Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pedestrian in Chamonix valley

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

Booked tunnel crossing for NY week and now trying to settle on destination.

Me, Mrs ST, 18, 15 yr old. Mrs ST can’t ski due to recent hip replacement and metal work in ankle from a break which really needs taking out.

Anyway, question is, if we headed for Cham is there a cost effective way (eg a pass) that could get her on cable cars, bubbles, even the train up the mountains to meet us for lunch a few days?

Or are we just better off skiing down to a) save the hassle and cost of her getting up and b) better restaurants at the base anyway?

Cham seems a good choice as self catered seems better VFM than say 3Vs and the good lady can transfer us to the satellite stations and then find some more interesting stuff to do around town etc.

Any thoughts on tickets, eateries etc gratefully received.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Posts from Chamonix locals here don't give very good reviews on the mountain restaurants, maybe the pedestrian could plan to meet you with a picnic lunch, don't know about lift passes though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just follow UANN around. He's a man who doesn't stint on his choice of eateries.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You wouldn’t generally ski down the home runs from most areas in the Chamonix valley other than at the end of the day from memory (I mean you can, but they’re long and narrow tracks in many cases, I think - certainly Brevent and Flegere anyway). It’s generally as case of once you’re up, you’re up.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There used to be (and maybe still is) a pass called something like the “gourmand” which entitles you to get its value rebated in food, I.e. e20 pass and you get e20 of (somewhat overpriced, low quality) food with it.

No idea if it still exists or will next season!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The on slope restaurants at the central areas aren't great - but Less Houches and Le Tour/Vallorcine have independent places, which are much better.

A must do - le Café Comptoir at Vallorcine. Booking essential! A pedestrian can take the train to the station in Vallorcine, from where it's a very short walk. Skiers can either download, or ski straight to the front door of the restaurant if the run is open (snow cover allowing). No ski pass needed for pedestrians as it's at the base.

Can she snowshoe? There are some nice trails around Les Houches, not far from main lift, and giving easy access to restaurants. Decent views up there too. Easy views without snowshoes - take the Bellevue cable car, and La Chalette is right there beside the top station. Food isn't exciting from memory - but good views on a clear day, with virtually no walking at all needed, and easy to ski to/from. I believe there are specific pedestrian passes available, but couldn't tell you how much.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Most areas do a pedestrian/snow shoe/walking pass for non ski access. I've not local data for that, someone will be along that has up to date information I'm sure.

Locations, base at La Tour has decent terrace/food service meetup place. Lifting to meet, Brevent is really nice up on the platue to meet and some of the best views to see the whole valley and mt blanc area as it's on the opposite side of the valley. Accessible to highest point there in cable car if pedestrian travel available, it's a pretty spectacular view there and well worth it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Ski Tyke, pedestrian up and down looks to be €19.50. TBH, I'm not a huge fan of the CdMB operated restaurants and other than the Prarion above Les Houches, the few independents aren't really walkable if you aren't fit/fully mobile. That said, top of Brevent (Le Panoramique) the views might compensate.

Base level is obviously different however, though conditions need to be pretty good to ski down.

But TBH, when my bro and family used to come out and the kids were young, they used to just ski Brevent, mostly and bubble down and up for lunch. Obviously not an extended liquid lunch!

But OTOH if you tend to do long mornings and late lunches, that could work.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all.

Think we’re going to go for it!

We’ve already explained to her that we expect a cake every day when we get back to the apartment, so asking for her to bring a picnic up the mountain too might be pushing it!! snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy