Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Remote working in the Alps this winter!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Any remote workers, digital nomads etc up for booking somewhere in the Alps together for a long term stay this winter? I am a solo intermediate snowboarder, and nowadays am able to work remotely from anywhere with good internet. Spent the summer in Spain and would love to spend a few months in the mountains this winter. Plan would be to book an apartment/house in a small town or village near some of the main resorts in the French/Italian/Austrian Alps. I work full time most days but would take the odd day or morning off here and there when there's a good snowfall, and of course spend the weekends on the snow!

Thanks,

Reuben.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@benru, I'm guessing you have an EU passport, otherwise how are you planning on getting round the 90 in 180 rule?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@benru, the difficulty arises if you are not an EU citizen. As such you are entitled to a stay of 90 days in a rolling 180 days as described by RedandWhiteFlachau above. The purpose of this would be for tourism only, it does not include a work or study permit. Remote work for a UK employer or general freelance work would not be permitted without a work visa, and may also have tax implications. Clearly this is not easy to police, but it certainly may impact your ability to find longer term accommodation.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
How do you get round the tax issues as well ? I did a bit of remote working but from a tax perspective quite hard to avoid being tax resident in some countries.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Assuming you working under the radar, and not declaring working abroad, I guess your employer is happy to also break the tax laws?
If you spent time in Spain, then you could still fall foul of the tax rules.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
orange wrote:
How do you get round the tax issues as well ?

By not declaring it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Assuming you don't have an EU passport, there are 3 main considerations:

1. Duration of stay. I don't think there's any easy way around the 90 in 180 day rule. Any way around this would require a visa (which would likely explicitly rule out working), or a work permit. Estonia has a digital nomad visa, but that's not much use for the alps
2. Your employer's status. If you work for a UK company, then working for them from an EU country could well give that company a permanent presence in that country, with significant implications like corporation tax and HR requirements. If you have your own company you'd need to get advice on the implications.
3. Tax residency - i.e. where you pay tax. If you keep to the 90 in 180 rule, then you should also remain solely tax resident in the UK, as in general you need to spend 183+ days a year in country to become tax resident (though I think Switzerland is 90 days). A big issue with tax residency is that you necessarily have to deal with both HMRC and the tax office of another country, and they may or may not agree

And I suggest you treat this with caution it deserves as a post from a random person on the internet posting about tax and visas on a ski forum
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sack-able offense at my company to be outside the country while teleworking - I believe in our case it is insurance and tax related.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi all. Thanks for your concern but I didn't expect this to turn into a conversation about residency and tax status - probably should have mentioned I'm fully aware of all this. I work in finance for a French multinational and was not planning to stay more than 90 days.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@benru, it ALWAYS turns into a conversation about residency and tax status Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof wrote:
Sack-able offense at my company to be outside the country while teleworking - I believe in our case it is insurance and tax related.

All my teleworking is from a different country. (France) Outside the pandemic we can telework outside Switzerland upto 25% of the time, during the pandemic, 100%. If your home address is outside the country how would that work with your employer?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
just dont tell your employer or any taxpeople. it'll be fine. re: 90 in 180 days rule could you just not do it for 3 motnhs, and the best 3 months of the season? i.e. jan-mar??
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy