Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone had their ski bag opened and inspected by Easyjet?

Poster: A snowHead
Unlike, say, Jet2 (who let you book in a ski bag with a weight of up to 23kg - plenty for a couple of pairs of skis and some other gear) Easyjet specify a single, itemised, piece of 'sports equipment' per passenger. Presumably this is to make more money, although they say it's due to 'carrier regulations'. Their site says nothing about the items being in a bag, or about max weight, which seems strange.

The pertinent question is, how do they enforce this? Do they ask for a look inside your bag at the desk before sending you off to the oversize area to hand it over? Something else? Nothing? I'd be curious to hear from others who've taken skis via Easyjet. Cheers!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not taken skis for a while but have taken them on EJ before and they have never looked inside, nor have BA for that matter. They only seemed concerned with weight but not really dimensions either.

Why? Looking to pull a stroke?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ster wrote:

Yes, exactly. When I take a child skiing I stick their skis in my bag rather then having an extra bag for them to lug. It also saves money! It's never been an issue with any other airline, but I've never taken skis with Easyjet, and just discovered their funny rules whilst browsing for flights.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Never had a bag opened - was told by Air Canada, who have the same regulation, that it relates to insurance, stops people claiming 15 pairs of La Croix with diamante encrusted bindings being in the bag.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Never had a bag opened - was told by Air Canada, who have the same regulation, that it relates to insurance, stops people claiming 15 pairs of La Croix with diamante encrusted bindings being in the bag.

Lol. I bet someone has actually tried that!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've taken skis on Easyjet 15+ times in the last 5/6 years and never had them question the contents of the ski bag.

This page shows the 20kg weight limit for skis...

http://www.easyjet.com/en/help/baggage/sports-equipment
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Last time I took a ski bag on Easyjet (2017?), there was no other option than self-service check-in at the machine, so the only person to see the bag before it disappeared for loading was the handler on oversize baggage, and they don't give a monkeys what's in there. There was a specified max weight though – 23kg sounds about right.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers all that's good to know!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Never had a bag checked - and I flew with a 'ski bag' a couple of weeks ago Gva - Birm. It was floppy and clearly had no skis in it (did have other ski stuff in though), but the desk agent didn't care. Just got weighed and sent to oversized baggage as normal.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@fixx, a bit late now wink but for anyone transporting a “ski bag” sans skis, we figured out when sending a visitor back this way (skis lived in the spare room for a bit) that if you fold the bag over and wrap a strap around it, it will be small enough to travel as a standard bag, with associated reduced cost.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
greengriff wrote:
ster wrote:

Yes, exactly. When I take a child skiing I stick their skis in my bag rather then having an extra bag for them to lug. It also saves money! It's never been an issue with any other airline, but I've never taken skis with Easyjet, and just discovered their funny rules whilst browsing for flights.

That’s exactly what I do. wink Best effort to date is four pairs in one bag (one was a kids pair and all were sans bindings so they came under the weight limit).

I dont really care about the insurance issue as they are not really worth much as they have been mostly second hand, in any case will claim on the most expensive pair if anything happened)

And none of the check in staff have cared enough to check whats in the bag, and thats despite four travelling with only one ski bag meant to contain one pair.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nah, its all a pitch about limiting liability - you'll probably see that it also says it can only contain skis or snowboard, but we all pack coffin bags with clothes and stuff. You might also see that they specify hard cases only to get around any damage done by the chuckers - you try finding a hardcase for a snowboard!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I`ve never flown with Easyjet but I had a precedent with an English airline
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
You might also see that they specify hard cases only to get around any damage done by the chuckers - you try finding a hardcase for a snowboard!

You were saying?...... Sportube Series 3. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've never had skis damaged by the chuckers but they did rip a bag once.
snow conditions
musher wrote:
I've never had skis damaged by the chuckers but they did rip a bag once.

Then you get a free new bag gratis of the airline. I’ve had two so far.
snow report
@ster,
The hoops I had to jump through to get any money out of Lufthansa wasn't worth it. I just got the gaffer tape out
latest report
musher wrote:
@ster,
The hoops I had to jump through to get any money out of Lufthansa wasn't worth it. I just got the gaffer tape out

I guess thats what they rely on, making it very difficult. Strange for a full service airline though to be like that.

EJ, which is who I claimed on, surprisingly weren't too bad even when their ground rep at Verona refused to record the damage so I just took pix and contacted EJ direct.
latest report
@Whitegoldsbrother, You must have a cupboard full of precedents by now Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
You can put as much as you want in the bag and pool weight across your luggage as long as it doesn’t exceed 32 kg for a single bag. I carry two pairs of skis no issue.
snow report
@ster,
Yes, one of our customers (about 8 to 10 years ago) wanted to claim against the transfer company for a bag containing two pairs of skis that was lost between the hotel and the airport (so nothing to do with the airline). Guest Relations let them start the ball rolling but then put a (ski?) boot in because the guests had only booked one set of ski carriage. . . . .
latest report
Sleazy just about the most expensive way of transporting skis at £74 return.
snow report
Snowsartre wrote:

I think Ryanair hold that crown at £90 return.
snow conditions
@adithorp, Shocked Shocked Shocked to be honest, I have never considered flying Ryanair so not looked at their website...
ski holidays
I get ask what is in the bag, but never actually asked to open it.
ski holidays
adithorp wrote:
Snowsartre wrote:

I think Ryanair hold that crown at £90 return.

Either Way, it is clever pricing. Knowing you have to pay, or pay more to rent in resort!
latest report
@Mr.Egg, smarter still is to fly with an airline such as Lufthansa whom I pay £115-130 to fly to MUC skis and hold baggage included.
latest report
And to return to the OP, I have never been asked to open either my single or double ski Sportubes and that is a fair few flights over the past decade with a wide-range of carriers (including easyjet) in Europe and North America. You will be fine.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’ve never had a ski bag open by an airline, but I assume they are all x-rayed once dropped off. The baggage handlers at Geneva once somehow broke the lock on the double Ski-Tube I was using at the time, so it had slid open, but nothing had fallen out.

The only time I’ve been requested to open a bag was a Tokyo, where there was obviously something else going on, as the oversized bags took an hour to turn up, then everyone with a ski bag had to open it for customs to give it a cursory glance before they could leave arrivals.
ski holidays
Snowsartre wrote:
@Mr.Egg, smarter still is to fly with an airline such as Lufthansa whom I pay £115-130 to fly to MUC skis and hold baggage included.

Then I would have to get to somewhere Lufthansa operate to in the UK..
London would be an extra 100+ miles each way for example. I'd rather pay an extra £70 just to avoid 3hours extra driving.
snow report
PowderAdict wrote:
I’ve never had a ski bag open by an airline, but I assume they are all x-rayed once dropped off.

Which is usually handled by the airport operator or outsourced to someone like swissport. (unless it is T5 heathrow)
They are not going to know every airline different baggage policies & probably dont care what is in the luggage as long as it does not look suspicious.
snow report
@Scarlet, good tip!

Though my issue at the time was it was rescheduled flights from a cancelled winter, so a ski bag was already on the booking... (as well as an actual suitcase). I did have a chat with a nice person on the phone before flying to see if I could change to a normal suitcase. They were amused by the situation, but 'computer says no' response.

Anyway, it massively reassured me re. how much bags are checked - on the way out (empty) I just folded it up and put it inside a giant heavy duty carrier bag. Agents (Luton) didn't care in the slightest, as it was well within weight. On the way back I folded down the top third and strapped it to itself - and as mentioned it clearly didn't have skis in it, but was reasonably hefty (15kg I think?). Again, no one cared in the slightest. Phew!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 2-09-21 8:44; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I had my giant rollerski bag opened at Gatwick. It contained at least half a dozen pairs of skis & poles (some of them kids) and weighed 38kg - we already had a lot of stuff and keeping everything in one bag made transportation much easier. Fortunately I'd packed a spare lightweight ski bag and could transfer a couple of pairs out, to get the weight per-bag below 32kg. It did mean a trip back to the check in desk to get the spare bag tagged up.

All the handlers were concerned about was keeping the weight of each item below 32kg to comply with manual handling regulations, the number of skis etc. was an irrelevance.
snow report
@Snowsartre, So I can fly direct MAN-GEN with easyJet for on average £200 return including the ski and holdall, extra leg room+speedy boarding charges or I can fly Lufthansa via MUC (taking 1-1.5 hours longer) for much the same overall price (but skis are "free"...and it's usually more £). Which would you choose?
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
... for anyone transporting a “ski bag” sans skis, we figured out when sending a visitor back this way ...

I usually find it worthwhile paying for a seat in the passenger cabin! Very Happy
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:
Snowsartre wrote:

Then I would have to get to somewhere Lufthansa operate to in the UK..
London would be an extra 100+ miles each way for example. I'd rather pay an extra £70 just to avoid 3hours extra driving.

So you are the bloke driving at 33mph on the M4. I should have guessed Happy

But seriously, you do make a good point. Local and direct even if it costs a bit more.
latest report
@adithorp, I'd fly direct. The probability of a problem in a process is proportional to the number of steps squared. You could misconnect, your bags could misconnect etc. Once your bag is tagged and in the system, it's much harder to reroute if you need to (e.g. if the MAN-MUC flight was badly delayed but there was an option via Frankfurt, it's difficult to change).

Worst of all, what if you wanted to go to Geneva to ski, but your bag went to Oslo Gardermoen (GEN)? Happy
latest report
@adithorp, I think my original point related to paying £90 to put skis on Ryanair. I recognise and agree that price is not everything when choosing flights. Equally true is airport proximity, I would not travel to Manchester to fly to Europe even if flights were half price: opportunity cost etc kicks in. I don’t enjoy flying with easyJet per se but rather view it sometimes as a necessary evil - for example to reduce down transfer times - I fly with them to Innsbruck for that reason on occasion but generally I prefer to drive an extra hour and fly to Munich not least because car hire is much better value than other locations I could fly to. In short, I agree with you Very Happy
snow report
I had to open a bag at the Easyjet check in many many years ago to show there was only one pair of skis in it!!

Can't recall which airport it was, but it was on the way home.
snow report
Snowsartre wrote:

I've still got my £1 ski bag booked ( cancelled 3 times and rebooked so far ) for next year. Will be sticking a couple of pairs in.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy