Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Meniscus tear surgery for 73-year old?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A friend of mine, knowing that I had a knee operation in the past, asked me whether her mom, aged 73, should have surgery to repair her torn meniscus. Apparently, she is walking with difficulty.

I guess the standard answer would be "check with a good surgeon" but I'm assuming that she may just want some general info on whether such operations are recommended for older persons, or at least what questions to ask before taking a decision. I'm aware that in Romania (where she lives) there may be some surgeons who will enthusiastically recommend surgery for anything...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
horizon, indeed a tricky question, especially if your friend's mum is in Romania.
There are experts on this site who hopefully will advise, but there has been a recent interesting article in the BMJ: Common elective orthopaedic procedures and their clinical effectiveness: umbrella review of level 1 evidence which might be of help. (BMJ 2021;374:n1511)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There're 73 year olds. Then, there're 73 year olds!

I know people who still climb mountains at 74. So the answer for those kind are obvious. I also know other 70 year old who spend their days sitting on their couch "waiting to die" (in their own words). Clearly the answer for those are also quite obvious.

So depends on which end of the spectrum this particular person falls, the answer could change.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd say on a patient level if she could walk well then injured it and now can't, do physio then try op if needed. If it's been gradually worsening over years less convinced. Basically age is not a barrier if she's a good candidate.
Needs to see a surgeon Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In the US there is a lot of talk about how surgical repair of meniscus tears is unnecessary or should I say does not produce outcomes worthy of the procedure. I've had a couple done, and I've also had my surgeon say "let's wait", and in that particular case I waited just fine for around seven years, then it became my second one. Both mine helped (both had a triggering event, not wear and tear). Since I'm not aware of such procedures causing harm, I'd be inclined to get cut again if needed AND if honest efforts at rest and PT etc did not help. At 73 the woman in question is not too old for surgery and likely has a lot of miles left on her odometer; might as well try and get more comfortable.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I wish I could keep up with my 73 YO friend as he jogs up mountains and bounds down them again.

Sorry I cannot advise on whether to operate or not. I am not qualified for medical decisions.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My orthos have always said that the tears I had were not repairable but had good results from having bits chopped out.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ive had bits of both of mine chopped off, the first got so bad some days I couldnt walk a few metres without it catching, waited 10 months for the op the second I paid to have done and was skiing quite soon after, not had problems with either since, 1st was in 2003 the second in 2013
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I damaged mine about 4 years ago, so I would have been about 68.

The surgeon said I should wait and see if it healed up .. and it did in about 3 months.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I had/got a bucket tear. It eventually cleared up after about 8 months. I could not work for a few months & when I could start walking, my knee would buckle without any warning. Worst one was when walking down the stairs & I fell to the bottom!
Not sure if it healed or just worn away the bits catching, but its been ‘fine’ for the last 10 years, except I can no longer run.
Very little blood supply to the meniscus, so really depends how lucky you are!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy