Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do I take the D1504 to Chambrey or the Auroroute via Lyon Airport , what the quickest ?

Poster: A snowHead
Despite doing the journey loads of times I keep running into lots of traffic from Lyon to Chambray and visa versa ,I have always wounded if cutting across on the D1504 is quicker ? It’s shorter for sure
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is that driving down from uk direction to Tarantaise?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We always go this way. It's very scenic. We come off at junction 8 and go through Amberieu en Bugey. Great route with good restaurant options and cheaper fuel.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
let us know how you get on Rob if you try it..........
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you search for D1504 there are plenty of reports from people who use that route.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
cstreat wrote:
We always go this way. It's very scenic. We come off at junction 8 and go through Amberieu en Bugey. Great route with good restaurant options and cheaper fuel.

forgive my ignorance we always carry on down to Lyon, I dont pay much attention to junctions I just follow the sat nav, wheres junction 8 at?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I like the alternative route if saving anything or not. Either direction has a welcome difference to the longer north section of the journey to and from Calais to give nice contrast.

If Saturday, as most of us know, claggy traffic and timing is critical. Chambery area generally from around 10.00am will usually be quite sticky and you have to traverse it from the alt route. It's both mountain travellers and significant local shopping demand that mixes to generally make traffic slow.

Another route I like (again with Saturday time constraints) is A40 toward Geneva, off at junction 11 and locally directed sat nav to Annecy, target "parking stade nautique" and it'll usually take you straight through the high street to lake front, from there just along lake to Albertville and onward. Usually here by about 8.00am when driving down overnight, then more or less 9.00am at Moutiers for relaxed Tarantaise driving.

Always for access the timing seems to make the most difference rather than route as there's no way of getting clear passage through at peak travel demand.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As I've said on other threads, I haven't been via Lyon for around 20 years. Always go D1504. As I'm no longer tied to Saturday travel, I've also now taken to stopping off at Amberieu Friday night and then it's around a 3 hour hop to Les Arcs, arriving mid to late morning. Quicker? Probably not a great deal in it, if there aren't any delays from Lyon. More pleasant drive? Undoubtedly - it's good to get off the motorway for a while.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Since the A432 was built we've never really had a problem through Lyon. Although we do tend to be going through when it's not rush hour.

Right now google maps says 1h55m A432 route as opposed to 2h18m via A40/D1504 - this is from Macon to Chambery.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We'll get to hotel dijon-ish about 21.00, kip till about 4.00 straight in the wagon through to resort. never hit any traffic.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all travelling to the Tarentaise tomorrow , I think I’ll do the check Google map check when I get to the Chicken at Bresse want to miss any weekend traffic going up from Lyon friday afternoon as many resorts open this weekend .
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Rob Mackley,
I've used the "country" route via Amberieu and Belley several times and will always prefer it to round Lyon. It brings you out above the Lac du Bourget with a view down to the lake. After the thrash along the autoroutes, it's a pleasant drive that takes about the same time. And, importantly, you miss any potential jams between Lyon and Chambéry.
The only proviso is that if the weather turns foul, as a country route it'll probably stall in much the same way as the autoroute would.
As well as your satnav's traffic service use https://savoie-route.fr/?lang=en which, in 73 at least, gives quite accurate traffic info.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Rob Mackley, if you have arrived at the "chicken at bresse" (i assume you mean the service station), haven't you already committed to the D1504 instead of via Lyon route by then?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Layne, Quicker to go A39, rather than Macon, if using the D1504. Knocks about 10 miles off according to AA Route Planner.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Layne wrote:
Since the A432 was built we've never really had a problem through Lyon. Although we do tend to be going through when it's not rush hour.

Right now google maps says 1h55m A432 route as opposed to 2h18m via A40/D1504 - this is from Macon to Chambery.

Me too, sometimes we are the only car on some sections
ski holidays
195062 wrote:
@Layne, Quicker to go A39, rather than Macon, if using the D1504. Knocks about 10 miles off according to AA Route Planner.

Dijon > Chambery

A432 is 301km / 2h 57m (as of now)
A39/D1504 is 272km / 3h 9m

So yeah for sure shorter but I can't see it being quicker, which is what the OP was wondering.

Not against the idea if people want a more interesting route. But generally for us we'll be driving very early morning one way and late evening the other so would go the simpler motorway route. And I am wondering if people are thinking pre A432 days when it certainly could be a bit glitchy.
snow conditions
Quicker: Totally depends on traffic, if the autoroute is gridlocked then yes
Shorter: Yes
More fun to drive: Definitely

and the view of the Lac du Bourget with the mountains behind as you emerge from the Tunnel du Chat - AMAZING!!
snow report
what was the verdict ?
ski holidays
@stefoy4me,

50 miles shorter and 20 euros cheaper about 10 mins longer but that’s without problems on the motorway , however on transfer day I could easily see this also be v slow . If the roads are good and you go down the A6 you won’t be taking this route but if things are busy and you aim for Bresse it would be sone thing to consider depending on traffic , weather and time . Worth doing .
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy