Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

EHIC

Poster: A snowHead
Discussion about insurance and Covid prompted me to check the EHIC situation. This guidance https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/apply-for-a-free-uk-global-health-insurance-card-ghic/
says existing cards are valid and you can't apply for a new one until 6 months before they expire.

This guidance from Which https://www.which.co.uk/money/insurance/travel-insurance/the-ehic-explained-ax26s1s8vwqc corroborates that and suggests that as far as France and Austria are concerned, Brexit has changed nothing. But the EHIC no longer provides any cover in Switzerland (and some other countries, including Norway).

Although we are all fretting about Covid we are more likely to need hospitalisation in France because of a skiing accident, an RTA or general illness, including pre-existing conditions which might not be covered by travel insurance.

I'm feeling reassured by this guidance - but it would be helpful to hear from anybody who has used an EHIC card.

Can it be true that Brexit has changed nothing in this regard? Is this just a teeny bit of good news, amidst the encircling gloom?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, you continue to access health care at the same level and rate as a "local".

But it's no substitute for insurance of course. EU health care is not necessarily free-at-the-point-of-service, as it is with the NHS.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@pam w,
Quote:

Can it be true that Brexit has changed nothing in this regard? Is this just a teeny bit of good news, amidst the encircling gloom?

Looks like it, apart from the Switzerland bit. Presumably the only downside is what it's always been, namely the risk that you'll get carted off to a private clinic, where the EHIC won't work, in the first instance. IIRC, my brother-in-law, who suffered severe injuries in Meribel, was taken to Moutiers first, where the hospital is private (though luckily he was covered by travel insurance and the insurers paid up) but then to Chambery, where his EHIC did work.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
GHIC/EHIC is valid in Switzerland now, has been since 1st November.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@BoardieK, oh, great. That's good to know.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
Discussion about insurance and Covid prompted me to check the EHIC situation. This guidance https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/apply-for-a-free-uk-global-health-insurance-card-ghic/
says existing cards are valid and you can't apply for a new one until 6 months before they expire.

That’s a little good news for a change.
And this thread prompted me to check the expiry of my EHIC….Sept 2020 !
So, thanks for the prompt Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Red Leon, Shocked Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Red Leon, when I tried to renew my EHIC which expired in January, it only allowed me to apply for the GHIC which is what I now have.
@BoardieK, that is really useful to know, thank you.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
motyl wrote:
@Red Leon, when I tried to renew my EHIC which expired in January, it only allowed me to apply for the GHIC.

Same here.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, that's what the guidance very clearly flags. GHIC has wider coverage than EHIC, so it's a good thing, I guess.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you are in the French-speaking part of Switzerland, be aware that the GHIC is referred to as your «assurance», which can cause some confusion. We got our return tests done for free in Verbier in August by showing our GHIC*, but we were asked for «assurance» and initially thought they meant our travel insurance. In fact, it turned out we didn't even need the physical card itself - just the data that's on it.

And as ever, it's always worth making sure you have it on you, not back at your apartment/hotel. Even if you take out the skipass «assurance» (so many assurances) to streamline the heli-evac process, having the GHIC on you at A&E will also streamline the admissions process at what is going to be a stressful time.

Might as well take a screenshot too - all a health administrator is interested in is the data on it, not the physical GHIC plastic. It would be neat if it could be scanned into my Apple Wallet, but I don't think it can.

*Clairification : That was then: they now charge. CHF 49 at the time without a GHIC.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 7-12-21 20:53; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@LaForet, there used to be a phone app for the card (or at least there was for Android). I think you had to physically enter the details though
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I applied for the families GHICS a couple of months ago - very fast turnaround, I think it was under a week!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
One of my son's has just applied to renew his, and they are asking for proof of UK residency, utility bills etc, etc. He lives with us, the bill payers, but is a taxpaying working, UK citizen. Tax is PAYE so he gets an annual P60, nothing more recent.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So with thE GHIC card you can get free PCR tests to return to UK? Is that correct?
ski holidays
Puzzled where did you see that?
ski holidays
I thought that was said above when someone returned from Verbier
snow report
I've not seen that, but then nobody can keep up with all the threads, at the moment. Just seems intrinsically unlikely.... be very nice if it were true.
ski holidays
The Verbier pharmacies were giving antigen tests for free this summer/autumn (we were asked for passports but not EHIC/GHIC), but they are now charging (about CHF45 for antigen tests).
snow report
Antigen tests are still free in the UK of course - but not the sort you can use for crossing international borders.
ski holidays
GrumpyM wrote:
I thought that was said above when someone returned from Verbier

Apologies - I phrased it badly: at the time (August), a GHIC got you a free lateral flow test in Verbier. But it seems that's no longer the case and you'd now have to pay the fee, which at the time was CHF 49.
ski holidays
@Hurtle,
I had to go to Urgences at Moûtiers four or five years ago where they took some rays of my wrist and sent me to Albertville. Moûtiers did not bill me as such, it was included in the daily rate at Albertville which included all theatre time and medications.
After presenting my EHIC the billing was quite simple:
2 forfait journalier at €18 each
1 forfait journalier de sortie at €18
1 forfait participation at €18 - grand total that I paid was €72.
Without the EHIC the daily rate in the surgery unit would have been a modest €1383 (all inclusive).

However, getting back on track, I suspect that your brother-in-law's visit to Moûtiers was billed on the basis that he was getting x-rays and some care without being admitted to Moûtiers or Albertville so probably was on a different tariff.
ski holidays
@Nemisis, I'm not sure, he was in Moutiers for a day or two.
snow conditions
My only experience of using an EHIC card was in Austria before Brexit after breaking my arm. All covered for x-rays and treatment without any other problems or costs. The ambulance crew did say I might get a bill at home for my recovery off the mountain and ambulance but I never did.
ski holidays
After reading this thread, I just realised that my EHIC had expired, only in August so I hadn’t needed it to travel.

I’ve just renewed in about 2 mins, and got a GHIC.

WARNING: There are still many EHIC/GHIC Service websites out there, that will charge you for this free service on the basis that they will check your application.

This one is a prime example, and they want to liberate £34.50 Shocked

Only go via the genuine Government website: https://www.gov.uk/global-health-insurance-card
ski holidays
I applied for my GHIC earlier this year, everyone else in the family still has a valid EHIC. Mine was refused twice! I really don't know why but they said they had no proof I lived in the UK, even after sending evidence in they refused it again. I find it rather strange when I have always lived in the UK and never had a problem with the EHIC. Just a heads up to allow a bit more time if you are applying.
latest report
Did you get it in the end, @mah?
snow conditions
Yes, third time lucky after sending pretty much every document I have to them and an email asking why they thought I didn't live in the UK I had a reply saying application successful. Baffling as to why they didn't like it the first or second time.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mah, first son having same problem, mine and hubby's went through first time. Second son needs to get one still.
snow report
I applied at the beginning of October and have heard nothing.
ski holidays
Mr and Mrs Skitrack applied for their GHICs last Wednesday (after seeing this thread) - Both of them arrived yesterday

@FrediKanoute - I'd try re-applying, sounds like something got "lost"
ski holidays
I did and it came back saying that the application was in process. There are no numbers you can ring or anything. Wondering whether they asked for more information and it got lost in all the spam in my inbox
ski holidays
Same here, I applied on Wednesday 8th and it arrived today Tuesday 14th. I didn’t have to provide any additional information.
latest report
@FrediKanoute, Are you sure you used the genuine website, and not one of the scammers?
snow report
Yeah definitely a real website
snow report
I’ve used my GHIC card this week in Bourg with no issues. They asked to see EHIC or GHIC on admission, suggesting they are aware that both are equally valid.
I’m being packed on my way with all my notes, X-rays, scans, and paperwork fir travel (fitness to fly and antigen test provided here to).
The only hassle was waiting for my insurance company to catch up…
ski holidays
Quote:

Yeah definitely a real website

The scam websites are real ones, @FrediKanoute, but they ask you to pay a fee for a service which is actually free.
latest report
That's good to hear, @Tazz2bme - real world experience. Hope your trip home goes OK.
latest report
Whilst checking your EHIC expiry check your driving licence expiry as well ... Re-new on line and it takes a week for you to receive a new one. Any other way apparently the wait can be many weeks!
snow conditions
@Tazz2bme, Oh no what did you do? My wife was treated at BstM - we got the impression that their MRI/Cat scanner was new as everyone seemed to go through it Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy