Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl at Christmas/New Years

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello Eh oh!
Long time lurker, first time poster here.
Does anybody know what the snow is like in Ischgl at Christmas/NYE? I’m mainly looking at off piste / freeride. Is it too early in the season or, fingers crossed, is it pretty filled in with some regular dumps?
Cheers
Max
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The usual "how long is a piece of string" question Smile.

I have been skiing in Ischgl in early December when there has been no other non glacial skiing in the alps so it is as reliable as you can get for Christmas snow. However that does not mean there will be any decent off piste as the resort has (as pretty much everywhere) extensive snow making. That coupled with with the high altitude means piste skiing is pretty much guaranteed though storms can close the lifts.

Do also be aware that getting accommodation at Christmas / New Year can be very difficult.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @munich_irish!
And thanks for the note on accommodation.

And remember, a piece of string is twice as long as half its length Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
With the caveat that there are no guarantees in life I wouldn't expect you to have any issues in Jan - I mean Ischgl's season starts in late November...

Because you're looking for back country skiing you're a little more at risk (Ischgl has some of the best snow making cover in the world but it's obviously aimed at covering the pistes) but no more so than anywhere else - if it hasn't snowed in Ischgl for 3 weeks it probably hasn't snowed in St Anton/anywhere else in that part of the Alps for 3 weeks either.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also Ischgl hotels unlike many resorts only seem to run accommodation Saturday to Saturday. (I assume some might do Sunday to Sunday in a package holiday, but I've only ever booked independently. And they aren't cheap as are mostly 4star and 5 star)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It'll be as good as it is anywhere in Tyrol/Arlberg area. I've been in early December a cou[ple of times, snow was pretty good so I wouldn't be concerned about Christmas/new year. Get the Silvretta pass so that you can ski Galtur, Kappl,See as option too, easy bus ride for all three. Christmas / new year is definitely the most expensive week in the hotel Calender.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everybody!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@MaxiD, if you want freeride in New Year I would strongly recommend Tignes
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thx for the info everyone - we were pondering the week after NY - presumably a tad quieter and cheaper?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I believe the week after new year is the Russian new year or maybe Christmas? It is normally full of Russians who think that they own the resort.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
margaret wrote:
I believe the week after new year is the Russian new year or maybe Christmas? It is normally full of Russians who think that they own the resort.

hmmm ... some of them may do, I guess? Wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The week after is quieter and cheaper. It is Russian week but I've never found them a problem.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gortonator wrote:
thx for the info everyone - we were pondering the week after NY - presumably a tad quieter and cheaper?

Been twice in that week - not a problem
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gortonator wrote:
margaret wrote:

hmmm ... some of them may do, I guess? Wink

Naa, Ischgl's very tightly owned by "The Family" who are more than willing for Russian's and other visitors to spend their cash in the resort but you basically never see property for sell actually IN Ischgl. Spend an apres ski evening chatting to a British guy who owned an apartment in town...but only after his daughter had been married to on of "The Family" for over 10 years. And even then I think there was a clause that meant he had to give "The Family" first refusal when he wants to sell it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy