Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obertauern (AT) any better?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I am new there.. Blush Planning to book again Obertauern over Christmas time that year, but i wish to try something new. Smile
I visited already few other Austrian ski resorts and so far Obertauern seems best what you get for the money.
Apres ski scene is good, it has night skiing, basicly i like small village. Little Angel
I was in Schaldming ,Nassfeld, Katschberg, Saalbach-Hinterglem, but out of these Obertauern wins.Sallbach is good but as I remember it was pretty expensive, been there 9years ago.
Austria has lots of ski resorts, is there any better option avaliable?
Any recommendations?

must have night skiing option available, ski in ski out.
good night life, normal prices, I really dont want to pay 10€ for a beer Very Happy

any recommendations?

Thank you..
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Bluecams, welcome to Snowheads!

For Christmas, having a good snow record or snowmaking is key, or easy access to a glacier. That doesn't always fit with night skiing - Söll in the SkiWelt has an extensive night skiing area, but it is a bit of a risk that early in the season and may not have the night skiing active until later. It will typically be OK, but if it isn't then the whole area could be green.

Hinterglemm is a better balance, but the night skiing is much more limited.

I've not been anywhere else with floodlit pistes, so can't comment on other options
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not many places charge €10 a beer, those that do are pretty obvious and easily avoided. Ski in ski out is probably the most difficult, certainly at Christmas with very variable snow conditions. Obertauern has the advantage of height and reasonably reliable snow conditions, I would not of thought it has a lot of night life but never stayed there. If budget is a big consideration then maybe look at one .of the less known villages which are part of a bigger area, such as Leogang, Hopfgarten or Fügen. However I would say the biggest criteria for skiing at Christmas is snow reliability, so go high (which doesnt usually correspond with cheap) ie Obertauern, Obergurgl & Ischgl
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have been to Obertauern and stayed at the Hotel Marietta - which is very nice, but isn't strictly Ski In/Out.

The resort is a decent height for Austria (1740m), doesn't have a Glacier, isn't as snow sure as some - but is known for for having decent snowfall.

Obergurgl would be more snow sure - even though it doesn't have a Glacier, it does go up to 3000m and the village is at 1930m....but I have not been there.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for quick answers.

I checked Söll Skiwelt, looks very large resort, basicly too large Very Happy

Lets say night skiing is not so important but ski in ski out and good nightlife definetely is.

So we found that height and snow conditions are biggest factors in Christmas time.

So Ischgl is another recommendation?How you can compare it with Obertauern?

Thank you.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
https://www.nachtski.at/ gives the details for Soll - 10Km in total, with several alms open for dinner, but with the lift pass prices at €25 per night you'll want to make the most of it rather than eating and then skiing back to the village.

https://www.tyrol.com/things-to-do/sports/skiing/night-skiing has a list for the Tyrol region which sneaks in Saalbach-Hinterglemm despite the slopes being in Salzburgerland. Beware of the numbers - Hochzillertal might have 86Km of slopes, but only about 2Km is open at night, and you have to pay extra for it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Bluecams, Söll is not really large, it is one village in a large area, though snow reliability isnt great. It used to have a reputation as a party spot. I cant see Ischgl meeting your specifications, very snow sure but not cheap or small. You will find places there that sell beer at €10 a go and happy to sell champagne at ten times that. There is a Burger King if you want cheap food! Ski area is very good but the village is (or more precisely the village owners are) loathsome. No real comparison with Obertauern beyond both have hotels and ski lifts and are situated in the Federal Republic of Austria!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy