Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mamay Valley, Siberia

Poster: A snowHead
Hooking up with some Russians for an early season ski touring trip to Mamay Valley, Siberia. Only bears and wolves for company. Apparently it gets a bit chilly so must remember to patch up the holes in my gloves!

Anyone done this or something similar?
http://www.smartmountains.ru/lake-baikal

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
didn't @weathercam, do something similar a couple of seasons back?

https://www.stylealtitude.com/skiing-in-siberia-luzhba-skitouring-lodge-skitour-feature.html
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
swskier wrote:
didn't @weathercam, do something similar a couple of seasons back?

https://www.stylealtitude.com/skiing-in-siberia-luzhba-skitouring-lodge-skitour-feature.html

Yes he did - but hadn’t read that article so thanks. Doesn’t look promising for airbag on Aeroflot!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You lucky bar steward

Have a great time
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks fantastic. Make sure you’re not the slowest runner in the group so the bears/wolves get someone else. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think I’m the fattest and slowest. Not a great combo in bear country Skullie
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
Apparently it gets a bit chilly so must remember to patch up the holes in my gloves!
Anyone done this or something similar?
Yes, I used ductape and it worked a treat Toofy Grin

Looks a fantastic trip. Make sure to post a trip report.

Is it easy enough to get into Russia in terms of covid requirements?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mountainaddict wrote:

Is it easy enough to get into Russia in terms of covid requirements?

Need a negative test in the 72 hours prior to arrival
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Test was negative. Just squeezed under the weight limit. Sorry pup…
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Forecast looks good, if bl00dy cold. Depart Irkutsk on Sunday…
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bloody hell Bob, that’s cold.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just had to google it to see where it was.

Map showed the location, and 1 river for reference. rolling eyes Looks like middle of bloody nowhere. I assume it's a guided tour?

How many days traveling just to get there?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@BobinCH this looks amazing, have a great trip.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BobinCH this looks amazing, have a great trip.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Very exciting. I shall enjoy sitting in a warm armchair reading about it.
snow report
brianatab wrote:
Just had to google it to see where it was.

Map showed the location, and 1 river for reference. rolling eyes Looks like middle of bloody nowhere. I assume it's a guided tour?

How many days traveling just to get there?

6 hour flight East from Moscow
latest report
Where's the bear spray? Toofy Grin wink
snow report
Looks like you're even further East than we were !

Don't forget, on trips like this, take your boots as hand luggage, as you don't want to loose those!!

If skis & clothing don't turn up you can usually get by, but boots can be more difficult.

Our journey we had the long flight East to Abakan and then a long bus trip to get to the railhead, and then a train into the middle of nowhere as the trails are not open in the Winter, and they have no roads to speak of.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 18-11-21 10:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
I think I’m the fattest and slowest. Not a great combo in bear country Skullie

Apparently bears relay want the liver and can sence which prey has the largest one... Toofy Grin
latest report
BobinCH, Looks amazing, have a great time and we'll need loads of pics / trip report Madeye-Smiley

Quote:

Apparently bears relay want the liver and can sence which prey has the largest one...

But do they like it pickled ?
latest report
Bones wrote:
BobinCH, Looks amazing, have a great time and we'll need loads of pics / trip report Madeye-Smiley

Quote:

Apparently bears relay want the liver and can sence which prey has the largest one...

If he's going with Russians, @BobinCH, might be Ok
snow conditions
adithorp wrote:
Bones wrote:

Quote:

If he's going with Russians, @BobinCH, might be Ok

Met the Russian team last night. Think I’m safe!
snow conditions
We brought along Ivan Drago for security

http://youtube.com/v/UqF1zzrrHIQ
latest report
DB wrote:
Where's the bear spray? Toofy Grin wink

Sod that
snow conditions
Laughing
latest report
@BobinCH, have you lost Putin's boys yet?

And obviously never been told "don't point a gun at someone even though you think it's not loaded" just ask Alec wink
snow report
Thank goodbess you are wearing safety glasses while handling that compact sub machine gun! Very Happy Very Happy

Put one in your hand luggage for me please...the bunnies around here are getting too quick for my dogs.
ski holidays
@BobinCH,
I hope you are a quick shot with that thing. Sod the bears, I just read Siberian tigers can reach almost 100 km/h.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Preparing for hut life hardship with some Beluga caviar
snow report
rungsp wrote:
Thank goodbess you are wearing safety glasses while handling that compact sub machine gun! Very Happy Very Happy

Put one in your hand luggage for me please...the bunnies around here are getting too quick for my dogs.

I think you want this AK 47…
snow report
One for the smelly fish collective…
ski holidays
Hmmm breaking trail might be interesting
snow report
How are you getting on with the endless rounds of toasting? That can be difficult for some Brits.

I was in Moscow for three winters and Mongolia for two; no real hills in the former and no real snow in the latter (too cold and dry).
ski holidays
Looks like an epic adventure! Thanks for sharing and I look forward to more updates.
latest report
@BobinCH, would be interested in hearing on the required level of experience, skills and fitness for this kind of adventure.
Enjoy it, ни пуха ни пера!
latest report
@bobinch not been to Siberia, but one of the greatest adventures I've had was in Russia, in the High North. Great time, true wilderness, and vodka!
snow report
@mooney058, I did it a few years ago and there is a link to the feature and video towards the top of the page, or click here.

You have to be pretty fit as you're doing two to three climbs a day, totalling about 1,200m.

Good experience of ski touring is also preferable as it can be very cold and if you end up faffing in the transitions others in the group will not appreciate that.

Plus skinning in deep powder even though the guide is breaking trail can be hard work, along with being in the forest so more kick-turns than usual, and obviously, you have to be able to ski powder and trees well, though I'm not too sure what the terrain is like where @BobinCH, is, though from the picture above could well be similar?

And of course good to be a hardened drinker if you end up drinking with the Ruskies Laughing
ski holidays
Orange200 wrote:
How are you getting on with the endless rounds of toasting? That can be difficult for some Brits.

I was in Moscow for three winters and Mongolia for two; no real hills in the former and no real snow in the latter (too cold and dry).

Surviving so far!
latest report
@Weathercam, thanks a lot, not for me then as I can hike 1500m with 12-15kg, but only starting ski touring and never did tough off-piste (Some in Gressoney and easy one in Japan).

As an ex Homo Sovieticus I can withstand some vodka drinking (my favourite cocktail in younger days was “deer eye” - 100ml of vodka and a cranberry Smile
Plus I can speak RU still pretty well so could judge guide’s/group’s mood Smile
snow report
@BobinCH, feck that looks like you're in civilisation ??!!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy