Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

5 days in the Tyrol end October. Any ideas?

Poster: A snowHead
Hatching a plan to meet BiL and family coming from Vienna as Tyrol is about equidistant. Recommendations of places to stay? Things not to miss? Ideally we will mainly be outside biking / hiking with the kids if the weather allows
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depends on what you want as there is a big choice. Kitzbühel is actually a nice place when not over run with sekt drinking types, not really big mountains but plenty of hiking & biking routes. It is also easy to get to with a train station in the middle of town. The Zillertal has a range of options, with some big mountains (by the standards of the eastern Alps) on the border ridge at the end of the valleys to the south of Mayrhofen. If you want a more remote spot I like Vent down the end of the Ötztal, it is a real mountain village (though not much there if the weather is poor). Lots of other places. Most of the huts close at the end of September so not many high up lunch spots. I suspect if it is a half term week in Austria or Southern Germany finding accommodation might not be so easy. You might also think about the Südtirol, the weather is often better, especially in autumn as little chance of thunderstorms, some really stunning scenery and I believe you like wine of which there is plenty.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thermal Spas for sure like Aqua Dome in Langenfeld. The Solden ski will be closed in Oct, but there are also bike routes you could use if there is no snow already. Bike parks will be closed in Oct.
Tauern Spa near Kaprun, check if ski area open.
Stubai is very nice skiing end of Oct, especially if lucky with a snowfall.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The glaciers should be open (I skied Kaprun end of Oct last year just before another lockdown came in).

https://www.skiresort.info/glacier-ski-resorts/austria/

Are you and the BIL both driving or are you traveling by plane/train?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bikepark Innsbruck is still open some days, depending on when you’re going: https://www.muttereralm.at/en/muttereralm/opening-times/25-0.html
I can very much recommend the Mutteralm (hut) at the top of the lift and the cake is most excellent. Very Happy

Stubai will be open by then I think.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DB wrote:
The glaciers should be open (I skied Kaprun end of Oct last year just before another lockdown came in).

https://www.skiresort.info/glacier-ski-resorts/austria/

Are you and the BIL both driving or are you traveling by plane/train?

Thanks for the ideas. We’ll be driving and will have the dog so not planning on skiing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BobinCH wrote:
Thanks for the ideas. We’ll be driving and will have the dog so not planning on skiing

The weather can be miserable at that time of year in Austria, I'd be inclined to meet at a more Southern location. (e.g. Venice, Florenz, Lake Garda).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DB wrote:
The weather can be miserable at that time of year in Austria

It can also be really hot. What is certain, is that it’s totally impossible to say Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scarlet wrote:
DB wrote:
The weather can be miserable at that time of year in Austria

It can also be really hot. What is certain, is that it’s totally impossible to say Toofy Grin

Even last year which was pretty warm well into October was very cold end of Oct/early Nov. Can remember going out on a bike ride in early Nov 2020 and the car windscreens being frozen in the morning - and that was at an elevation of approx. 350m.

Let's cut to the chase - I'll bet you on a major town of your choice in Austria vs Lake Garda, based on the max. daily temp on my birthday (31 Oct / Halloween).
The prize is a can of Irn Bru and a packet of crumpets* (to be paid by the loser)

* Subject to availability from Bobby's food store in Vienna, if not available the winner can have "sommert else".
https://bobbysfoodstore.at/#home
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@DB, haha! Italy is hotter, no question, but Austria won’t necessarily be cold. Tirol was hot and sunny in October 2018 and 2019, but 2020 was miserable and cold, though the skiing was ok. Last November it then warmed up again, and people were less bothered that the lifts were closed because the new snow had melted anyway. That changed in Dec obvs. After a summer of unstable weather, who knows? Maybe @BobinCH can hatch a plan and finalise it a bit closer to the time when he has a idea of the forecast.

Or just go to Italy wink

P.S. Arco is nicer than Garda.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB wrote:

Even last year which was pretty warm well into October was very cold end of Oct/early Nov. Can remember going out on a bike ride in early Nov 2020 and the car windscreens being frozen in the morning - and that was at an elevation of approx. 350m.

They’re Scots. Will probably think that’s balmy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ötztal valley sounds promising!
https://www.oetztal.com/summer.html
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BobinCH wrote:
Ötztal valley sounds promising!
https://www.oetztal.com/summer.html

First worldcup ski races of the season on 23&24 Oct 2021 @ Sölden.

... but yes it's a nice part of the world.

http://youtube.com/v/Qp5w-hXvxsg
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BobinCH, yes it is a very pleasant part of the world. Sölden itself is not a particularly nice place but it is only a very small part of the valley. There is a wealth of walking and biking available. October is often glorious weather (so called "Kaiserwetter", clear blue skies with distant views), the heat of summer has gone making it more pleasant for walking. A misty morning with the autumnal colours can be magical. Of course being in the mountains it could pour with rain all week! Do bear in mind that it is a long valley, it can be a slow drive from the autobahn to Vent or Obergurgl so that might impact on arrival / departure logistics.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@BobinCH, will you have bikes with you?

I believe most lifts/bikeparks will be closed by then (Saalbach has a few open til 17th Oct), so you’d probably need to look for places with legal singletrack to ride and self-pedal. Nauders/Reschenpass, Fiss/Serfaus, Kitzbühel and Sölden are probably your best options, unless you pop over the Brenner to the Dolomites or Garda. Some options around Innsbruck too, but the above have more variety.

Weather could really be anything from glorious clear stable Autumn weather to 50cms of snow to the valley… if the later looks likely try to bring/rent touring kit and I’ll show you some spots wink
ski holidays
ed48 wrote:
Thermal Spas for sure like Aqua Dome in Langenfeld. The Solden ski will be closed in Oct, but there are also bike routes you could use if there is no snow already. Bike parks will be closed in Oct.
Tauern Spa near Kaprun, check if ski area open.
Stubai is very nice skiing end of Oct, especially if lucky with a snowfall.

Solden glacier - one of them anyway - is now open. One T bar and a gondola. Blue runs and a sketchy black. The webcam is interesting
snow conditions
munich_irish wrote:
@BobinCH, yes it is a very pleasant part of the world. Sölden itself is not a particularly nice place but it is only a very small part of the valley. There is a wealth of walking and biking available. October is often glorious weather (so called "Kaiserwetter", clear blue skies with distant views), the heat of summer has gone making it more pleasant for walking. A misty morning with the autumnal colours can be magical. Of course being in the mountains it could pour with rain all week! Do bear in mind that it is a long valley, it can be a slow drive from the autobahn to Vent or Obergurgl so that might impact on arrival / departure logistics.

It's a lovely drive - apart from though Solden which is a bit of a pit really... about 45 mins from the motorway to Obergurgl on a good day. Fascinating putting O level geography to ex-glacial valleys, the big lump of morraine the road climbs over and all
ski holidays
This one looks good nr Habichen? Location any good?

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/35153105?check_in=2021-10-22&check_out=2021-10-28&guests=1&adults=4&children=4&s=13&unique_share_id=27a6fc6b-9506-4c93-bc69-a5cffce7f952

Long way from Vent
snow report
@BobinCH, I would say that is a good spot simply as it makes logistics easier. I have only driven through Öetz so cant make any comments on the village itself, though it does seem a nice enough spot (better than Sölden). There are plenty of nice mountains around locally, up to the 2900m - 3000m mark which is high for the eastern alps. @clarky999, & @scarlet would have better knowledge of the local bike riding possibilities. Day trips down to the end of the valley would be easy enough. If the weather is miserable getting to Innsbruck or wherever is easy, regular trains from the station not too far away. Some of the lifts run until the end of October, maybe weekend only.
snow report
munich_irish wrote:
@BobinCH, I would say that is a good spot simply as it makes logistics easier. I have only driven through Öetz so cant make any comments on the village itself, though it does seem a nice enough spot (better than Sölden). There are plenty of nice mountains around locally, up to the 2900m - 3000m mark which is high for the eastern alps. @clarky999, & @scarlet would have better knowledge of the local bike riding possibilities. Day trips down to the end of the valley would be easy enough. If the weather is miserable getting to Innsbruck or wherever is easy, regular trains from the station not too far away. Some of the lifts run until the end of October, maybe weekend only.

+1; like you have only driven through Oetz (have wondered what it's skiing is like, high up reached by one gondola). Looks way nicer than Solden, which lacks any class. The drive to Obergurgl is well worth taking on a nice day
snow report
Perfect thanks!
ski holidays
We have stayed in Langenfeld and can recommend it, 20 mins from Solden & Oetz. Nice small town with activity other than Skiing, very convenient for the Aqua Dome too which is highly recommended.

Also attending the FIS race a few years ago up on the glacier, was really fun experience. Especially the atmosphere in Solden in the afternoons/evenings around the race.
snow report
Alas no dogs allowed…

New option is in Telfs

https://abnb.me/pu2dMQsfJjb
ski holidays
@BobinCH, I wouldn't stay in Telfs. There are much nicer places around.
snow conditions
Scarlet wrote:
@BobinCH, I wouldn't stay in Telfs. There are much nicer places around.

Need something for 8 plus a dog around 250 per night. Any other ideas?
ski holidays
@BobinCH, Have you got any other options? Where are you looking (websites)?
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
@BobinCH, Have you got any other options? Where are you looking (websites)?

Using airbnb searching on Tyrol, 4 adults, 4 kids + dog
latest report
so the 289CHF? nicely a little way up the Oztal valley. Looks like Umhausen
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Purely based on location but no idea about the properties I would be inclined to go for the Mittenwald one (Mittenwalder Hohenweg is a great easy via Ferrata if the lift is running, lots of walks into the nearby limestone mountain scenery ) or the one near Ehrwald.
snow conditions
buchanan101 wrote:
so the 289CHF? nicely a little way up the Oztal valley. Looks like Umhausen

When you zoom in the search pulls out more properties. Alas the 289chf has no reviews - we avoid those
latest report
@munich_irish, I would agree. If you have bikes then a ride up Karwendeltal to Karwendelhaus is really worthwhile. Fantastic scenery. Plus a walk in the Dammkar to/from the Karwendelbahn is interesting, so I'm told (have only done it on skis). Besides, Mittenwald is a nice place!
snow report
munich_irish wrote:
Purely based on location but no idea about the properties I would be inclined to go for the Mittenwald one (Mittenwalder Hohenweg is a great easy via Ferrata if the lift is running, lots of walks into the nearby limestone mountain scenery ) or the one near Ehrwald.

Mittenwand one looks a bit small alas
https://abnb.me/eIEZVrTwJjb
snow report
@BobinCH, sure you may already have done so, but possibly worth checking out Vrbo also? I've booked an apartment in Morzine for long weekend in March via Vrbo and the identical apartment via Airbnb was c.£200 more expensive.
snow conditions
Ended up in Telfs as it was not so easy to find places taking dogs. And weather looks good at least Sat - Mon. Seems this bike park is open. Any other suggestion for active families with kids (9-12)? We’ll have transport. Thanks in advance.

https://www.muttereralm.at/en/muttereralm/opening-times/25-0.html
ski holidays
@BobinCH, You might be able to find something to do here: https://area47.at/en/

If you have climbers, Telfs isn't far from Ehnbachklamm and Martinswand (sport climbing) or I think there's a climbing centre in Telfs, or the KI in Innsbruck.

I know of a hut near Leutasch that does a very good kaiserschmarrn. It takes an energetic hike to get there, or you can ride bikes: http://www.wettersteinhuette.at/

If you go to the bike park at Mutters, the restaurant at the top of the bubble is very good (Mutterer Alm), and it's also worth walking/biking 10min up to the Panoramasee just above.
snow conditions
@Scarlet, thanks! Seems the Area 47 closed for winter at start of October but climbing will definitely be a hit.
snow report
@BobinCH, Ah ok, good to know. Ehnbachklamm is the nicer place, though more of a walk in. Take a picnic and have a paddle in the stream if the weather's nice! I can lend you a guide book if you want.
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
@BobinCH, Ah ok, good to know. Ehnbachklamm is the nicer place, though more of a walk in. Take a picnic and have a paddle in the stream if the weather's nice! I can lend you a guide book if you want.

Perfect. Kids doing climbing camp this week and BiL is quite proficient so will definitely give that a shot.
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
Ended up in Telfs as it was not so easy to find places taking dogs. And weather looks good at least Sat - Mon. Seems this bike park is open. Any other suggestion for active families with kids (9-12)? We’ll have transport. Thanks in advance.

https://www.muttereralm.at/en/muttereralm/opening-times/25-0.html

Yep, that's Bikpeark Innsbruck and I think the last still open. There are some fun trails, but coming from Verbier manage your expectations because it's definitely not on the same level as places like Sölden or Saalbach. The blue 'Chainless One' trail is pure flow, but my favourite is the (red) First One which has some nice rougher sections too. By far the toughest are the trails down to Götzens - these are a 5 min pedal across from the top of the lift, but more annoyingly around a 30 minute pedal back (along the main road) as the lift isn't running this summer. There are some pretty damn rowdy sections ((and a lot of stuff I have to walk) though, and it's where the Crankworx DH race was held the first year it was in Innsbruck.

Will you have bikes with you, or renting? You should be able to rent either from the main Die Boerse shop in town, or their outpost at the bikepark. But it would be worth calling (not email, as they can be a bit slow) to reserve as I don't know how many rental bikes they have.

If you feel like pedalling something too, the Arzler Alm Trail (on the Nordkette mountains right over the city) is really fun, tbh probably better than anything in the bikepark. It's around 500m vert from the city, so should be doable by the kids too, and there's a nice hut for food/drinks 2 mins away from the start.

If you have your own bikes, I think you can still ride the natural trails ((dotted lines) in Sölden (which is I guess an hour drive from Telfs) even though the bikepark is closed: https://bikerepublic.soelden.com/natural-trails

For other stuff:

1. You're pretty close to Seefeld, so it's a shame their bikepark is already closed. But if you fancy training your winter freestyle moves there is: https://www.seefeld.com/en/a-bangerpark
2. For similar but indoor and trampoline-based rather than ramps, checkout FlipLab by Innsbruck (it's really fun for adults as well as kids!): https://www.fliplab.at/innsbruck/en
3. E-motocross bikes and playing with a JCB/digger (Bagger in German)? https://www.arena-x.at/motocross-angebot-im-ueberblick/
4. Audioversum is a pretty cool museum (also for kids), based around the science of hearing: https://www.audioversum.at/en
5. There's a million hiking trails around, but as you're fairly close to Mieming and Ehrwald/Scharnitz might as well look at those (beautiful!) areas. TBH I really have no idea how far you can hike with kids of that age, but two options to check out: https://www.innsbruck.info/en/hiking/hiking/summit-tours/touren/summit-tour-wankspitze.html and especially: https://www.outdooractive.com/en/route/mountain-hike/zugspitz-arena-tyrol/drachensee-coburger-huette-seebensee-ueber-brendlikar/53603420/?i=53603420
6. Hiking with llamas? https://www.innsbruck.info/en/see-and-experience/special-experiences/special-activities-in-summer/detail/infrastruktur/lamawanderung-obsteig.html
7. If you're tired of biking the mountain carts at Muttereralm (same place as bikepark above) are supposed to be pretty fun:
http://youtube.com/v/AXgm8v0gxjE
8. Climbing, but Scarlet is the one to advise on that!
9. Probably would appeal more to the adults (though there are kids pools), but the Aquadome (spa more than waterpark) could be an option if the weather takes a turn for the worse: https://www.aqua-dome.at/en
10. Stubaier glacier is open for skiing...

Unfortunately I will be in Slovenia this weekend, otherwise I'd offer to show you some of the trails or something!
snow report
@clarky999, many thanks for all that great info!!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy