Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

WWYG Skiing Next Week

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

So...we were due to go to Chamonix this coming Friday (22nd October) for 8 days. Our plan was to have a few days in Cham then head over to somewhere in search of some Glacier skiing,
however AirBnB have just emailed us and cancelled our accomodation (just blimmin' lovely eh?!)

We have flights to/from Geneva and have a hire car booked and now need to find a new apartment.

My question is - where should we go/where would you go within a decent enough drive of Geneva which has activites for kids (aged 6 and 3) whilst also giving the chance of some skiing?

Les Deux Alpes? Zermatt? Tignes? or somewhere else altogether?

All recommendations most welcome as my head is about to explode! Laughing

Thanks folks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nowhere else avail in Cham? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Theres lots of places but we were only realy going to Cham as we had rolled the accomodation booking over from a trip which was cancelled during Covid and this was the only week we could be away. So given that booking is now cancelled there is nothing tying us into going to Cham if there were somewhere else that could offer us something different.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Unsure about skiing at this point, haven't tried it but get the impression (for holiday use as opposed to sports training) that it's more or less "interseason" during which you may struggle to access anything practical. Could be wrong but looks that way.

Something else, generally the areas within Morzine/ les Gets and Giffre valley Samöens etc are really attractive but unsure of activities in autumn period as visiting summer and winter I've not experienced this time.

Tentatively, lake Annecy and surrounding areas are absolutely beautiful anytime I've been there with more chance of children interest focus perhaps.

As you note, glacier skiing within reasonable reach of Geneva is between Zermatt, Tignes and Le duex Alps and all a fair distance from airport.

Outlying choice perhaps, Val Cenis as it has a lot of summer activities for families, swimming pool, ice skating etc in village and really interesting valley to explore. Good costs and very good places to eat out too.

It's just that access to facilities this time of year that bring a big question mark.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OK, I'll admit my ignorance, and Google couldn't help. WWYG is what?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Where Would You Go is my guess Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tignes opened its glacier this morning.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@MorningGory, Yep, I guess so. Embarassed
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@NewSkiingDad, suspect it will be quiet everywhere. Verbier lifts are still open for biking until 25th but think you’ll struggle with kids activities. Zermatt for skiing but again not ideal for the kids. Currently glorious hiking weather but think the weather is turning at the weekend
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Les Diablerets for skiing at Glacier 3000. 20 min drive to Leysin for loads of kids adventure stuff.

Edit. Sorry but glacier skiing not open until 6th Nov

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 16-10-21 16:56; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sack off skiing - its Autumn. The only ones up there are thr national team and they're not fun to ski with avec enfants. Go to Switzerland instead - do a bit of mountain stuff and then to Lugano for some sun and lake.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Or Saas Fee if you want to set fire to some cash.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What about something a little different to principle ski areas ?

https://www.aletscharena.ch/en/aletsch-arena/places/bettmeralp

Looks interesting from a family point of view.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
Sack off skiing - its Autumn
Ehhhh?? Shocked This is Snowheads, where
- for many - skiing is a way of life and not just an annual holiday; people are so obsessed with the sport that it's not just a winter pursuit; and they enjoy skiing as much in summer, autumn and spring every bit as much as they do in winter.

Go for it NewSkiingDad - chances are that you and the family will love it Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@mountainaddict, quality over quantity.
With the OP’s name and +kids - its a recipe for disappointment and the last thing you want to do is discourage anyone with a sub-par morning up high, skiing 20km and being whooshed by the downhillers and paying 300chf per day for the pleasure (Saas fee as mentioned above for 2 adults 2 kids). By all means do it anyway but accept that autumn skiing is NICHE.
snow conditions
Quote:
quality over quantity
Exactly. Alps Snow conditions at altitude are perfect at the moment Very Happy Nothing sub-par about it and more snow is forecast.

Tignes is virtually deserted, so doesn't look like too much racer whooshing going on there. Not to mention that, in my autumnal glacier skiing experience, the race training areas are very much segregated from the Joe Public skiers.

I'm sure that, if they go for it, the NewSkiingDad family will love it. Looking forward to hearing about it.
latest report
@mountainaddict, from another post, @NewSkiingDad‘s children are aged 6 and 2. Glaciers in October are fine for experienced and highly enthusiastic adults, but they are no place for small inexperienced children.
snow conditions
@mountainaddict, how long to get up to the skiable area of Tignes Glacier with a 2&6yr old?
snow report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
@mountainaddict, how long to get up to the skiable area of Tignes Glacier with a 2&6yr old?

And is there even a nursery area setup there? At least the younger one has presumably never skied before.
ski holidays
FWIW, I have taken young children skiing on a glacier in October without issue. @NewSkiingDad, I would imagine your 3 year old will find it quite challenging (cold, bit bleak, steep pistes etc) but I have taken mine since they graduated piou-piou. Hope you get to ski, good luck. Smile
ski holidays
@Nadenoodlee,
A few mins in the funicular.
ski holidays
Kenzie wrote:
@Nadenoodlee,
A few mins in the funicular.

Then onto the Panoramique chair, or ski down to the Vanoise chair, or walk across a rocky path to Champagny.

There is only one public run in the picture posted by mountainaddict.

In previous years there has been a nursery area near the bottom of the Champagny T-bar but the glacier has shrunk too much now.

Next weekend is the start of French half term, I would expect Tignes and Les Deux Alpes to be busy.
snow report
@Snowsartre, I thought I read on another thread that NewSkiingDad himself is not an experienced skier... a family full of beginners/early intermediates is very different to a competent skier shepherding his/her kids around IMO.
latest report
Quote:
mountainaddict, how long to get up to the skiable area of Tignes Glacier with a 2&6yr old?
About 15 mins.

As mentioned above: Funicular ascent (approx. 7 mins), walk 50 metres to chair (approx. 3 mins), ride chair down to glacier (under 5 mins).

Thanks for the points of clarification. I had missed the ages of the kids and the competence of the OP and was merely trying to extol the virtues of autumn glacier skiing.
ski holidays
ski3 wrote:

As you note, glacier skiing within reasonable reach of Geneva is between Zermatt, Tignes and Le duex Alps and all a fair distance from airport.

I would avoid the Zermatt Glacier, it's really not very good at all, - the Tignes one is better.

Just my opinion, but having tried them both I really think the Zermatt one is simply not worth bothering with.
latest report
Quote:
There is only one public run in the picture posted by mountainaddict
Tignes website this morning showed the two main red and black runs from the top of the cable car as scheduled to open. Below that, the Vanoise Chair is open - so over 700m of vertical is available. Pretty decent for October.
snow report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
@mountainaddict, quality over quantity.
With the OP’s name and +kids - its a recipe for disappointment and the last thing you want to do is discourage anyone with a sub-par morning up high, skiing 20km and being whooshed by the downhillers and paying 300chf per day for the pleasure (Saas fee as mentioned above for 2 adults 2 kids). By all means do it anyway but accept that autumn skiing is NICHE.

I agree 100%. It will most likely be quality skiing on the glacier at this time of year. Very Happy Very Happy Given his name, I'm sure the OP will love it! Very Happy
snow report
Nadenoodlee wrote:

7 minutes in the funicular - regardless of age! wink Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
It will most likely be quality skiing on the glacier at this time of year

A snowHead on another thread is currently reporting 'hero snow' top to bottom at Hintertux Very Happy
ski holidays
@Bergmeister, indeed but thats not what i asked. 2 kids + kit + 3 lifts/ funiculars/ hot air balloons = will take longer than say a powder hungry solo skier.
latest report
@Nadenoodlee, The funicular will take the same time for everyone, after the morning rush it runs to a timetable, you can ski down from the top of it without taking another lift. I wouldn't take a 2yo up there though.
ski holidays
Hi guys, thanks for all the replies. I havent been able to reply as had issues logging in - used a VPN tonight and suddenly hey presto! - I'm in!

Im currently sat in a lovely apartment in Les Deux Alpes with a glass of red after our first full day here. We had a trip up the gondola to the glacier today to have a look around, and while its not going to be
any good for the sprogs, Im going to get myself back up there for a few hours every other day for the next week (I have a very understanding wife! Laughing )

Les Deux Alpes itself is great, although obviously not everything is fully open yet - I will definitely be returning in peak season.

Can anyone recommend any cool non-skiing activities for us in and around this area please?
ski holidays
MorningGory wrote:
Where Would You Go is my guess Very Happy

Ehhh? Is this a p155 take?
ski holidays
@Bergmeister, no, not at all.

What do you think it means?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy