Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Decline of Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
As observed by Field Marshal Montgomery.

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Never one to hold back on his opinion. Very Happy

- I believe he was proven correct on most occasions.

Having said that, the exhilaration of cruising at speed is hard to beat. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Did he also believe that driving should only be done off road?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Timmycb5 wrote:
Did he also believe that driving should only be done off road?

If Market Garden was anything to go by, probably.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm wondering just what the letter headed "Paying for Pleasure" said !! Wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's another one from Monty complaining about having to pay cash for prostitutes post rationing, as opposed to bartering petrol, nylons or treaties on how to deployed armor and infantry in staggered defensive formations.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 25-10-21 14:26; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
albob wrote:
I'm wondering just what the letter headed "Paying for Pleasure" said !! Wink

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/weve-got-mail-the-greatest-letters-sent-to-the-times-nkznwqw9f
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skiing is going downhill.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not wrong was he.

Elsewhere in Celeb skiing news I was interested to learn from Off Menu podcast that Ed Sheeran is a big fan of Jerry of the Day and has a bunch of mates who are big skiers so they have adopted "Full Send" terminology and in fact have a Sendy Wine Club regularly.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is there nothing that can’t be ruined by Ed Sheeran Mad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
denfinella wrote:
Skiing is going downhill.
bravo
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Arno, tbh I'm warming to him as a bloke (his overrated busker music can go do one). Clearly he just employs all his mates.

http://youtube.com/v/YVVpPca-eJY
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ahhh... the old '' it were be'ter in my day laddy ''

Yawn.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dave of the Marmottes, argh that was pretty funny. I hate it when my prejudices are challenged in this way
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Dave of the Marmottes, @Arno, He does seem a decent bloke, but his music sucks!
snow report
I like the way that 45 years ago you didn't get a letter published in the Times unless you were a 'name'. Lawrence Durrell's letter just above.
ski holidays
Montgomery of Alamein? Really? Sounds like a cross between Stanton and DG Shocked
ski holidays
eblunt wrote:
I like the way that 45 years ago you didn't get a letter published in the Times unless you were a 'name'. Lawrence Durrell's letter just above.

It is a collection of "best of" letters, davidof posted the link, the dates are all different.
snow report
DJL wrote:
Montgomery of Alamein? Really? Sounds like a cross between Stanton and DG Shocked

Jesus, some people are ignorant. That was his official title granted to him by the King in recognition of his contribution to the Allies winning WW2. To compare him to Stanton or DG is pathetic. Without men like him, you wouldn't even be writing in English, let alone have the freedom of speech to write such crap.
ski holidays
“Glorified tobogganing on wood” Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh!
ski holidays
Raceplate wrote:
DJL wrote:

Jesus, some people are ignorant. That was his official title granted to him by the King in recognition of his contribution to the Allies winning WW2. To compare him to Stanton or DG is pathetic. Without men like him, you wouldn't even be writing in English, let alone have the freedom of speech to write such crap.

I was commenting on his analysis of skiing, not his military achievements. Relax a bit.
latest report
Was right then and even more right now. Skiing/the environment/life would be fastly improved by only having lifts and prepared slopes for beginners to learn. So basically one or two nursery slopes. Everyone else should have to skin up and put the effort in. But of course where’s the money in that, especially as most ppl only ski as a way to breakup getting stoned on caffeine, alcohol and carbohydrates and to avoid talking to the partner/ kids
snow report
DJL wrote:
Raceplate wrote:
DJL wrote:

I was commenting on his analysis of skiing, not his military achievements. Relax a bit.

TBF, I read it the same way as Raceplate*.
More clarity next time, perhaps?
It makes sense now that you’ve explained it.

(* DG is a veteran of 2 wars with the SKGB!)
snow report
@Ionizingskin, You forgot cakes
snow conditions
"Skiin hardest game there is, been in it 40 years, man and boy. When Killy won, Bartelski on the camels......"

http://youtube.com/v/S_OAU6tph_U
latest report
Ionizingskin wrote:
Was right then and even more right now. Skiing/the environment/life would be fastly improved by only having lifts and prepared slopes for beginners to learn. So basically one or two nursery slopes. Everyone else should have to skin up and put the effort in. But of course where’s the money in that, especially as most ppl only ski as a way to breakup getting stoned on caffeine, alcohol and carbohydrates and to avoid talking to the partner/ kids

Unfortunately a lot of modern day skiers require billiard table type pistes on all grade of runs ,hence the vast amounts of money spent nightly smoothing the pistes overnight.This has resulted in a much lower skill set on the mountain and a change of priorities for skiers.

Late season skiing when slopes soften up at midday and provide moguls always provides a reminder of ones real skiing ability.
ski holidays
@Ionizingskin, you would have very green skiing as very few people would do it. With a bit of a health and obesity crisis, we now have the totally absurd electric bikes, and the really stupid, and dangerous electric scooters. No chance of exercise there. And these are for primarily going on the flat, not skinning up a mountain. To be fair I would also not ski, as most of my 53 years skiing has been on pistes, and I ain’t skinning up any mountain now.
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/VtZsbLwm8Go

What would 'Monty' have made of this ??

http://youtube.com/v/YE4x8sxT758

This more like it !!

http://youtube.com/v/WJBf29FiUNc
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That which does not in a state of evolution, is dead.

You may as well complain about why people don't say 'Foresoothe' any more.
snow conditions
@Ionizingskin, one of my mates regularly skins up when skiing. Normally when he’s on the chair lift.
latest report
@twoodwar, Leccy bike are far from absurd.
You still need to pedal, and I'd expect many people to start to pedal more as they get fitter/start to enjoy it.
I also cycle with some older guys (80's) who only use the motor for long/steep hills as their knees aren't up to it any more.
snow conditions
Ski shop, (another) Army style, 1941.
I like this one especially for the appearance of A. Ladd.

http://youtube.com/v/HbxGkikglc8
snow conditions
@MorningGory, I only ever see young riders on them, with the minor exceptions you make, still ridiculous for most
snow report
@twoodwar, Why? Genuine question. People drive cars, ride motorbikes etc., these are just a bit slower (out of town) but in some ways more flexible alternative.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 26-10-21 13:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@twoodwar, Electric scooters could be a useful addition to daily commute options in London.
Not on pavements of course.
ski holidays
This film shows a lot of waxing, but no edging. The quality of skiing is amazing
https://www.skiinghistory.org/resources/video/der-weisse-rauch-1931-full-length#
snow report
I've seen these lunatics doing one of their "races". Absolutely no turning involved. Basically reach terminal velocity on a tree then try to stop.

https://www.powder.com/stories/features/longboarding-lost-sierra/
ski holidays
@johnE, you should probably be cautious on Googling films on the internet entitled " The White Ecstasy" made in Germany in the 1930's
latest report
Laughing
snow report
brianatab wrote:
.... I believe he was proven correct on most occasions. ...
That's a matter of opinion.
He was certainly proved to be "conservative", as he's demonstrating there.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy