Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UCPA Flaine 12-19 March

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello just wondering if anyone else is going to Flaine 12-19 March for the UCPA improver week? Haven't skied in years and am nearly 50, hoping I'll meet some nice folks to have dinner with, etc. I'm going by myself as the husband has dodgy knees and no interest in skiing. In fact meeting him was the reason I stopped originally but I can't be held back any longer Very Happy !!!

If anyone has any experience with Flaine, UCPA or the improver weeks I'd love to hear it. Also wondering if there's anywhere in the resort for an introvert to hide out and get a bit of downtime Cool ?

Also wondering how easy it is to self transfer from Geneva Airport as the shared transfers apparently might nit be running this year. Looks like I'd take a train to Cluses from the airport and then there's 6 shuttle buses a day. Looks do-able?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've not done an Improver course, but have stayed at Flaine UCPA. I can't answer many of your questions above, but if you want further info on anything relating to the Flaine UCPA Centre or the general UCPA set-up, feel free to ask or message me.

In general, UCPA centres will mostly be full of young people who like to drink. Nights can therefore be noisy and the Flaine centre in particular seems to have very poor sound insulation. I'd recommend taking ear plugs if you're anything but a heavy sleeper. I'd also recommend taking your own pillow - I'm not usually fussy, but really don't get on with the UCPA ones. Also, you'll need to take your own towel.

The rooms in the Flaine centre are getting a little tired, but they're functional. The communal spaces have been more recently refurbished and are a more pleasant place to spend time. There is a door at the end of the main bar area that leads to another communal room that tends to be quieter than the main bar area. When I was last there it was separated into two further rooms, one with table tennis and one just with chairs/tables.

I assume you know the deal with UCPA - food is buffet style (with reasonable choice) and you take your plates/cutlery back and wipe down your own table after each meal. There's only water available at dinner, but you can get a glass of wine or something from the bar to take through.

You make up your beds on arrival and need to clean your room before you leave. I've used UCPA 3 times now and always found my room needed a bit more of a clean on arrival, but perhaps I'm just fussy.

All UCPAs vary, but both times I've been to the Flaine centre there have been plenty of people who speak English, so (assuming like most Brits you don't speak much French) you should find it easy to speak to people there and find other guests to spend time with.

For the money, I think the UCPA offering is fantastic.

If you search the forum there is a fair bit of info about UCPA and also a review of the Flaine centre here https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3219489&highlight=ucpa#3219489
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@tanyastories, hope you enjoy Flaine, ive been to the UCPA there 3 times, i think its brilliant. My thoughts based on 2019 memories (things might have moved on)

+1 everything @milzibkit said, last time i found the bar quieter than the previous two. The pichet de vin rouge was €10 for a litre and great, they do smaller ones i think

If youre looking for a change of scenery then the White Pub isnt too manic early in the evening, and i always miss a UCPA dinner for TartiPizza in the forum (Brasserie les Cimes, i think).

You used to able to get a session in the spa next door either included / discount (cant recall) so swimmers and beach towel or you can hire the towel.

Hope you have a great time and have good weather: mont blanc views are epic when the suns out!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you both so much for the really helpful "warts and all" responses - and it's great to hear that overall UCPA Flaine has been brilliant and fantastic. I'm so looking forward to being back on skis I can't even tell you.

Earplugs are definitely going in the suitcase - husband is a loud snorer so at least I have lots of practice wearing them.

The spa sounds heavenly as does the more quiet room off the bar. And the linked review thread was also very helpful.

I'm looking to see if I can rope another woman in to go along and share a twin so if anyone reading this is interested please give me a shout!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy