Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which area in La Plagne? Jan 2023

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of going back to La plagne next season, and wondering where to stay. So a bit of advice please
1 Must have ski-in ski-out accommodation. This is probably our most important criteria
2 arriving by train, either bourg or aime, from Paris so easy transfers, bus/short taxi etc
3 good access to the resort. He was thinking Belle Plagne, I thought Plagne Centre.

We are good skiers, like the whole area, will ski Les arcs and La Plagne during the week. Nightlife is NOT important. Happy to look at apartments or hotel, chalet hotel too, but likely to book independently as most places don’t like booking the trains.

I want a snapshot (demanding I know. Very Happy ) of positives/negatives of the areas.

We’ve stayed at Terra Nova before, access was amazing tbh but want somewhere else. Also stayed in montchauvin, so I’m not adverse to Les Cloches either.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We stayed in the Hotel Belle Plagne 2100 last year. It's not a fancy hotel, but the food was good and rooms were fine. There's a good ski room with lockers.

What really made it was that it is truly ski in / ski out of the terrace, onto a piste with enough gradient not to have to pole.

https://www.vacancesbleues.fr/en/la-plagne/hotel-belle-plagne
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Les Coches

Short transfer up the mountain
Good tree skiing - useful in Jan
Great local skiing
Easy access to both Les Arcs/La Plagne
All accommodation gives easy access to the lifts
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We liked Les Coches too for its easy access to Les Arcs, though it's actually a little bit of a trek to the main La Plagne bowl and back. And as @Layne says, when the weather closes in as it can in January there are still local runs to do circuits of. I got the impression almost all accommodation is within a few yards of a piste.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also thinking Plagne Soliel too. That looks central.
Probably thinking self catering, but want a real double bedroom, not an alcove in the corner Very Happy
We had a perfect apartment last year for just £650 but not in this resort. So I’m struggling where to find the best balance between value and what we want. Value is not about cheap, it’s about meeting criteria as we know skiin ski out is more £ as are large resorts. But they suit us
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Lucywuk,
You could just stay in BSM?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lucywuk wrote:
Also thinking Plagne Soliel too. That looks central.
Probably thinking self catering, but want a real double bedroom, not an alcove in the corner Very Happy
We had a perfect apartment last year for just £650 but not in this resort. So I’m struggling where to find the best balance between value and what we want. Value is not about cheap, it’s about meeting criteria as we know skiin ski out is more £ as are large resorts. But they suit us

I stayed in Plagne Soleil years ago - my Daughter was a toddler and now she's 30 Shocked . From what I remember, we liked it. I think it hadn't been long built at the time. IIRC it's quite near Plagne Village (which we stayed in before Kids arrived).

If going again, it would probably be Belle Plagne.....but more recently, we have always stayed on the Les Arcs side, as we prefer the skiing there.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kenzie wrote:
@Lucywuk,

Did you see the number 1 criteria? Must be ski in ski out.

Trying to picture the resort rather then the flat piste map. If that makes sense
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kenzie wrote:
@Lucywuk,

Did you see the number 1 criteria? Must be ski in ski out.

Trying to picture the resort rather then the flat piste map. If that makes sense
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Personally think most of the villages in the main part of the domain are much of a muchness.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Having skied in La Plagne a few times I would decided which side of the Colossas lift you want to be on. This was always where there was a queues to get back across. We normally ski half term so maybe not an issue for when you will be there.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
From most of Plague Soleil you would ski out to the Bergerie lift if you want the Bellecote / Les Arcs direction, which often has queues first thing. (If right at the top of the village you may be able to get the Dou du Praz drag lift instead.)

For ease of travel in multiple directions I prefer Belle Plagne. Bellecote is also quite convenient but requires a walk up to the lifts so not truly ski-out.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Layne wrote:
Personally think most of the villages in the main part of the domain are much of a muchness.

Very much agree with this, I don’t think there’s any one particular area of La Plagne I’d hang my hat on over the others except for Belle Plagne and Centre have more options for food and drink of an evening.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I quite like Les Coches. It's a bit of a sleepy backwater but the accommodation is ok and it has a shop and a couple of restaurants. It feels very relaxed.

The worst walk you'll get from anywhere to a piste is 2 mins and the access to Les Arcs is excellent. If you are fast, you can do Montalbert, Bellcote, Villaroger and the Aiguille Rouge in a day.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
we stayed in a catered chalet just outside La Plagne centre twice. Ski in/out, walk to the bars in an evening along the piste, not fancy but decent enough standard and everyone had a great trip, the only reason we didn't go back a third time was the price jumped up a lot post Brexit. Nice (british) guy runs the company, good service and I'm sure they'd arrange a transfer from the station for you or put you in touch with someone reliable. www.alpoholics.co.uk , they have a few chalets but we booked Yogi out for a small group. It's still my sister in laws favourite ski place.
snow report
richb67 wrote:
we stayed in a catered chalet just outside La Plagne centre twice. Ski in/out, walk to the bars in an evening along the piste, not fancy but decent enough standard and everyone had a great trip, the only reason we didn't go back a third time was the price jumped up a lot post Brexit. Nice (british) guy runs the company, good service and I'm sure they'd arrange a transfer from the station for you or put you in touch with someone reliable. www.alpoholics.co.uk , they have a few chalets but we booked Yogi out for a small group. It's still my sister in laws favourite ski place.

Looks lovely although my husband isn’t massively keen on a chalet option. Doesn’t like being socialable with random strangers. We’ve done it a few times, some good, some less so and last year went back to self catering apartment and actually loved just blobbing about without conversation Eh oh! we had a great TV with Netflix. It was covid times and we went the day everything reopened for us brits, but tbh it was lovely being anti social f&&&ers and walking around in our pants post ski Eh oh! although I cooked, it wasn’t like family cooking it was simple and easy so thinking apartment again
ski holidays
Lucywuk wrote:

Looks lovely although my husband isn’t massively keen on a chalet option. Doesn’t like being socialable with random strangers.

That's exactly how Lady F feels.
snow conditions
Old Fartbag wrote:
Lucywuk wrote:

Looks lovely although my husband isn’t massively keen on a chalet option. Doesn’t like being socialable with random strangers.

That's exactly how Lady F feels.

Lol rolling eyes Very Happy
ski holidays
Lucywuk wrote:
richb67 wrote:

Looks lovely although my husband isn’t massively keen on a chalet option. Doesn’t like being socialable with random strangers. We’ve done it a few times, some good, some less so and last year went back to self catering apartment and actually loved just blobbing about without conversation Eh oh! we had a great TV with Netflix. It was covid times and we went the day everything reopened for us brits, but tbh it was lovely being anti social f&&&ers and walking around in our pants post ski Eh oh! although I cooked, it wasn’t like family cooking it was simple and easy so thinking apartment again

tbh me neither re chalets, we prefer self catering Smile the chalet worked well when it was a group and we pretty much did as you described re netflix etc
ski holidays
sugarmoma666 wrote:
We stayed in the Hotel Belle Plagne 2100 last year. It's not a fancy hotel, but the food was good and rooms were fine. There's a good ski room with lockers.

What really made it was that it is truly ski in / ski out of the terrace, onto a piste with enough gradient not to have to pole.

https://www.vacancesbleues.fr/en/la-plagne/hotel-belle-plagne

We rent an appartment last season at Belle Plagne and this season we booked Belle Plagne's Vacances Bleues Hotel.... It's very welll located
ski holidays
1850 for me because it has my restaurant in the Alps (Le Petit Chaperon Rouge) and probably my favourite bar (La Mine). May not be particularly interesting to OP, but to anyone else researching where to stay-these two could make an ordinary week quite memorable on their own.
Ski in/out is a little bit limited. You can certainly ski back to a lot of the chalets when there's snow if you're moderately competent. The main issue is that you have to take a lift out of resort in the morning and that's up to one of the busy areas, so you do lose a bit of time, but definitely worth it. I've done seasons in 3V but now I return to LP1850 every year.
snow conditions
At La Plagne, chairlifts will be slowed down to save electricity this winter (4m/s instead of 5m/s): https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/auvergne-rhone-alpes/savoie/stations-de-ski-a-la-plagne-les-telesieges-vont-etre-ralentis-pour-economiser-de-l-electricite-2609440.html
snow conditions
thierryd wrote:
At La Plagne, chairlifts will be slowed down to save electricity this winter (4m/s instead of 5m/s): https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/auvergne-rhone-alpes/savoie/stations-de-ski-a-la-plagne-les-telesieges-vont-etre-ralentis-pour-economiser-de-l-electricite-2609440.html

yep best ski somewhere else
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy