Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Switzerland strikes healthcare and pensions deal with Britain

Poster: A snowHead
It will allow eligible individuals travelling to either country to access necessary healthcare when abroad using a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or its UK successor, the Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC).

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-and-switzerland-strike-deal-to-secure-healthcare-access-and-other-benefits-for-citizens-living-and-travelling-abroad
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A landmark agreement : that gives citizens of both nations less rights than they had before. While this is welcome it seems Brexit all about papering up the cracks now.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 10-09-21 7:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Haggis_Trap, >While this is welcome Brexit all about papering up the cracks now.

Syntax!! I think you've lost a few words.

Agree, not as good as before but better than diddly squat.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@colinstone, well that's welcome news for those of us who ski in Switzerland on occasion. Almost as good as the health cover situation pre-Brexit, I suppose we should be thankful for small mercies....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
global uk continues to prove it's not as global as previously?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Alastair Pink, Almost as good as the health cover situation pre-Brexit,...
Not sure I follow. Isn't EHIC before the same as EHIC after?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@colinstone, After Brexit UK nationals with existing EHIC cards or the new GHIC cards had reciprocal health cover in the EU, but not Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland (which were covered pre-Brexit). So the new announcement restores Switzerland to the list of countries where the EHIC/GHIC will be recognised.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Alastair Pink, that is what I thought, so surely "as good as", not almost??
I have used EHIC in CH but there is a CHF92 flat rate charge for each month. Not refundable at all. So I normally just pay for the odd monitoring blood test a Lauterbrunnen surgery.

The GP doc, German, did my quarantine covid test last December at 1130, then at 1400 cut a lump out of a finger, under local, so it could heal during the week's Q. Just over 2 hours from request to scalpel!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
colinstone wrote:
@Alastair Pink, that is what I thought, so surely "as good as", not almost??

Well, "as good as" for Switzerland, but not for Norway or the other two countries. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We used our GHIC last week to get free Antigen Test to Return done at the local pharmacie in Verbier. So that saved us CHF 47 each, which was nice. The Agreement covers an omission that arose from being in such a hurry to Get Brexit Done that they conceded the existing flow-down from the EU27 to the EU+4 that up 'till then had made the EHIC valid in Switzerland. But at least they've rectified this omission in the end. For me, it's more a case of procedural advantages - showing the GHIC will streamline the treatment process, especially if you're being admitted to A&E, versus having to do it via travel insurance and pay out yourself, get receipts, and then reclaim from the insurer. If you've ever been involved in an on-piste accident serious enough to warrant heli-evac and A&E, then anything that streamlines the process at what is a very stressful time is extremely welcome. On this basis, I also always take out the daily CHF 5 assurance with the 4 Vallées skipass, as this similarly obviates getting a bill for the £100/minute (sic) heli-evac and the heli-doctor; having to pay it; and then reclaiming it from the travel insurer.

In theory, this should also make Europe-wide travel cover cheaper because the insurers no longer have to fund the bulk of any medical claims from Switzerland et al. By my reckoning, this hiked our policies about 12.5% (although it's always hard to be sure what the constituent factors in a premium are). Whether they actually return this saving or pocket it is uncertain, of course.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@colinstone, its for each ‘claim’ - bundle them up and send them all at once et voila!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
IIRC EHIC was never supposed to be accepted upfront in Switzerland, you had to pay and claim back (from DHSS?) later. I don't expect GHIC will be any different (but LaForet's Antigen experience may prove the opposite. Or the pharmacy just made a mistake).

Anyway, it's nice to know I won't have to drag myself back over the frontier if I come a cropper in Les Crosets this season! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
shep wrote:
IIRC EHIC was never supposed to be accepted upfront in Switzerland, you had to pay and claim back (from DHSS?) later. I don't expect GHIC will be any different (but LaForet's Antigen experience may prove the opposite. Or the pharmacy just made a mistake).

Anyway, it's nice to know I won't have to drag myself back over the frontier if I come a cropper in Les Crosets this season! Madeye-Smiley

You claimed your refund from the Swiss. It was a super-simple system, where you completed a form and sent off your receipts from the clinic with a copy of your EHIC card. The money you paid to the clinic or hospital was then refunded to your UK bank account. Hopefully the new system will be just as easy.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@telford_mike, thanks Blush
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I emailed the Verbier Pharmacie International to ask about the cost and they replied explicitly that Brits didn't need to pay anything. And when were were there, out of the 10 or so other people who had tests, at least 5 were obviously Brits. The assistant put our EHIC details into an online form of some kind and it seems pretty much a standard part of the process. It didn't look like a one-off mistake by the pharmacy or assistant. But yes, we were surprised because we were well-aware of the cessation of flow-down cover post-Brexit and that in theory, there was no reciprocal charge arrangement in place. But perhaps because Verbier is such a Brit-dominated resort, the Canton or even the Commune fund tests as an exception. We speculated that it might be in the Canton's interests to remove any barriers to visitors getting themselves tested i.e. much better to fund testing of potentially infected people than them being reluctant to get a check because of the cost.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 11-09-21 0:16; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
LaForet wrote:
Stuff

Only for tests though. For other treatments, normal rules apply.
ski holidays
@Nadenoodlee, its for each ‘claim’ - bundle them up and send them all at once et voila!

When I last used EHIC in 2 separate months in CH, I received bills of CHF 92 for each month. Then claims were sent to NHS Overseas Health in UK and refund paid to bank account. With the CH bills, no refund and OH explained that CH hadn't enacted their domestic law for the UK-CH refund process to work.
With other countries, eg FR, one again got all the costs back.
It has now changed. So you pay what a local would pay. So in FR there is a personal contribution of 20%, so that is what you pay.
I either pay it myself or use travel insurance. In a 36 hr hospital stay in Dec 2018, the 20% was €600. The hospital accounts took my Nationwide Bank Account Travel Insurance details and billed NW direct. I had contacted NW for approval etc.

Last year I was in FR hospital Urgences for a "metabolic anomaly" and just paid the 20%, around €100. Received a letter from the hospital a couple of months back refunding €65 to my FR bank account.

And with Nationwide there is no policy excess for treatment in a public hospital.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 11-09-21 8:03; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@telford_mike, >You claimed your refund from the Swiss.

I would be very interested in further details on this?? Never heard of it before.
snow conditions
@colinstone, just email it to the KVG or LAMAL depending on your language skills and they process it usually within a week - i had 50k of bills last year done this way (the chunky hospital ones done directly with presentation oF EHIC thank god)
snow report
colinstone wrote:
@telford_mike, >You claimed your refund from the Swiss.

I would be very interested in further details on this?? Never heard of it before.

It works really well. You pay the first CHF92 of any claim, and you get the rest back. https://www.kvg.org/en/domicile-in-eu-efta-_content---1--1046.html
ski holidays
@telford_mike,
So still confused.
I used my EHIC in a public hospital A&E/out patients, paid out nothing, and sometime later got the CHF92 bill.
So what else is being paid for?? Private hospital /clinic and the daily CHF15??

The only way I fear to get the CHF 92 back is on travel insurance.

And now UK isn't "Domicile in EU/EFTA" .
latest report
@colinstone, in our case it was the private clinic in Wengen, and a private dentist.
snow report
That is really excellent news!

My experience is simple:
Go to doctor/hospital...show EHIC
Get all the treatment in a quick and efficient manner.
A bill for chf92 for whatever it is, no more but no less. Sore throat = 92, inpatient surgery=92

Consequently we never bother with travel insurance, I'm perfectly happy to risk 92.
(I do have on-mountain insurance via the lift pass)
snow report
@rungsp, no repatriation cover?
Admiral were sodding useless with my mums flight back post Stroke last year. She needed nursing support for the flight home but they couldn't work out how to do it woth quarantine covid rules. In the end i arranged it myself and sent them the bill which they paid along with a ‘gesture of goodwill’. Swiss flying nurses ain't cheap!
snow report
@Nadenoodlee, I bet they aren't. Insurers can be bloody-minded sometimes. When we had a car problem RAC arranged to have the car taken to a Nissan dealer 100km away. There's one in Briancon, but they insisted there wasn't. I even gave them the address. They were supposed to provide a hire car, but couldn't find one within the specified distance. There are three airports in that distance, and two car hire companies at Briancon station. They couldn't find us a taxi that would take the dogs to the vets and then didn't know if we would get out car back in time to go home. But they would arrange flights and repatriation of the dogs and for us to fly back to collect the car when it was repaired, but not a taxi fare for hubby to travel alone to collect the car, or for the garage to bring it back.They even told him to catch a train that didn't exist at the time due to a recent landslip. And where was the taxi to the airport that would take the dogs? The cost of that would have been huge, but they couldn't pay petrol money for someone to take us to vets and to collect car. Complaint didn't get anywhere.
snow conditions
@rungsp, >Consequently we never bother with travel insurance, I'm perfectly happy to risk 92.

For something simple e.g. routine blood test, I just cough up at the Lauterbrunnen surgery as that is less than CHF92.
Even a foot xray last winter was just over CHF100 and not worth the hassle of going to Interlaken.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy