Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to start ski racing in UK?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all

New-ish skier, classic intermediate level, now very much interested in becoming a great skier and getting into racing. Currently mid-30s but very happy putting in the hours at the snow domes or dry slopes. Looking for somewhere to train and become a member of a regular club.

Based in central London, I've seen there are a few clubs at the key places, but they namely seem catered for young or experienced skiers.

Any tips or thoughts on how someone new to the sport but older can get involved.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@chrislondon, Hemel?

I’d have thought it’d be a junior level entry mainly but that they’d welcome anyone.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Markymark29 wrote:
@chrislondon, Hemel?

I’d have thought it’d be a junior-level entry mainly but that they’d welcome anyone.

I thought that but seems very child orientated. Must be others like me who are keen!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@chrislondon, I take it you have visited https://www.snowsportengland.org.uk/clubs-facilities/ and looked at all the clubs near you.

Yes, it's true that many clubs are only interested in children (the UK appears very bad at offering sports to adults compared to our continental neighbours) but I recall seeing some fairly senior racers from Aldershot over the years (https://www.goskigoboard.org.uk/directory/aldershot-senior-race-club). I have also done race training sessions at Milton Keynes in the past on a ad hoc basis.

Incidently, I have seen adults join our club (Midland) without any race experience and progress to enjoying racing at a senior level of club national even winning the the odd medal.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lots of adults train at Hemel with the race club, on a Monday night.
Yes the majority are kids, but still a fair number of adults and they do represent Hemel at the various dome and dry slope races.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
johnE wrote:
@chrislondon, I take it you have visited https://www.snowsportengland.org.uk/clubs-facilities/ and looked at all the clubs near you.

Yes, it's true that many clubs are only interested in children (the UK appears very bad at offering sports to adults compared to our continental neighbours) but I recall seeing some fairly senior racers from Aldershot over the years (https://www.goskigoboard.org.uk/directory/aldershot-senior-race-club). I have also done race training sessions at Milton Keynes in the past on a ad hoc basis.

Incidently, I have seen adults join our club (Midland) without any race experience and progress to enjoying racing at a senior level of club national even winning the the odd medal.

Yes, have seen that. But they only take on experienced, i.e people that can already train well.

Was hoping to find a club of people that trained together, and then say could progress to racing when ready.

Previously, I was a member of a cycling club, we trained together including race training, then when ready invited to race too.

Guess the demand just isn't there for this type of thing in UK.

Will just keep solo practising until ready I guess!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@chrislondon,
Ask around the University ski clubs - they may be OK for you to tag along.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@chrislondon, I don't know about near London, but there is a thriving circuit of senior and masters racers on the dry slope race program. Our club in Norwich welcomes anyone of any age and ability who wants to learn/train for racing, but obviously too far away for you.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The UK race coach educational material is copied, with permission, from Canada. There is a whole chapter in the Canadian manual on the importance of providing race training to adults with the payback that they can help out at higher level races for kids. The UK just deletes this chapter from the manual.

Maybe ask Hemel club what standard they require, people I know were not that good when they joined.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you can make it MK there's a great club there - https://skimkraceteam.wildapricot.org/

I'm at the same stage as you (intermediate), a little older at 45 - they cater to me very well - they're a top bunch there.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy