Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What to do in Bardonecchia

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
My 14 year old daughter and myself are looking to go skiing in February half-term. I can't decide between Bardonecchia or Borovets. I'm concerned that there might not be much to do after skiing if we go to Bardonecchia while there seems to be sledging, snow mobiles, bowling, thermal baths in Borovets. But Bardonecchia looks very appealing! We are both first time skiiers and I am also not sure where tuition will be best.
Are footpaths generally cleared of snow in ski resorts?
What do people wear to breakfast on ski hols? Do they wear normal clothes and then get changed into salopettes etc or wear salopettes to breakfast?
Grateful for any advice!
Thank you
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to Snowheads, @JoanneLL. So much to go at in your question...... but for starters, my vote would be for Bardonecchia. We have reports here of very bad lift queues in Borovets at half term. Don't worry too much about what to do after skiing - you'll be exhausted, and just dying to get back out on the snow again next day. If in Bardonecchia the afternoon "passegiata" is entertaining - then back to your accommodation to put your feet up till dinner.

You will need good walking-type shoes with hefty soles - because no, footpaths will be no means always be cleared. And can be icy - crampons to stop you slipping can be helpful, though a nimble 14 year old probably scoff at such an elderly idea. Breakfast wear varies a lot - there are sometimes fairly ghastly sights of rather overweight skiers in Long Johns........ don't worry about all that, it'll sort itself out with commonsense. Ski hotels can be very hot - though they might not be able to afford the energy, this coming winter.

As for tuition, once you've decided where to go, there'll be some specific advice here. But all week ski school is definitely the best idea - assuming you won't be treating yourselves to private lessons. If you live near an indoor ski slope and can get some lessons beforehand you'll be able to skip the very preliminary stages and make faster progress - but that can be an expensive option. If you don't normally do much exercise involving leg strength, some ski-focussed preparation beforehand will make a big difference. Again, a fit 14 year old will just roll her eyes.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@JoanneLL,
Think you'll get more advice if you repost the question in 'The Pisye' forum - off-piste is a pretty specialized form of skiing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you for your lovely reply, you have made it sound even more exciting!
Thank you for answering my question about breakfast attire, I do worry about very strange things!
My daughter continually rolls her eyes at me so nothing new there, but one of my jobs is to be embarrassing.
Thank you again Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Moved this to The Piste (not the Pisye Toofy Grin )
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yoda wrote:
Moved this to The Piste (not the Pisye Toofy Grin )

I was keen to see what threads were in the Pisye forum section!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
If you live near an indoor ski slope and can get some lessons beforehand you'll be able to skip the very preliminary stages and make faster progress - but that can be an expensive option.

I'll further this, and also add, if you live near either an indoor slope or a dry ski slope have some lessons beforehand.

You can learn all the basics (and more) on a dry slope just like you can on an indoor slope, with the added bonus it'll cost you less money as well.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And a few lessons on a dry slope will give you a VERY good idea of just how keen you are. It's not easy, and harder to fall on than snow. But after a dry slope, even a piste with fairly crappy snow will seem wonderful.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Definitely a few lessons on a dry slope or dome will set you up to progress much quicker in the snow!

My vote would be Bardonecchia, though if you want more to do in the evenings I would consider sauze d'oulx, good for beginners, and a more lively vibe. Some of the hotels have pools as well

Whatever you do, book ski lessons when you decide to guarantee availability and avoid the bun fight nearer the time
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's been a long time since I've been to Borovets and I have never been to Bardonecchia, but I have been to other Italian resorts and occaionally stayed in ski hotels so here are my thoughts.

Borovets is a long way away with a long transfer from Sofia
As @pam w, says the lift queue in Borovets for the telecabine out of town was very long, usually over half an hour, but good natured and well behaved. I have no experience of the queues at Bardonecchia but suspect there may be a long queue to get out of town in the morning.
Italian food is a lot better than Bulgarian food (which I thought was terrible)
Borovets may have cleaned up its image in recent years but there was a live sex show in the Rila hotel. Fortuenately we were staying in a small hotel in the woods.
Beer and wine is less expensive in Bulgaria.
The woods around Borovets are beautiful and the Rila monestry is very beautiful.
I can make no comments on the quality of instruction in either resort, but this is probably very important for you and your daughter. Others will offer more advice on this.

Personally I would go to Bardonecchia.

Many people wear ordinary clothes for breakfast in ski hotels. Many wear ski clothes and some even put their jackets over the back of their chairs ready for a quick getaway immediately after the last cup of coffee. Do not worry about it.

The paths in ski resorts may or may not be cleared of snow and some may become icy. In fact in over 100 ski trips 25% of the accidents to our party have involved slipping on ice whilst walking to the bakery to get the bread and croissants in the morning.

I just wear my normal shoes while walking around the resort, but they are what are classed as "approach trainers" and are gortex. I do not wear crampons as I think the risk of tripping over them exceeds the risk of slippping on ice. and you would not be accepted into any shops or bars wearing them (you will also get some very strange looks).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I find well cleated shows more than adequate - you will of course also have ski poles and one of those to provide extra security may be a good idea. I dont know either resort but from my experience walking down hill on a snowy path can be quite hazardous and a pole just gives you an extra point of security
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I would like to have said "shoes" rather than "shows" but no clue as to how to edit a post
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
countryman wrote:
I would like to have said "shoes" rather than "shows" but no clue as to how to edit a post

right hand side of your post, next to the 'quote' box is a little box containing what could he scissors - click on that and you can do an edit (not the box with and X - that is the delete button !!)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
countryman wrote:
I find well cleated SHOES more than adequate - you will of course also have ski poles and one of those to provide extra security may be a good idea. I dont know either resort but from my experience walking down hill on a snowy path can be quite hazardous and a pole just gives you an extra point of security

FIFYA !
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I went skiing with my daughter from about the age of 5 until 15 ish. I have skied in Bardonecchia and enjoyed it. I personally like a resort where one can get an afternoon off to go and explore and do something else and B has a train station where you can catch the train into Turin and go shopping, see the sights, people watch. The Italians were v friendly and helpful in confirming that I was going to the correct destination when I got on what I hoped was ‘my’ train.
snow conditions
Just to clarify....all resorts have shops selling things which clip over shoes to prevent slipping. You don't get funny looks and lots of people wear them. They cost a few quid. Also available on Amazon and useful on icy pavements at home too. Not what mountaineers use on the Lhotse face of Everest.
ski holidays
You can get them for ski boots too. Safer and prevent wear.
ski holidays
@JoanneLL, do you know precisely where in Bardonecchia you will be in?

As it's pretty spread out and has a couple of satellite stations on the outskirts, Jafferau and Melezet.

Good thing is that the Italians as such do not do Half Term so will not be busy and it has a nice feel to the place.

I go through there five or so times a year, not so much in the winter, and at weekends it's very popular with visitors.

The main High Street up from the railway station, (where there is a regular service to Turin, hence it gets busy at the weekends and on National Holidays, and a New Years Eve afternoon I was there it seemed that each train was disgorging thousands) is full of interesting shops and restos, whereas closer to the lifts it's a bit sparser.

You can see all this if you look at Google maps and zoom in.

They will have their own ski-school and I would have hoped that they could fix you up with English speaking instructors.

Best of luck, and as for snow, just hope that you will have a day where it's a picture-postcard for you, though with a lot of snow comes fun n'games but people have been coping with snow for centuries Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy