Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski lessons in Hinterglemm

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All
My wife and I are looking to book a week in Hinterglemm in Jan 2022, staying at Hotel Almrausch.

We would like to have some ski tuition (group lessons due to cost) and also need to hire skis (we have boots etc). We are going with Crystal and wondered whether booking lessons/hire with them is a good idea or if there are better deals available by arranging independently - any recommendations appreciated. This will be our third ski trip, but my wife is still nervous about skiing and getting around so ideally would like the ski school within easy walk/ski to minimize the stress factor.

Also does anyone know of this hotel, in particular whether it is genuinely ski in /ski out as one of the reasons we chose it is because of its apparent proximity to slopes/lift.

Thanks in advance
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Also does anyone know of this hotel, in particular whether it is genuinely ski in /ski out as one of the reasons we chose it is because of its apparent proximity to slopes/lift.

The hotel is in a great spot for access to the slopes. Next door is a T-bar which will give you access to the whole of the Schattberg and Zwolferkogel areas without having to walk anywhere. It's also very easy to get over to Leogang and make a nice day out completing a circuit of the valley.

If you like a bit of cheesy apres, this can be found at the Schwarzacher restaurant by the bottom of the U-bahn. The U-bahn is also open later into the evening for night skiing so you can use it to ski home again, although the run back to your hotel won't be floodlit. It receives plenty of ambient light though from the surroundings so you won't have a problem.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@chrisbristol, the main ski school in Hinterglemm is Snow & Fun - http://skischule.com/html/englisch/skikurs%20erwachsene.html

They meet at the area under the Ubahn and the Poma lifts on the beginner slopes, so access to there from your hotel is easy. They also do equipment hire and can sell you the passes.

They can be a bit of a mixed bag - our kids had lessons with them 3 times, with two very good instructors, and one not so good who was more suited to younger kids, as she fell over almost as much as they did. Our kids still learned pretty well, but it didn’t inspire confidence. Everyone speaks good English as many are Dutch, but there are also a few grizzled locals and they probably mostly get the adults and private lessons. On balance, I’d recommend them, for convenience and general quality despite that one blip. But beware the scary clown wink

There are other ski schools, but they meet elsewhere - one by the Zwolferkogel which is now easier to reach than it was, and one on the other side of the valley on Reiterkogel.

If you want to hire independently then there are several options. Intersport Breitfuss is closest to your hotel, and has good kit but you’ll pay more for it. If you want something specific, go there. If you can cope on what others would call Bronze level kit, Gumpold at the other end of the village (next to the Snow & Fun shop) does solid gear at bargain prices, but there’s not a lot of choice. We’ve used all of them, and had no issues.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Also as @Klamm Franzer says, the Bergfried lift beside your hotel is a bit of a gem. Yes, its a T-bar, but it gets you from street level into the main area with ease, and the slope down it is great for a morning warmup because it is usually almost empty even in peak weeks.

At the end of each day, you can take the Ubahn up and then cut back to Bergfried to ski home. This is also fun at night, off the floodlit piste.

Alternatively, Reiterkogel is a short walk away in the other direction - enter via the underground car park, from where a lift takes to directly to the lift entrance.

If you want to visit the Goaßstall on foot, don’t walk up the piste to get there. To the right of the lift a road runs up the side of the piste, and then there’s a tunnel under the alm which you can use on foot
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you are ending any day by coming down Westgipfel, a final stop for drinks at Bergstadl is recommended - it’s in the right place to get the last rays of sun, long after the valley is in shade, and from the balcony has a good view of the valley
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We’ve used Snow and Fun too. Jnr was in the advanced teenagers group and had a wail of a time.

The OH and I were in the advanced adult group - we had one of the grizzled locals who, based on his reputation, goes by the nickname of Dr Love. The group was made up of me, my OH and a German guy who was a similar age - late 30s early 40s, the rest were late teens/early twenties.

Dr Love was very thorough, although we never seemed to stop for a rest all day. It was a warm few days and any time in lifts was spent wiping sweat off our heads and trying to get our helmets to dry out! On one of the days the German chap, Vlad, got to the bottom of a piste and just told us he’d had enough and was going for a swim Laughing To be honest the instruction was excellent, he just worked us ridiculously hard! It was a good job that we’d only booked 3 days of lessons otherwise it wouldn’t have been much of a holiday!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone for your advice, really helpful. Its given me a lot of confidence in the choice of hotel/location - superb!

Snow and Fun look like good value and have a 12% earlier booking discount. Probably at least €100 euro PP cheaper than using Crystal. Looking forward to meeting Dr Love!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy