump (to low levels) in the previous couple of days. Our first port of call was Stubaital, with a lot of snow at valley level and a winter wonderland drive to the glacier.

Stroke of luck part two was six out of seven days of wall to wall sun. And even the one foggy/cloudy day (day five) got out sunny in the afternoon. We did have one very windy day at Hintertux though, where skiing from the summit wasn't too much fun.

Conditions were generally fantastic (packed powder) but some trafficked areas did get a bit slick and worn as the week progressed. Still very decent overall for the time of year though. And it was great to ski some non-glacial pistes lower down.

We had two very busy days with packed gondolas (with manageable queues) and lunatic speedsters playing human slalom on crowded pistes. These were a Saturday at Stubai and (strangely) a Thursday at Hintertux. We did still manage to find quieter runs on those days though, so still enjoyed ourselves. And even a busy glacier ski day was worth waiting for after all that we've all endured.

The trip highlight was our day at Pitztal. Years since we skied there and the area was a lot more extensive than we remembered. Access via the funicular is excellent (only 8 mins) and the runs were all but deserted. There's a cafe at the top of the skiing which has absolutely sensational views - fantastic for a hot chocolate to end the day before our final run.

Good to be back indeed Very Happy

Approaching Stubai Glacier and winter wonderland

Cruising at Stubai

Hintertux

Skiing down to Sommerberg, Hintertux

Empty runs at Pitztal

Top of Pitztal Glacier

The sun sets on the holiday (final run at Hintertux)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@mountainaddict, a trip report!! It's been too long.

Gorgeous pictures, Stubai looks very different to my trip there when we couldn't see 2 foot in front of us.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers ElzP Very Happy Stubai is particularly impressive - such a lot of terrain and quite varied for a glacier area.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mountainaddict wrote:
[b]
We had two very busy days with packed gondolas (with manageable queues) and lunatic speedsters playing human slalom on crowded pistes. These were a Saturday at Stubai and (strangely) a Thursday at Hintertux.

I was at Hintertux on Thursday too, don't remember getting overtaken though wink
Good to see you enjoyed yourself snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
I was at Hintertux on Thursday too, don't remember getting overtaken though
Laughing Must've just been us old folks... Sad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Great report and fantastic photos. That Pitztal photo is stunning!

This time next week we will be in Val Thorens - hopefully with weather and snow like that of your trip! Fingers crossed...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
I was at Hintertux on Thursday too, don't remember getting overtaken though
Laughing Must've just been us old folks... Sad

I'm probably older than you wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
I'm probably older than you
Maybe...maybe not...But I'm probably just slower than you, despite my racing snowplough wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You can't beat a bit of bragging about how fast you ski... rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bergmeister wrote:
You can't beat a bit of bragging about how fast you ski... rolling eyes
Nah just teasing really, I didn't actually see that many going that quickly but I was probably out of the way when all of the racers came down at lunchtime when it's normally crazy. On a serious note it is likely to be a bit of a problem this winter in Austria as speeds were much higher last season than ever before due to the fact that nearly everyone on the mountain could ski and there weren't very many people. During the week when we were on the chair we probably only saw a dozen or so people skiing.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fantastic photo's - how did you find all the covid restrictions etc?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
During the 5th and 6th Nov I was on the Kitzsteinhorn glacier at Kaprun, Austria.

snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
how did you find all the covid restrictions etc?

As I posted in the very informative Austria Travel Restrictions thread:
Quote:
The country is very intent on covid mitigation measures, which does feel quite reassuring. It was good to see our covid passes being checked for the two apartments and one hotel we stayed in and also for entry to bars, cafes and mountain restaurants. We were even collared by a policeman for drinking takeaway coffee in Salzburg Airport without a mask Shocked We were told maskless coffee drinking was permitted only in the cafe. Oops... Embarassed

Also good to see FP2 mask-wearing being broadly enforced on gondolas. A bit disconcerting to ride jam-packed cabins at Stubai and Hintertux though - particularly with the inevitable duffers whose masks were just hanging off their chins.

Good to be back in free for all Blighty now rolling eyes - a bit odd to emerge at Stansted to find so many people without masks. What price liberty eh? wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great pics DB. Looks great. Thanks for sharing.

As we were in and out of SZG Airport, we had originally planned on a Kitzsteinhorn visit. But as we have a few Austria trips planned for 2021-22, we've ended up buying season tickets - namely the Tirol Snow Card. This obviously excludes non-Tirol areas like Kitzsteinhorn. There are five glaciers on the Snow Card though, so hopefully (covid etc permitting) we can ski into May somewhere.

Very excited at our *first ski season tickets Very Happy

(*excluding Weardale and Lake District Ski Clubs wink)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@mountainaddict,

Thanks and sorry I meant to thank you for your pics too.

A lot of very good ski resorts on the Tirol Snow Card, enjoy them!
Sometimes the conditions in late April/May are awesome on the glaciers. Fresh powder in the mornings and super sunny on the terrasse in the afternoons with very few people putting in fresh tracks.
latest report
@mountainaddict, Did you venture into any of the bars afterwards? Did they seem busy?
snow report
Quote:
Did you venture into any of the bars afterwards? Did they seem busy?
We were using the first (in the middle of nowhere) gondola at Stubai, so no apres ski venues in the vicinity. The Hohenhaus at the bottom of Hintertux looked busy inside and out - so we gave it a miss...

Found one bar open in Mayrhofen, with about six customers in it. Otherwise the town was like a ghost town - all hotels and restaurants in darkness.
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, you went to Hintertux a week too early, apparently a lot of the race clubs have disappeared now that vaccine or recovery are required.
snow conditions
Quote:
...apparently a lot of the race clubs have disappeared now that vaccine or recovery are required
Is that right?? Shocked If so, no doubt the same lads (& lasses) were the ones wearing masks below their chins in the gondolas... rolling eyes
snow report
@mountainaddict, I'll find out tomorrow snowHead
snow conditions
@Chris_n, We expect a full trip report Chris!
snow report
@russ_e, it's not really a trip, just down the next but one valley wink
snow conditions
Sorry no pics atm Imgbb playing up on my tablet. Left home this morning at 6.45 just before it got light. As we were driving up Zillertal it was foggy and there was noticeably less traffic around than last week. Coming through Mayerhofen and the villages beyond it was clear there were a lot less vehicles parked outside of the hotels and guest houses. It was starting to look as though the rumours of many leaving due to 2G were true. As we came through Finkenberg the fog cleared and we could see the mountains in front bathed in sunshine. Coming to the ski area the above ground car parks were nearly empty and there was plenty of space in the underground car park. After we put boots etc on we headed up to the entrance to the lift, ticket kiosks were all manned but only customers at 2 or 3 of them. There was a gazebo set up to carry out 2G checks on season ticket holders and a wrist band valid for one week duly issued. The ticket kiosks were carrying out 2G checks on customers buying short term tickets.
We got to the first lift which is designed to carry maybe 20 sitting and probably the same again standing, there were only 5 of us in the lift despite it being peak time compared with it being more or less full last week. Same again for the next 2 lifts to the top. Getting out at top station it was sunny and there were very few about. We could see immediately that the 2 T bars were really quiet and only one was running partially filled, in contrast to last week where both lifts were running to capacity with large queues in all 4 lanes. Snow was softer than last week following about 20cm of new snow at the weekend. The only run that was disappointing was the run down to Schlegeis chair which was icy in places and had random loose chunks of Ice and a few stones scattered all over the piste, pisten bully drivers must do better wink . Snow was much better on the lower part of the mountain than last week with the run down to Sommerberg top station in good condition all of the way down. Many piste machines were out in various places preparing new areas of piste. Unfortunately the sun didn't last but the light was always good enough to give reasonable contrast. No 2G checks were carried out in restaurants as everyone on the mountain had been controlled at the bottom. Masks were 100% worn correctly.
snow report
Great report Chris_n. Sounds good in terms of conditions, visitor numbers and covid checks. Glad to hear that masks were being worn correctly - but is it correct that (because of the other measures) they are no longer compulsory on the lifts?

It's amazing (and good IMO!) if the 2G enforcement really has resulted in unvaccinated punters staying away. If only HM Government here would be so daring... rolling eyes
snow conditions
@mountainaddict, no they are still required. It was in the original regulation that they wouldn't be required but further measures imposed on Sunday? (Cant actually remember which day it was, something changes everyday) made the use of masks in 2G areas compulsory.
The British press are delighting in liking these measures to Nazi times with words like Apartheid being bandied about.
snow report
Quote:
The British press are delighting in liking these measures to Nazi times with words like Apartheid being bandied about
Entirely predictable and all rather sad in my view Confused I felt a lot safer in Austria last week than I have since returning to the land where liberty rules above all else and where it appears the majority now behave as though covid never happened... Sad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy